Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Bouncers on Boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

i find if you tell the bouncer black is very flattering on him or his headset makes him look like G.I Joe, they usually take the compliment and let you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

When did i insult and antagonise anyone? How could anyone explain or defend a refusal of another bouncer? I never said that bouncers are the law themselves, clubs have the right to refuse anyone. In know way have i insulted anyone on this thread, i was pointing out that there is one of these threads every week and im sick of it. If you look through this thread you will see that it is bouncers being generalized and called names.

I totally agree what the other poster commented about your posts. Maybe take a minute and read back through your posts and you might in someway get what he was saying. BTW you sound like a delightful person!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 zGeek

bound to be bouncers here and there, why shouldn't there be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

komodosp wrote: »
    I can barely believe what I'm reading... Tips on how to get past bouncers? Allowed into a club? What kind of bullsh!t is this!? Oh please sir, what kind of salad tossing do I have to do to spend huge money in your club? If a bouncer is going to be an arsehole I don't f**kin want to be there when there are plenty of half-decent friendly places around. The managers and owners are probably arrogant boll*xes too if they let that sh!te go on.

F*ckin hell you don't go to a shop and have to justify why you should be allowed buy a jar of jam

Yeah that's it, it's the bouncers club that's why he's standing on the door listening to drunk people all night
    waraf wrote: »
    I don't think it's ok for people to abuse other posters just cause they're mods Dragan. Someone was banned earlier in this this thread for doing just that and ironically this whole thread is about people abusing their power.
    How often do people bitch to you when your working? How often do you have to read about how thick you are and that you can barely read??? We get it every weekend then during the week on this.
    JMcCR wrote: »
    Not attacking the poster but highlighting an attitude....

From reading this thread one thing stands out. You have not defended or explained the actual reasons for refusal. You just insult and antagonise everyone who complains about members of your profession. In my opinion what you have actually done here is concrete the general perception that bouncers are a law into themselves and when asked for their reasons, they just tell you to complain to your parents.

Real insightful. :rolleyes:
    Yet if we try to be polite and say your too drunk or you don't fit the dress code we are nothing but power tripping ****??? F*cked if we do and f*ucked if we don't
    tallaght01 wrote: »
    When I consider the guys I knew who went on to be bouncers, I'm not surprised they make dumb decisions.

You take a multi-milion euro club, and you put some guys on the door who, let's be honest, are there because of their physical attributes :P It doesn't make business sense.
    If someone starts on you in a pub would you rather have someone small/average and slight of build to try get them out the pub or someone that's built that will get them out of the pub??
    Complain all you want about size, when someone starts in a pub your quite happy to have guys there that will put an end to it without having to resort to throwing punches, yet if you have a good hastle free night it's never because the security did their jobs.
    ODD-JOB wrote: »
    absolutely ,..... dragan is really showing his doorman attitude here.

I especially love the bit where he says " show bravery n' come up here and say it to my face " ..... in a im' bigger than you mentality.

a real tough guy.
    I'd rather have some guy I refused say it to my face than shout abuse at me from across the road giving the place a bad name. How often do you deal with drunk people in your job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

I just gave up bouncing, was doing it in Perth while on a VISA there. It was good craic and I dealt with people fairly although by far the biggest troublemakers we had were the Irish backpackers/Holiday VISA crew. Cork fcukers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Over the years, I've only been refused entry (or booted out) a few times. Nearly all of the times it was warranted.

What I can't understand is why people get so bothered about it. Especially in the era of mobile phones. Can't you just ring your mates and go somewhere else?

That said, if the same thing happened to me as dlofnep, I'd be raging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The bouncers I deal with regularly are sound out.. well it's not like there in the most popular place in Ireland.. Harriers over-16 'niteclub' ahem. Only don't let people in if they're obviously very drunk, they'd let people that are a bit drunk in if they promise to be good:D. They've thrown out a few of my mates who were acting the shíte in fairness, but they've thrown out one or two for nothing. Except for one or two of tem they are grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I do occasional event security and the rich-kids are the ones wih the biggest mouths when they're drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Yet if we try to be polite and say your too drunk or you don't fit the dress code we are nothing but power tripping ****??? F*cked if we do and f*ucked if we don't

Actually I think if bouncers gave real reasons like this people would be much happier. "not tonight" or "regulars only" without giving a reason just infuriates people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Quint wrote: »
    Actually I think if bouncers gave real reasons like this people would be much happier. "not tonight" or "regulars only" without giving a reason just infuriates people.

"Regulars only" means they dont like the look of you..its actually a semi-polite way of saying you look like a cocky so-and-so and i dont want you in my pob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

agreed. Nobody in their right mind (ie,sober) would argue the "too drunk" point. also,if your dresscode says no runners and they're wearing runners, again, how can they argue?

but the "not tonight" thing, now that's a power trip. i know they're doing a job but they shouldn't underestimate how much they could ruin people's nights doing this.

