Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Opera to go to?

Options
  • 04-08-2009 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a bit of a dilemma...
    I'm going to be in Italy from mid September through to early October and really want to go see an Opera. Honestly, I'd love to go see them all but the people I am going with will have to be forced to go against their will so I must choose just one to go to.

If you were bringing someone to an opera, which of the above would you consider as the most easily accessible for people who would have a limited interest in opera normally?
    (I'm hoping if I bring them to one they enjoy early on, that they will come with me to another one or two!;))

And I am definitely going to Pelléas et Mélisande in Testo di MaurIce Maeterlinck, Rome on the 7th of October, even if it means I have to go alone!

If you could go to just one Opera, which would it be? 4 votes

La Traviata in Scuola Grande S. Giovanni Evangelista, Venice on 24-09
    0% 0 votes
    Tosca in Scuola Grande S. Giovanni Evangelista, Venice on 27-09
    25% 1 vote
    Rigoletto in Teatro Verdi, Salerno on 04-10
    25% 1 vote
    La Boheme in Teatro Comunale Di Bologna, Bologna on 06-10
    0% 0 votes
    The Barber of Seville in Il Fuligno - Firenze, Florence on 06-10
    50% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Clare what a tough choice! I have been to the opera about 1000 times in the past 25 years; of the choices you have given for first time opera goers - Rigoletto with a close second for Boheme or Tosca. and do try to get to Traviata - does this help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Thanks Westtip, it definitely does!
    It's great to get people's opinions, especially when I haven't attended an opera before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Did you get to choose your opera then? If you are back in Dublin on October 10th I would hihgly recommend the Tosca been screened at Swords and Dundrum cinemas - these are live telecasts of operas with fantastic casts live from the Metropolitan opera in New York - not quite like going to the theatre but the medium works really well. Tosca is such a great opera and this one has a great cast look it up on the Opera Ireland web site

http://www.operaireland.ie/

Advertisement