Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Exam 2011

• 04-08-2009 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Leaving Certificate Examination, 2011

English
    Herewith is the list of prescribed texts for the Leaving Certificate Examination, 2011
    As the syllabus indicates, students are required to study from this list:

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]One text on its own from the following texts: -

BINCHY, Maeve Circle of Friends (O)
    BRONTË, Emily Wuthering Heights (H/O)
    IBSEN, Henrik A Doll’s House (H/O)
    JOHNSTON, Jennifer How Many Miles to Babylon? (O)
    MONK KIDD, Sue The Secret Life of Bees (O)
    MURPHY, Tom A Whistle in the Dark (H/O)
    O’CASEY, Sean The Plough and the Stars (O)
    SHAKESPEARE, William Hamlet (H/O)
    STEINBECK, John The Grapes of Wrath (H/O)
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]One of the texts marked with H/O may be studied on its own at Higher Level and at Ordinary Level.

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]One of the texts marked with O may be studied on its own at Ordinary Level.

2. Three other texts in a comparative manner, according to the comparative modes prescribed for this course.

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Any texts from the list of texts prescribed for comparative study, other than the one already chosen for study on its own, may be selected for the comparative study. Texts chosen must be from the prescribed list for the current year.

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]At Higher Level and at Ordinary Level, a film may be studied as one of the three texts in a comparative study.

3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] The Comparative Modes for Examination in 2011 are:

Higher Level (i) Theme or Issue
    (ii) The General Vision and Viewpoint
    (iii) The Cultural Context

Ordinary Level (i) Relationships
    (ii)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Theme
    (iii)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Social Setting

4. Shakespearean Drama

At Higher Level a play by Shakespeare must be one of the texts chosen. This can be studied on its own or as an element in a comparative study.

At Ordinary Level the study of a play by Shakespeare is optional.

5. Poetry

Higher Level:

A selection from the poetry of eight poets is prescribed for Higher Level.

Students will be expected to have studied at least six poems by each poet.

Ordinary Level:

A total of 36 poems is prescribed for Ordinary Level.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    Texts prescribed for comparative study, for examination in the year 2011

AUSTEN, Jane Emma
    BINCHY, Maeve Circle of Friends
    BOWEN, Elizabeth The Last September
    BRANAGH, Kenneth (Dir.) As You Like It (Film)
    BRONTË, Emily Wuthering Heights
    CHANG, Jung Wild Swans
    COETZEE, J.M. Boyhood: Scenes from Provincial Life
    CURTIZ, Michael (Dir.) Casablanca (Film)
    DALDRY, Stephen (Dir.) Billy Elliot (Film)
    DICKENS, Charles Hard Times
    FRIEL, Brian Dancing at Lughnasa
    GAGE, Eleni North of Ithaka
    HARRIS, Robert Pompeii
    HOSSEINI, Khaled The Kite Runner
    IBSEN, Henrik A Doll’s House

ISHIGURO, Kazuo Never Let Me Go
    JOHNSTON, Jennifer How Many Miles to Babylon?
    KEANE, John B Sive
    MacLAVERTY, Bernard Lamb
    MARTEL, Yann Life of Pi
    McDONAGH, Martin The Lonesome West
    McEWAN, Ian Atonement
    MEIRELLES, Fernando (Dir.) The Constant Gardener (Film)
    MONK KIDD, Sue The Secret Life of Bees
    MOORE, Brian Lies of Silence
    MURPHY, Tom A Whistle in the Dark
    NGOZI ADICHIE, Chimamanda Purple Hibiscus
    O’CASEY, Sean The Plough and the Stars
    O’DONNELL, Damien (Dir.) Inside I’m Dancing (Film)
    PETTERSON, Per Out Stealing Horses
    PICOULT, Jodi My Sister’s Keeper
    RADFORD, Michael (Dir.) Il Postino (Film)
    ROSOFF, Meg How I Live Now
    SHAKESPEARE, William Hamlet
    The Tempest
    SHIELDS, Carol Unless
    SOPHOCLES Oedipus the King
    STEINBECK, John The Grapes of Wrath
    TREVOR, William The Story of Lucy Gault
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    Poets Prescribed for Higher Level

