Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overinsured?

• 04-08-2009 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this will make much sense, but - but in light of the fact that when you first give the worth/value in € of your car to the Insurer - say 10K and then auto-renew your policy every year for say five years, your then pay a premium based in part on that stated car value year on year.

My question is - if you then claim after 5 years do they not then say, hey hang on a minute, we now value that car at 5K due to wear and tear, depreciation/current market value etc?

- So then is your premium unnecessarily high based around a figure that will only ever work in the favour of the insurer and against you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Was thinking the same thing myself.

I guess you could tell them the estimated worth of your vehicle and for them to update it.

It won't have too much effect on your premium though, especially if its only a few thousand Euros different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My question is - if you then claim after 5 years do they not then say, hey hang on a minute, we now value that car at 5K due to wear and tear, depreciation/current market value etc?
    That's exactly what they'll say. Even if you insure your '97 Micra for €250,000, they'll still only pay you what a '97 Micra is worth if you write it off. It's one of the fundamental tenets of insurance.
    Raiser wrote: »
    - So then is your premium unnecessarily high based around a figure that will only ever work in the favour of the insurer and against you?
    You could ask them, but afaik, the value of the car is largely irrelevant until you get into the higher figures (€30k+)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Seamus is right. No matter what you insure it for they take the lowest between the OSMP and what you insured it for.

It made a difference to the cost of my policy - reducing the value of the car by 2 grand (Quinn)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I wasn't too sure of the value of my car when I got a quote on it, but they said a few grand either way makes no difference at all to the quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

usually a grand or two either side won't make a big difference...
    but if you bought a high priced car say two years ago, there could be a saving to be made if you haven't adjusted the value of your car ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks for the replies folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I got a further 80 quid off my premium by correcting the valuation from 14 to 10. Fully comp - on TPFT the difference will be miniscule obviously.

Advertisement