I didn't say either of those in my post? I gave two real reasons that people always bitch about.

agreed. Nobody in their right mind (ie,sober) would argue the "too drunk" point. also,if your dresscode says no runners and they're wearing runners, again, how can they argue?

but the "not tonight" thing, now that's a power trip. i know they're doing a job but they shouldn't underestimate how much they could ruin people's nights doing this.
    Actually if you say sorry mate your too intoxicated to someone who's "sober" or claims to be, they'll get insulted and will argue with you for ages over how sober they are. You can't believe how much someone will argue with you until you do the job tbh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

WOuld get refused rarely, few times ever, if they are refusing you jsut to be a ****, then tell them to their face and leave. Some are *****, most are just doing their job. Worked with some of the lovliest people that were bouncers, some not, same as anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Sorry:pac:, arseholes tend to reek of alcohol and be loud as hell. A queue is the best way to judge if there are well behaved.

I make it my business not to drink alcohol before I go to a club and I am most certainly a man who has a distinct air of humility around him. I also make a point of accepting their decision and walk away. Still, I get refused plenty of times. Must be because I'm a 22 year old bald man and that I don't look like the typical metro.

Having said that, the amount of times I've got into clubs just by wearing my glasses will shock you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Katarn1 wrote: »
    Yeah its a gay club and the girls all knew that.

Gay bars tend to get a lot of traffic from straight girls cause the bars tend to have a reputation for a good laugh. According to the bouncer there was incidents in the past where the people got very offended when they were hit on by a gay person.

Huh, if a girl hits on me when I'm out with my straight friends, i take it as a compliment. I wonder how seriously I'd be taken if I told the bouncers/management that I was offended at this...

PS Not taking a shot at you Katarn, just can't believe that people going into a gay pub or club haven't considered the possibility that someone may find them attractive and may try to chat them up.

s_carnage wrote: »
    I totally agree what the other poster commented about your posts. Maybe take a minute and read back through your posts and you might in someway get what he was saying. BTW you sound like a delightful person!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Explain? I read all the posts,
    How would there be any bouncers on Boards? If you cant read you can hardly use a computer.
    I was contemplating kicking him up and down the street.
    And what am i saying about the punters?. I get what he is saying but some poster just have an agenda, generalizing all bouncer not realizing the crap we put up with, i take pride in my job and do it well. Its a hard bloody job to do and i bet a lot of people would not last a day in the job. If people feel bouncers are **** go over to ranting and raving.

Would you complain if someone didnt let you in to their house?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Was out with a bunch of lads and all but one of us got into this one place. The reason he didn't get in was because he had a bad attitude. They even told him it was ok, only for him to walk halfway in and return for more arguments. Needlesss to say they told him to go away. We all went outside to him contemplating where to go instead when i just told him to relax and go back to the bouncer and apologise and talk to him in a clear friendly manner which he did. He was let in. I was impressed with that bouncer's patience for people.
    Katarn1 wrote: »
    Yeah its a gay club and the girls all knew that.

Gay bars tend to get a lot of traffic from straight girls cause the bars tend to have a reputation for a good laugh. According to the bouncer there was incidents in the past where the people got very offended when they were hit on by a gay person.

Have to laugh at that. Man knowingly walks into a gay bar for drinks and is shocked when men hit on him :eek:
    marko91 wrote: »
    the bouncers in Q-bar are alri,especialy the ginger 1 he let me 17 year old brother in on saturday:Ponly got refused in Q-bar once cos we had no I.D

Pity the Q-Bar is muck :pac:

Have you never just got a bad vibe of people sometimes?
    LZ5by5 wrote: »

Having said that, the amount of times I've got into clubs just by wearing my glasses will shock you. :pac:

Ah yes. Specs is the way to go. Never been refused wearing them. If the place is particularly notorious for refusals i make the point of propping my glasses up on the bridge of my nose with a finger. Nerds don't cause trouble :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

One day I was wearing tracksuit bottoms walking through temple bar. They were a baggy pair, not tucked into my socks or anything but em, I decided to walk into the Quays bar and restaurant for a club sandwich, and the restaurant is located in another door. So this was roughly 3pm in the day. when I approached the door, a bouncer from inside the pub came out the other door fairly hastily and asked me was I alright. I said I was, and walked up the stairs.

I thought to myself, what a wanker.

I dont know why I posted this, but it seems bouncers suspect that anyone not dressed in their sunday best at 3pm in the day is a knacker. Paranoid *****

One day I was wearing tracksuit bottoms walking through temple bar. They were a baggy pair, not tucked into my socks or anything but em, I decided to walk into the Quays bar and restaurant for a club sandwich, and the restaurant is located in another door. So this was roughly 3pm in the day. when I approached the door, a bouncer from inside the pub came out the other door fairly hastily and asked me was I alright. I said I was, and walked up the stairs.

