Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the longest you have held on to your main car?

• 04-08-2009 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Not including classics and "pet cars" whats the longest you have held on to your main car? I have mine 4 years now. I got with almost 120K on the clock, now about 180K originally intended keeping it for about two years but looks like I could be stuck with it for another few.

My old mans Mark 1 Golf diesel lasted him 18 years from new. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

This October i'll have my Carina 2 years :D

Got it at 111K now she has 149K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

As a 1990, its not exactly classic and is my main driver. I got it in 2002 and am still driving it, and intend to continue to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I held onto a MR2 for nearly 2 years as i loved it so much, but thats the longest. Usually change every year, but that was in the days when you could buy a car in the UK, take it over here and drive it for a year then sell it for profit, sadly those days are gone:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

B4 my current berlingo van(2years) i never had a car longer then maybe 4 months just had the money to change em:( i miss do's times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

BMW E34, 8 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

my present car I bought new in January 05 with 11 kilometers on the clock. Today it has 219665 kilometers and will keep it till it falls apart :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

My Hyundai accent,
    00 reg bought around Feb last year with just under 60,000 on the clock.
    She's still running a year later now with 76,000. I can see me keeping her going for another 5 years easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

G Luxel wrote: »
    my present car I bought new in January 05 with 11 kilometers on the clock. Today it has 219665 kilometers and will keep it till it falls apart :pac:

Fifty thousand or so kilometers per year is quite some time spent in your car! I hope it is a nice place to be in and drive and not some sh1t box. What car is it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I kept my 00' Passat for 18 months, got it back when I was 18 - suited me very well at the time, and was a really great car.
    I'll probably be keeping the current (E46 BMW) until a year or so after graduation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

2002 landcruiser bought it in 03,with 28,000 miles.
    Still have it,now has 96,000 miles.Love it,wont change it for a while yet unless someone is parting with a cheap 2008 x5:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Driving 26 years this winter, have owned 9 cars so far, that makes an average of 2.88 years ...the longest was seven years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Around 4.5 years for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Used to change religiously every two years. Bought present transport 10 years ago and am still happy with it. Never let me down, cost of ownership is minimal, depreciation is all but over, a couple of hundred to maintain it each year including services, completely reliable (touch wood, the secret is to be fussy on maintenance IMHO), no rattles, nice to drive, reasonable economics. Almost afraid to change at this stage... not sure how to get something as good next time.

fishtits... boring old fart :)

(E36 318i btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

2 and a bit years, which seems to be my average. Have my current car a year and a few months, and already trying to justify changing it. Despite the fact I really like it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

been driving my sprinter for 9 years now,396,000 km, never once has it ever let me down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I kept a Hi ace for 10 years once. I have my present 2001 Clk workhorse now over 4 years. I would have changed it but the vrt changes etc made it worth so much less. I have started to do a few basic mods to it like lowering it and changing a few little things, this has renewed my interest in it, maybe a new front spoiler and some wheels next. I don't see me selling it anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

stratos wrote: »
    I kept a Hi ace for 10 years once.
    Was it the colume shift? Had one for four years, great van, only fault was the relays used to hop out from under the dash if I hit a bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

unkel wrote: »
    Fifty thousand or so kilometers per year is quite some time spent in your car! I hope it is a nice place to be in and drive and not some sh1t box. What car is it? :)

Its a Corolla saloon, its ok, at the moment I think the front shock absorbers may need replacing, but the rattling sound only happens on pothole roads, its mostly on motorways and bypasses and never abused.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Was it the colume shift? Had one for four years, great van, only fault was the relays used to hop out from under the dash if I hit a bump.

Yes column shift I loved that, and a middle seat so the girl could sit beside you, god be with the days. The ash tray was below the air vents too, so your ash got blown all over you, smoking and girls whilst driving :). I never got one bouncing enought to get the relays out, but i was probably doing it wrongly;).

Advertisement