BOLAND, Eavan The War Horse
    Child of Our Time
    The Famine Road
    The Shadow Doll
    White Hawthorn in the West of Ireland
    Outside History
    The Black Lace Fan My Mother Gave Me
    This Moment
    The Pomegranate
    Love

DICKINSON, Emily “Hope” is the thing with feathers
    There’s a certain Slant of light
    I felt a Funeral, in my Brain
    A Bird came down the Walk
    I heard a Fly buzz – when I died
    The Soul has Bandaged moments
    I could bring You Jewels – had I a mind to
    A narrow Fellow in the Grass
    I taste a liquor never brewed
    After great pain, a formal feeling comes
    FROST, Robert The Tuft of Flowers
    Mending Wall
    After Apple-Picking
    The Road Not Taken
    Birches
    ‘Out, Out-’
    Spring Pools
    Acquainted with the Night
    Design
    Provide, Provide
    HOPKINS, Gerard Manley God’s Grandeur
    Spring
    As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame
    The Windhover
    Pied Beauty
    Felix Randal
    Inversnaid
    I wake and feel the fell of dark, not day
    No worst there is none. Pitched past pitch of grief
    Thou art indeed just, Lord, if I contend
    KAVANAGH, Patrick Inniskeen Road: July Evening

Shancoduff
    from The Great Hunger Section I
    Advent
    A Christmas Childhood
    Epic
    Canal Bank Walk
    Lines Written on a Seat on the Grand Canal
    The Hospital
    On Raglan Road
    RICH, Adrienne Aunt Jennifer’s Tigers
    Uncle Speaks in the Drawing Room
    Power
    Storm Warnings
    Living in Sin
    The Roofwalker
    Our Whole Life
    Trying to Talk with a Man
    Diving Into the Wreck
    From a Survivor
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    WORDSWORTH, William To My Sister
    A slumber did my spirit seal
    She dwelt among the untrodden ways
    Composed upon Westminster Bridge
    It is a beauteous evening, calm and free
    The Solitary Reaper
    from The Prelude:

The Stolen Boat [ll357-400]
    Skating [ll425-463]

Lines Composed… above Tintern Abbey

YEATS, William Butler The Lake Isle of Innisfree
    September 1913
    The Wild Swans at Coole
    An Irish Airman Foresees his Death
    Easter 1916
    The Second Coming
    Sailing to Byzantium
    from Meditations in Time of Civil War:
    VI, The Stare’s Nest by My Window
    In Memory of Eva Gore-Booth and Con Markiewicz
    Swift’s Epitaph
    An Acre of Grass
    from Under Ben Bulben: V and VI
    Politics
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT] Poetry Prescribed for Ordinary Level
    ADCOCK, Fleur For Heidi with Blue Hair

ARMITAGE, Simon It Ain’t What You Do…

AUDEN, W.H. Funeral Blues

BOLAND, Eavan Child of Our Time
    This Moment
    Love

DICKINSON, Emily I felt a Funeral, in my Brain
    I heard a Fly buzz – when I died

DUFFY, Carol Ann Valentine

DURCAN, Paul Going Home to Mayo…

FROST, Robert The Tuft of Flowers
    Mending Wall
    ‘Out, Out –’

HARDIE, Kerry Daniel’s Duck

HERBERT, George The Collar

HOPKINS, Gerard Manley Spring
    Inversnaid

KAVANAGH, Patrick Shancoduff
    A Christmas Childhood

KENNELLY, Brendan A Glimpse of Starlings

LEVERTOV, Denise What Were They Like?

