Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commissioner of oaths or peace commissioner

Options
  • 04-08-2009 5:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

I need to find a commissioner of oaths or peace commissioner so that i can sign an affidavit.

Can you recommend anyone in galway?

How much do they charge for a very basic affidavit?

What is the difference between the two?

..... It may be much easier not to go to college than have to fill out a grant application (don't fear its not a necessary part of the application).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,429 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Look for Solicitors in the phone book, phone them and ask how much. Probably €10-20 per signature on basic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I used Terry Cunningham, Woodquay before. Was 20 euro maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I believe there's a fixed fee for this. Dermot Kilfeather (beside Quays bar) did one for me 2 years ago for 7 or 8 Euro. Probably will cost a bit more now, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near 20 Euro for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭apple26

as far as i am aware a practising solicitor can also sign this for you. the fee should be approx €10. just call into any of the offices in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's a peace commissioner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

I went to a solicitor at the bottom of eglinton street right beside the flower shop and the standard charge is E10 but I had mine typed up and it was basic so a young solicitor just looked it over and signed and stamped it and told me not to worry about the cost. Usually solicitors try to sting you every which way and if i need a solicitor I will be going back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought this was going to be a joke thread about ridiculous made up titles. Wow, there some stupid titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

and now you know how someone can have over 6000 posts:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone use one of these recently? How much did they charge? Looking for below €10.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone use one of these recently? How much did they charge? Looking for below €10.
    It's set out in the Rules of the Superior Courts that the charge is €10. If you can find someone to do it for less, you'll be getting a favour.

There's certain documents where you can get away with just a Peace Commissioner's signature, in which case you can get that for nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Robbo wrote: »
    It's set out in the Rules of the Superior Courts that the charge is €10. If you can find someone to do it for less, you'll be getting a favour.
    There's certain documents where you can get away with just a Peace Commissioner's signature, in which case you can get that for nothing.

My document requires either a Solicitor or a Commissioner of Oaths..just to witness me scrawl my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

I went to a solicitor at the bottom of eglinton street right beside the flower shop and the standard charge is E10 but I had mine typed up and it was basic so a young solicitor just looked it over and signed and stamped it and told me not to worry about the cost. Usually solicitors try to sting you every which way and if i need a solicitor I will be going back there.

Have used here too. Very straightforward and I didn't have to wait long.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

JustMary wrote: »
    What's a peace commissioner?

Back in the day, they had the power to remand prisoners if no judge was available. Up until the end of the 80s IIRC.

PS Cllr Padraig Conneely is/was one. Irony anyone?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Back in the day, they had the power to remand prisoners if no judge was available. Up until the end of the 80s IIRC.

PS Cllr Padraig Conneely is/was one. Irony anyone?!
    They can also OK search warrants if a judge can't be found and there's a need to get it done quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimmyboy11

I got my affidavit signed by this commissioner for oaths in Galway city last month; <no mails allowed, link to a website instead, thanks>.
    Super quick and efficient. Would recommend them.

Advertisement