Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Vegetables in an old Copper Boiler

Options
  • 03-08-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it is unhealthy to grow vegetables in an old copper boiler. I'm going to cut it in half and mount it, fill it with soil and plant some vegetables in it. I've been doing up the back garden this past month and I'm recycling everything basically. Using old pallets and getting great use out of them for making raised beds, fencing. Even using the nails again. Very thrifty.

Basically, will the copper react with the soil and would it then be unhealthy to eat the vegetables out of it?

God bless,

Phil.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Slumlion

Does anyone know if it is unhealthy to grow vegetables in an old copper boiler. I'm going to cut it in half and mount it, fill it with soil and plant some vegetables in it. I've been doing up the back garden this past month and I'm recycling everything basically. Using old pallets and getting great use out of them for making raised beds, fencing. Even using the nails again. Very thrifty.

Basically, will the copper react with the soil and would it then be unhealthy to eat the vegetables out of it?

God bless,

Phil.

You could make a nice few quid if you sold that copper to a scrap yard,I'd imagine it will react with the moisture in the ground and turn green due to oxidation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Slumlion

If you did eat the vegetables you could
    A)Suffer copper posioning
    B)Turn into an incredible hulk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Considering you can kill trees by hammering copper into them this might be a bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Boiling coppers in the first place is iffy if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

been wondering about this myself, I have had a Fig tree growng in one for about 10 years and in the odd (very odd) year they ripen I've eaten them .
    The organic regulations have restrictions about copper sulphide use though, very interesting :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement