Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommed me some Pelican

• 04-08-2009 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I've heard bits and bobs of Pelican, and think they're pretty cool. I've seen some good and bad reviews of albums etc. Can anyone recommend a good album, which would be a good starting point?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I own just one of their albums Australasia, I like it alot. Try Earth 2 or Sunn o))) or Isis as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yup, Isis are pretty cool too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

I would recommend their 2nd full length [and the brilliantly titled] 'The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw'...to be honest I like all their work but make sure to see 'em live to get the full appreciation of their work...they have a live DVD out too as well as three albums and at least one EP...

Methinks they toured with Isis this summer in America...who are class and hopefully will be on a Euro-tour this autumn

I would recommend their 2nd full length [and the brilliantly titled] 'The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw'...to be honest I like all their work but make sure to see 'em live to get the full appreciation of their work...they have a live DVD out too as well as three albums and at least one EP...

Methinks they toured with Isis this summer in America...who are class and hopefully will be on a Euro-tour this autumn

ordered the dvd yesterday. I heard good things about "the fire..." too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Pelican EP is good, Australasia is very good, The fire . . . is excellent, i like City of Echoes a heck of a lot. The pelican/these arms are snakes split is worth picking up. You can get it with "After The Ceiling Cracked" DVD which i highly recommend.

The drummer can't keep time . . . just in case something like that bothers you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I wouldn't recommend Pelican full stop. Red Sparowes if you're looking for that kind of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

mp3guy wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend Pelican full stop. Red Sparowes if you're looking for that kind of thing

+1, they supported High on Fire last time they were here. Big mistake. I was kinda in to them before, heard a couple of their tracks and thought they did sound a lot like Isis........cool! But I was wrong. They started a strong set but then got mellow and completely lost the crowd for the latter. It was painful.

But I'm not gauging seeing them live once to their stuff put on cd. Hearing a few more tracks live didn't make me a fan though.

chin_grin wrote: »
    +1, they supported High on Fire last time they were here. Big mistake. I was kinda in to them before, heard a couple of their tracks and thought they did sound a lot like Isis........cool! But I was wrong. They started a strong set but then got mellow and completely lost the crowd for the latter. It was painful.

But I'm not gauging seeing them live once to their stuff put on cd. Hearing a few more tracks live didn't make me a fan though.

Saw them at High on Fire too and would agree with your comments - the drummer is not up to scratch at times, however, I have seen them play in Dublin twice before and I really thought they were good.

I picked up their latest EP 'Ephemeral' and it's a lot heavier than 'City of Echoes'..they even do a cover of the mighty Earth's Geometry Of Murder featuring Dylan Carson himself...

They have also announced details of a new album featuring guest appearances by Greg Anderson of Sunn O))), A. Turner of Isis, Ben Verellen of Harkonen and Helms Alee and Allen Epley from The Life & Times and Shiner. Heard it's due in October...

http://www.hydrahead.com/pelican/

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

mp3guy wrote: »

+2. Couldn't recommend any Pelican releases but Red Sparrows are the dogs proverbials. Gregor Samsa, too, are well worth checking out imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I thought Gregor Samsa was out of commision these days, what with being an insect and all?:D

• Advertisement

I got the dvd the other day, and it's pretty good. Only heard a few of their albums...

Funnily enough, I heard bits and pieces of red sparrows and thoguht "meh". I'll give them another go...

Would also recommend The Red Sparowes...they have played in Dublin a couple of times too...if ya like this kinda stuff - check out also!

Zozobra
    5ive
    House of low Culture
    Old Man Gloom
    Agalloch
    Wolves In The Throne Room
    Keelhaul
    Philomena Begley
    Oceansize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

"The fire in our throats will beckon the thaw" is their best I think. They got a bit derivative afterwards. They're fun live though I must admit.

Some of the listed bands are better in my opinion at the aesthetic of pelican. I'm enjoying Russian Circles quite strongly these days.

Advertisement