Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone stole €1200 out of a separate joint account

Options
  • 04-08-2009 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A fortnight I posted a thread about my brothers girlfriend (not wife) phone being robbed and €1200 used in calls made to Kenya over night.

My brother has just informed me that Vodafone have deducted €1200 from separate joint account between himself and her without authorization.

Worse still after they verbally agreed to go 50/50 on the bill and never even followed up their conversation in writing. This is disgusting carry on by Vodafone. Is this legal?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055625965

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Anyone contacted vodafone? Sounds like a cock up.

It's not illegal for them to take the DD from the account, which is what happened effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Anyone contacted vodafone? Sounds like a cock up.

It's not illegal for them to take the DD from the account, which is what happened effectively.

The deduction was from a separate account if I'm reading the OP correctly.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How would they get a separate account number unless the person had given it to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The deduction was from a separate account if I'm reading the OP correctly.
    Yes a deduction from a totally seperate joint account between her and her BF who had nothing got to do with the incident.
    MarkR wrote: »
    How would they get a separate account number unless the person had given it to them?
    Ways and means, Im sure they have their own detectives chasing up these details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Unless the bank f*cked up in incredible style, can they link different accounts held by the same person like that I always assumed they couldn't but maybe they've started to:eek:

OP when did they agree to go 50/50?

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »

It sounds like a bank error.

Years ago shortly after my dad died AIB charged my mother's (they paid DD from joint account which had not been closed) ESB bill to my account...myself and my dad had the same initial, and same home address, but the accounts were in different branches (so different sort code) and obviously a different account number.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yes a deduction from a totally seperate joint account between her and her BF who had nothing got to do with the incident.

Ways and means, Im sure they have their own detectives chasing up these details.

This cannot possibly be legal as the DD agreement must state the a/c number doies it not?

On to the bank first to find out WTF happened.

Gillo wrote: »
    Unless the bank f*cked up in incredible style, can they link different accounts held by the same person like that I always assumed they couldn't but maybe they've started to:eek:

OP when did they agree to go 50/50?
    Brother going down to the bank now to lift them out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Well read a few other threads here first, there's no point him lifting them out of it as soon as he goes in, if it was a mistake all he has to do is explain the situation and they can reverse it very easily. Chances are it's down to genuine human error which believe it or not does actually happen.

If he goes in shouting and screaming before giving them a chance to fix anything I'd personally hope he doesn't get it back.

It may be a good idea to correct your thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably an error in automation. The DD was cancelled without notifying Vodafone. Therefore Vodafone are going to present the DD at the bank for payment.

Vodafone being a trusted DD presenter, the bank will have error checking systems in place to confirm that the name and the account number match. When the details presented didn't match, the system may have looked at the name and address of the person, found the joint account and applied the DD to that.

Vodafone didn't "steal" anything. The bank received a DD request and honoured it. The bank are the ones who screwed up, so they can fix it. There's no point in "lifting" a drone out of it when chances are no actual physical human being made an error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Tasha90

Go to the papers or go on the radio, on the jerry ryan show or some other show similar.

Tasha90 wrote: »
    Go to the papers or go on the radio, on the jerry ryan show or some other show similar.

:rolleyes:

He could just try and sort it out like an adult, by contacting the bank for an explanation first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If a DD was presented to an account that had insufficient funds, then they bank may have gone to another account held by the same person to get the funds. This may have been in error, or it may be allowed, depending on how your accounts are linked. Either way, the solution is to contact the bank, as Vodafone have not stolen anything. Making an accusation like that without knowing the facts is premature.

You can't possibly be serious with that statement. This would be highly illegal, and basically identity fraud. No company employs people to find customer's bank account details so that they can set up unauthorised direct debits.

jor el wrote: »
    No company employs people to find customer's bank account details so that they can set up unauthorised direct debits.
    They just did it ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They just did it ffs.
    No they didn't. Prove it.

seamus wrote: »
    No they didn't. Prove it.

We will find out soon enough, the bank is looking into the matter.

What annoys me is that I threatened to terminate my billed contract with them when it expires in September after the first incident.

A Vodafone rep phoned me immediately through a private number and assured me that all will be done to sort out this matter and then they do this without even having the courtacy to make an contact with the party involved. They have their address, they could have at least made written contact with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

This is why insurance on your mobile goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

not really

most insurance claims that they will cover from the time that the phone is reported stolen to the network (who will in all likelyhood cancel the number)....so you are usually only insured against incompetence on the networks part in cancelling the number

Irrelivant, I have my phone fully covered

This case is about Vodafone failing to contact a customer and informing them of the theft of e1200 worth of calls after initially informing them that no calls were made on the phone when it was reported it stolen.

• Advertisement

They just did it ffs.

You say they did do it, and that you will soon find out if they did do it. Which is it? You're speculating, as you have no proof, and you don't know what actually happened. The simple truth is that they cannot find out the bank account details of any of their customers, without the customer giving it to them. Anything else would be highly illegal.

Just got a text from my brother, his Girlfriend has to fill out a form with the said bank to get an immediate refund of the €1200. The bank has then got to pursue Vodafone to try and get the cash back from them. Not exactly over yet. Nice try Vodafone. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats to find out?, sure you know they stole the money and had detetctives looking for his account number to do this.

Do you ever actually read your own posts?They'd be funny if you werent so serious.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Whats to find out?, sure you know they stole the money and had detectives looking for his account number to do this.
    Plenty to find out. For starters how did Vodafone got information and the unauthorized access into a separate joint party bank account that had absolutely nothing got to do with the original contract. Did Vodafone request these details from unsuspecting bank staff when the assigned bank account did not have €1200 to deduct from it?.

After watching this programme on Telifis Eireann nothing would surprise me how this company would treat their customers.

Prime Time's "Service with a snarl" documentary on RTE1
    http://www.rte.ie/news/primetimeinvestigates/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Tasha90 wrote: »

Bit drastic and immature if this was only an error would you not think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Misleading thread title, conspiracy theory.. . Reminds me of a boy crying wolf.

All this thread achieves is highlighting a mistake by a bank.

Plenty to find out. For starters how did Vodafone got information and the unauthorized access into a separate joint party bank account that had absolutely nothing got to do with the original contract. Did Vodafone request these details from unsuspecting bank staff when the assigned bank account did not have €1200 to deduct from it?.

You're speculating again, you have no idea what actually happened. This could very easily be a bank error, so why aren't you crucifying them, calling them thieves and scammers? It's more likely that the bank used the other account, either by mistake or deliberately, than Vodafone somehow getting the other account information from somewhere.

Misleading thread title, conspiracy theory.. . Reminds me of a boy crying wolf.

All this thread achieves is highlighting a mistake by a bank.

A big mistake by the bank to follow out instructions from Vodafone to debit e1200 from another account without authorisation after they agreed with the customer that they would go 50/50 on the excessive bill.

BTW do you work for Vodafone Customer care? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

More half truths and lies, have you proof the phone company told the bank to debit the other account?

No i don't work for them or a bank and it's 20 years since I worked in customer service, but don't let that stand in the way of the blame you're dishing out without proof.

Personally, I'd wait for facts before labelling a company or person a thief.

• Advertisement

Personally, I'd wait for facts before labelling a company or person a thief.
    Perhaps you should read the lead up thread to all this. :rolleyes:

Advertisement