MONAHAN, Noel All Day Long

MORGAN, Edwin Strawberries

MULDOON, Paul Anseo

MURPHY, Richard Moonshine

O’CALLAGHAN, Julie The Net

RICH, Adrienne Aunt Jennifer’s Tigers
    Uncle Speaks in the Drawing Room
    Trying to Talk with a Man

SHUTTLE, Penelope Jungian Cows

WORDSWORTH, William She dwelt among the untrodden ways
    It is a beauteous evening, calm and free
    From The Prelude:
    Skating [ll 425-463]

YEATS, William Butler The Wild Swans at Coole
    An Irish Airman Foresees his Death

WILBUR, Richard The Writer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

No Longley, Walcott or Keats on the poetry section.

Would prefer Hamlet than Lear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 curiousts

Hi Elegance, I'm a mature student and I'm going back to repeat LC English Higher and plan to sit the exam in June 2011. I've been out of the loop for a good 10 years so I'm not so familar with the new syllabus.
    I was just wondering can I choose Hamlet to be the the text in Section one to study on its own or is this for section 4 only? Then do I choose 3 other texts for the comparative from the list of prescribed books and another text for section 1 if I can't choose a play? Would you recommend any which would work well together? Or can you choose a film and a book to compare?
    Sorry if this is confusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

curiousts wrote: »
    Hi Elegance, I'm a mature student and I'm going back to repeat LC English Higher and plan to sit the exam in June 2011. I've been out of the loop for a good 10 years so I'm not so familar with the new syllabus.
    I was just wondering can I choose Hamlet to be the the text in Section one to study on its own or is this for section 4 only? Then do I choose 3 other texts for the comparative from the list of prescribed books and another text for section 1 if I can't choose a play? Would you recommend any which would work well together? Or can you choose a film and a book to compare?
    Sorry if this is confusing!

Hi,

You have every right to be confused :D. The 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 do not refer to 5 separate sections of the course but rather, 5 points made on a letter sent from the department of education to schools and available on http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=17216&pcategory=17216&ecategory=17233&sectionpage=&subject=17601&language=EN&link=&page=

It will make sense if you look at the past papers on www.examinations.ie

For Higher you may do Hamlet either as a single text or as part of the comparative. Most students do 1 novel, 1 play and 1 film for the comparative. About 80% of HL students will do Hamlet for the single text, but you must do shakespeare somewhere.

A very small minority will avoid Hamlet altogether by doing 'The Tempest' for the comparative. These will most likely be external students who may have studied Hamlet before and want something new or just find 'The Tempest' more interesting. Do Hamlet. Loads of notes on the net at places like www.sparknotes.com .

There's an unseen poetry section also worth a few marks.

Here's a tip for the seen poetry: Boland :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It would be actually hilarious if Boland didn't come up next year!

Ok thanks just so I'm clear, You must study one Shakespeare play ( I picked up Hamlet the other day so I'll stick with that!) I can choose this as my single text and to answer a question in the first section..

Then 3 texts for comparative is it not hard to try and compare a novel, play and film? Can you choose 3 novels or 2 novels and a film? I had a look at the the English Paper on www.examinations.ie I can see how this section is laid out and it makes more sense now thanks for that.

I'll keep Bolan in mind for the poetry thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

curiousts wrote: »
    Ok thanks just so I'm clear, You must study one Shakespeare play ( I picked up Hamlet the other day so I'll stick with that!) I can choose this as my single text and to answer a question in the first section..

Then 3 texts for comparative is it not hard to try and compare a novel, play and film? Can you choose 3 novels or 2 novels and a film? I had a look at the the English Paper on www.examinations.ie I can see how this section is laid out and it makes more sense now thanks for that.

I'll keep Bolan in mind for the poetry thanks:)

Yes you MUST for HL study 1 shakespeare play. Hamlet for the single text is perfect and that's the first section of Paper 2 covered.