I dont know why I posted this, but it seems bouncers suspect that anyone not dressed in their sunday best at 3pm in the day is a knacker. Paranoid *****
    Managers set down a dress code, we have to enforce it. If your in work and you ignore the rules of the place you can hardly expect to remain employed there for very long now can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I hear these stories a lot, but personally I've never been refused from a club. And more often than not I'm already fairly drunk by the time I'm heading in.

Sometimes wielding a bloody axe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

komodosp wrote: »
    I can barely believe what I'm reading... Tips on how to get past bouncers?

They're "tips" in the same way "inhale, then exhale shortly afterwards" would be a tip for staying alive.

There are 2 simple points to "get past a bouncer",
    1: Don't act like an arsehole
    2: Try not to look guilty

It's really just common sense. They're there to do a job, which is keep out people that might make trouble. This can include people who are drunk and obnoxious, loud arseholes, and people who look like they've just murdered somebody.
    If somebody walks up to a bouncer and looks like he's about to start a fight, the bouncer will hardly tell him that, so sometimes they need vague reasons to refuse people.
    This kind of person is easy to recognise, they're the kind of people that, having been told they're not getting in, they'll argue aggressively with the bouncer, and just confirm that the bouncer did the right thing.

s_carnage wrote: »
    BTW you sound like a delightful person!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

He actually is, he's lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well you were in the City Centre wearing tracksuit bottoms. A guy had one word with you to see if you speak English or Junkie and then let you stroll on through. Must of been a tough moment for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

dsmythy wrote: »
    Ah yes. Specs is the way to go. Never been refused wearing them. If the place is particularly notorious for refusals i make the point of propping my glasses up on the bridge of my nose with a finger. Nerds don't cause trouble :pac:

It's the Clark Kent effect! Without the specs I'm a shaven headed menace who never gets in. With the specs I'm an egg head nerd who always gets in. :P :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Katarn1

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Huh, if a girl hits on me when I'm out with my straight friends, i take it as a compliment. I wonder how seriously I'd be taken if I told the bouncers/management that I was offended at this...

PS Not taking a shot at you Katarn, just can't believe that people going into a gay pub or club haven't considered the possibility that someone may find them attractive and may try to chat them up.

I get what you're saying Marvel, and I agree.

His words to the girls were something to the effect of, this is a gay bar, if a girl comes up and starts dancing with you, dont be freaked out.

Its strange to think that someone would react harshly, but its possible they did not know it was a gay bar or that the person who came onto them was persistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

in my opinion some people just give off a natural bad vibe, a vibe that tells bouncers this asshóle is going to cause trouble.me i dont know i dont think i have that.im 6.1 near 13 stone and iv gone up to so many bouncers clearly out of my face locked and i still get in.but then again iv never been in a fight in a club in my life.i must have a harmless look which is the way i am anyway.the key is to say hello and a quick friendly nod.studies show this method works 60% of the time everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sounds about right to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Sofaspud wrote: »
    They're "tips" in the same way "inhale, then exhale shortly afterwards" would be a tip for staying alive.

There are 2 simple points to "get past a bouncer",
    1: Don't act like an arsehole
    2: Try not to look guilty
    Thats hitting the nail exactly on the head.

If you are refused for whatever reason however, have a bit of dignity and walk away ffs.

Its not the end of the fcuking world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭RedXIV

More bouncer bashing?

Haven't read all the thread but for my 2c I did my time on the doors, and people here seem to not quite grasp how crap the job can be, I worked with a guy how had someone whip a chain across his head and had another guy drive his car through the front door of the club leaving him in hospital for a few weeks. When you hear all this stuff and you're working on doors, all I was thinking about was how to keep the night as boring as possible. If guys looked like they were gonna cause trouble, we're perfectly entitled to deny them entry.

this really is a case of walk a mile in their shoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Went to the palace week before last with my boyfriend who had come up from Galway. We got in there early enough, I think it was just before 11, walked up to the door and went to walk in. Bouncer stopped him and said "hang on there". He asked had he been here before. He said no, and the bouncer looked ready to tell him to get lost. I interjected to say it was because he was from Galway. I said I had been.

He then asked for our IDs. We gave them to him. He gave my boyfriends a really long look.

Then he asked how many we had had, we had literally only had about 2 in mine before getting the bus into town. He told him that his eyes were very glassy for someone who had two so not tonight.

It was if he had decided straight out that he wasnt getting in. He's 24, doesn't look young or like3 a scumbag in the least and was wearing a shirt and shoes. There was absolutely no reason for it at all.

Advertisement