Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Identifying This Bird

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That page would appear to be private, it says I don't have permission to view it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

Don't think it is a buzzard but some kind of falcon. More then likely a cross breed such as peregrine and something else...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Hello Peeps,

Can you good folks tell me what bird is in the photo below?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoolka05/3735562669/sizes/m/

Many thanks.
    just gone through my bird book,and this is the list of what it could be,hen harrier,not a buzzard because that only lives in a small area of the north of ireland,a merlin looks the most likely or even a peregrine .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

looks very similar to a saker falcon but id say defo a falcon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My security software blocks flicker, but just for clarification. Buzzards are now widespread through the entire North, East and South of the country and spreading West. Any book that says they are confined to a small area in the North is at least 20 years out of date. Confined to the North would suggest 5 to 10 years out of date.

A Merlin or a Peregrine?? A Merlin is tiny; being about 10ins long with a wingspan of 21ins while a Peregrine is 23ins long with wingspan 47ins so it shouldn't be hard to decide between these two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

getz wrote: »
    not a buzzard because that only lives in a small area of the north of ireland
    There are plenty of buzzards all along the east coast. But yeah - deffo not a buzzard.

is the picture of a wild free living bird or of one being told what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

I unfortunatelly don't know what species of bird this is. There was a little show on the festival with these birds flying around and coming to people when called. I enjoyed it.

it also has a anklet. I'd assume it's a Peregrine falcon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's from a falconry show then it really could be any species, from any continent. It could even be a cross between god-knows-what and anything.
    OP should just have asked at the show as people are always delighted to talk about their birds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Looks to be a juvenile goshawk, which are much used at shows. The markings are right for a goshawk and it has the trademark white eyebrow that both juvenile and adult goshawks have. The other bird that sprang to mind is a saker falcon, as an earlier poster has already said, which has very similar markings to a juvie goshawk and is also used a lot in shows

Kess73 wrote: »
    Looks to be a juvenile goshawk, which are much used at shows. The markings are right for a goshawk and it has the trademark white eyebrow that both juvenile and adult goshawks have. The other bird that sprang to mind is a saker falcon, as an earlier poster has already said, which has very similar markings to a juvie goshawk and is also used a lot in shows

yes i did also think it might be a Young bird which would leave it harder to pinpoint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

It's a Lanner Falcon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It's a Lanner Falcon.

It is not a lanner falcon. Lanners have a distinctive black strip on each side of their face going from above the eye to about two inches below it. Below is two pics of Lanner falcons I got online.

Lanner%20Falcon.jpg

lanner-falcon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tomahawk101

Hi folks, this bird is definitely a Male Saker Falcon.
    If yee are still in any doubt, take a look at my website and the gallery of my birds www.woodlandsfalconry.com

Hi folks, this bird is definitely a Male Saker Falcon.
    If yee are still in any doubt, take a look at my website and the gallery of my birds www.woodlandsfalconry.com

as I said early on Saker Falcon but its a young bird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Falcon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Wow I hadn't expected so many replies so thanks to everyone who did. I'm sorry it wasn't so straight forward! :o

Advertisement