You don't have to stick to 1 play, 1 novel, 1 film. I think it's just that the 1p 1n 1f combination is shorter in terms of study length than 3 novels but go with what suits you and the comparative modes for 2011. Heres a thread from a while ago about what people did for 2010 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055871867&highlight=comparative

Ah yes didn't think of the study factor trying to do 3 novels!
    That's great thanks for your advice Pathway33:)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

We're taking Circle of Friends (already completed), Hamlet (also completed), Sive & Billy Elliot. As for poets, we've so far covered Yeats, Kavanagh & Frost.

Couldn't believe the Yeats question that came up this year - had my name written all over it.... :rolleyes:

Hoping for Kavanagh seen as how Yeats is fairly unlikely to grace us with his presence again, although, we haven't covered Boland yet so, might be a reenactment of LC 2010....

x

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

We're taking Circle of Friends (already completed), Hamlet (also completed), Sive & Billy Elliot. As for poets, we've so far covered Yeats, Kavanagh & Frost.

Couldn't believe the Yeats question that came up this year - had my name written all over it.... :rolleyes:

Hoping for Kavanagh seen as how Yeats is fairly unlikely to grace us with his presence again, although, we haven't covered Boland yet so, might be a reenactment of LC 2010....

x

hey!:) we have done yeats, rich, kavanagh and frost this year AND didn't yeats, rich and kavanagh all come up fpr 2010!!!...well im so ragin:P heres hoping that boland is easy then! when you think about it though....theres 8 poets on the course....4 on the paper so we can definately leave out 3 poets altogether...so thats not so bad!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Woo its my first comment! :D
    We've done Kavanagh, Rich, Boland, Yeats, Frost, Dickinson and we're starting Wordsworth before Christmas.
    Our three texts are Hamlet, Billy Elliot and The Kite Runner.
    And we've done Wuthering Heights.
    Trying to focus on the comparative at the moment which I actually hate! Its so confusing! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Anyone have the 2011 timetable, not on examinations atm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

THFC wrote: »
    Anyone have the 2011 timetable, not on examinations atm.

It won't be up for a few weeks yet, I think.

But it will be more or less exactly the same as last year's, of course with difference dates. I'm not sure what date it starts on, but it's always the Wednesday after the June Bank Holiday (which would make it the 3rd?) so just subtract 6 days from last year and that should give you a very good idea what it is.

If there are any changes, they will be minor (e.g. Geography in morning instead of evening, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

It won't be up for a few weeks yet, I think.

But it will be more or less exactly the same as last year's, of course with difference dates. I'm not sure what date it starts on, but it's always the Wednesday after the June Bank Holiday (which would make it the 3rd?) so just subtract 6 days from last year and that should give you a very good idea what it is.

If there are any changes, they will be minor (e.g. Geography in morning instead of evening, etc.)

They start Wednesday 8th afaik. I stand to be corrected however..! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mob123

Dear All,
    Re. Tom Murphy's Whistle in the Dark - in Liberty Hall 15- 20 November 2011
    I'm a teacher and brought a group of students to see this play tonight. They were happily stunned by the performance. Comments afterwards included
    "Ah now I get it."
    "When you just read it in class you really miss out things."
    "I hadn't expected that."
    "All students should have to go coz it's reeeeealy good."
    "I actually enjoyed that. Thanks for taking us Miss."

My colleagues agree that it gave an insight into the Carney family dynamics which you can't fully comprehend unless you see it in the flesh. Anticipate no nudity, be prepared for surprises and well-timed humour. You'll be glad you went.

I have nothing to gain by by urging you strongly to get on the phone or the internet and book your tickets. It's only around for few more days, 15th to the 20th November, 2010.
    www.ctb.ie/tickets/dcb
    schools - email - admin@centralticketbureau.com
    Central ticket bureau telephone - 0818 205205
    Our student tickets cost 15 Euros each.
    8pm - 10.15pm

Encourage your teacher to take you. Go with friends/family. I'm here at my computer at midnight with a cold wind outside and rain lashing down because this is too good a play to miss out on.

If you're studying this play, considering studying this play or just want a really good night out, please go to Troppo Theatre company's production in Liberty Hall Theatre, Eden Quay, Dublin 1. Director Lauda Dowdall's take on the matter is spot on. The superb cast, some of whom you will recognise, are Harry - Andy Murray, Hugo - Brian Comaskey, Betty - Jacqueline Corrigan, Iggy - Dez McMahon, Mush - Matt Ryan, Michael - Fran Cooke, Dada - Jim Corcoran, Des - Padraig Dooney.

This is my first time posting something so if I have made a mess of it, apologies. The sentiment remains nonetheless.
    Best of luck to all exam students out there. Take all the help you can and keep chiselling away, bit by bit.
    M. O'Brien
    BCC

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    They start Wednesday 8th afaik. I stand to be corrected however..! ;)

Yes, you're right of course! Not sure where I got the 3rd from - I think they started on the 3rd the year before my LC (2010 - started on the 9th) so the 8th makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ash16

Hey guys any one happen to have good notes for the any of the poets? Perferably Dickinson or Boland? Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Just wondering, for HL comparative does the theme question have to deal with any specific themes or can you choose any theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Teutorix wrote: »
    Just wondering, for HL comparative does the theme question have to deal with any specific themes or can you choose any theme?

As far as I know you can chose whatever theme you want to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

is one of kavanagh or yeats guaranteed to come up?

No, no poet is guaranteed to come up. Also it's very unlikely that Kavanagh or Yeats will come up as they came up last year, though it's still possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

really? i was under the impression that an irish poet and a female poet always came up, balls to that

thanks for your reply by the way

It's not law that a woman and an Irish poet have to come up, but it's been the case every year. It's more likely to be Eavan Boland (both Irish AND a woman :eek:), Frost, Dickinson and Wordsworth (never been up). Rich, Kavanagh, and Yeats were on last year. Oh yeah, Hopkins could be up too (don't like him atal).

But as I said, none of this is guaranteed, but it's the most likely scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

could really do with some worthworth essays.
    any help would be great?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NANNE

HI I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW PEOPLE ARE GETTING ON WITH THE IRISH COURSE? ANY TIPS ETC ON WHAT MIGHT COME UP?? IM A MATURE STUDENT REPEATING EXTERNALLY SO I'M FINDING IT QUITE DIFFICULT SO ANY TIPS/ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT! Thanks! :)

shanmo wrote: »
    could really do with some worthworth essays.
    any help would be great?
    thanks

I was told to buy "New English Key Notes". It has essays for the poetry, Hamlet and comparative.

NANNE wrote: »
    HI I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW PEOPLE ARE GETTING ON WITH THE IRISH COURSE? ANY TIPS ETC ON WHAT MIGHT COME UP?? IM A MATURE STUDENT REPEATING EXTERNALLY SO I'M FINDING IT QUITE DIFFICULT SO ANY TIPS/ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT! Thanks! :)

For the higher level poetry it's very unlikely that Uirchill an Chreagain will come up as it was on last year and has been up 4 times. I would put my money on An tOilean to come up.
    I wouldn't say Níl Aon Ní or Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa will be up for the ordinary poems.
    It's almost impossible to predict what will come up for the prós.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

comparing "inside im dancing" and "lies of silence" ???
    i think its feckin impossible ! anyone want to prove me wrong .... cause that what we are studying for ours :/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HappyOut148

To all Leaving Cert Students:

Do any of you find that your work load during the week is way to big and that fitting in study is a problem.?
    Between me and a few friends (who are in different schools to me) we find that we are getting way to much homework and no enough time to study at night and we are going to be really late and can't help that because of the work load?..

Anyone feel the same?.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

NANNE wrote: »

My teacher said for the prós: An Bhean Óg and Fiche Bliain ag Fás
    possibly An Cearrbhach.
    Poems: Jack, Gealt and Bimse Buan
    Oiche Nollaig na mBan, Magdiléanna and An tOilean.

I'm not saying that's definite but it's what I'm sticking to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement