Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone stole €1200 out of a separate joint account

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

amcalester wrote: »
    The reason the Bank refunded the money is that under the Direct Debit Indemnity Scheme they are obliged to refund the money in any disputed direct debit pending the outcome of an investigation.

If after their investigation it turns out that Vodefone had the proper authorisation the Bank will come looking for the money from the account holder. The bank will not be interested in any agreement between account holder and Vodafone about paying half of the bill.

As for the money having been taken out of the joint account, Vodafone are a member of the Direct Debit Plus scheme which means that they can set up a paperless direct debit (ie no direct debit mandate is signed by the customer, bank details can be taken over the phone) on any bank account.

I have worked for an Irish bank in the Direct Debit department and it couldn't happen that we would apply a direct debit to any other account apart from the account number in the file sent by Vodafones bank. (We had a very new system in place so maybe others banks had a different set up)

Are you sure that Vodafone were not given the bank details by accident? You'd be surprised how many times people gave joint account numbers instead of single account number (and vice versa) to companies.

And 1 other thing, have them go back through the joint account to see if Vodafone have ever taken a direct debit from that account before, could be they've always taken the money from it but never noticed till now.

Thank god you posted that, I was trying to word it in my head when I cam to your post. I too work for an irish bank and have never seem a direct debit being taken from another linked account. Banks just 'facilitate' direct debit, they can set them up, apply them or cancel them, it pretty much all automated. It woudl be one hell of a job to monitor all direct debits and start choosing what account to take them from.
    The bank refunded the money because of the direct debit idemnity scheme not because its admitting any libality on its part. you will find that vodafone presented the direct debit on the joint account in question not the bank. Where they got the account number from is anyones guess, but im guessing that vodafone used what we call 'origplus direct debit', ie, paperless, as mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Halfdog wrote: »
    Phone gets robbed, she gets spooked, leaves Vodafone, joins meteor her BF, kids follow because they offer free meteor to meteor. At the end of the day they will be the real losers.
    That is exactly what is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rhymenocerous

That is exactly what is happening.

And then if it happens with Meteor, they'll do the exact same. As you're contractually obliged to pay all call charges on your bill every month. That's the contract you sign. If you don't like it, then don't sign up to it.

And then if it happens with Meteor, they'll do the exact same. As you're contractually obliged to pay all call charges on your bill every month. That's the contract you sign. If you don't like it, then don't sign up to it.
    There is always the pay as you go option.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Im no fan of Vodafone (quite the opposite in fact) but it's fairly decent of them to split the bill, even if they mistakenly took the whole amount.

The real issue i think is who the fcuk does the bank think they are, dipping into another account like that? ffs its upto the customer to sort out their direct debits with the company; god knows the banks charge enough if the DD bounces, so why they messed around with it is beyond me. Id have no hesitation in shutting up shop and changing banks if that ever happened to me, mistake or no mistake.

If the person in question wanted a direct debit from the other account, they would have set it up on the other account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

From my reading of this thread, there are 2 Seperate Issues here.

1) Vodafone.
    Yes, it does seem like fairly bad customer service. But far from the worst I ever heard. Only thing I would say is, you won't get it any better from Meteor. We (small company - 4 phones) left them last year over an almost identical issue. Vodafone were never going to write off the whole 1,200 for you. For us Meteor refused to write off about 500 in a similar situation. To be honest, I thought they possibly wouldn't but that the threat of moving 4 phones would push them. But no, they held their ground. We settled at about 250. They have lost at least that per month off us since because we moved, but that's their own business.

2) The Bank
    The second issue here is the bank. It is a day or two since I read the full thread... but Am I right in saying...

You (or your friend or something, basically the customer) signed up for direct debit on Account A
    That worked away grand for a while
    When this 1200 ammount hit the bank, for some reason, instead of taking the money from account A, they took it from a sererate account in the same bank that the customer held jointly with their partner. This account was never mentioned on any direct debit agreement.

If my summary above is correct, then the main problem you have is with the bank. You should be tearing the door down of the place demanding and explanation for what happened. There is no earthly way that, if a direct debit failed, Vodafone would get onto the bank and ask them to take the money from a different account.

This is completely the banks doing. You should get a written explaination from the bank of exactly what happened.

A very similar thing happened to my mother a few years ago. She always had just 1 joint account with my dad in the bank through which they done all their dealings. A few years ago, my Ma decided to open a seperate account for herself (in the same branch of the same bank) so she could save a few small bits away for her own bits and pieces. Not a bother.

They had a farm loan (with the same bank) which was bing paid off by DD. One month the creamery cheque (money from the creamery for milk collected), which came monthly, was a week late coming and when the direct debit for the loan hit the joint account, the money wasn't there. No bother sez the branch manager, and without so much as a word to either of my parents, he just took the money out of my mothers savings account.

The first she heard of it was when she went into a shop to buy something she had been saving up for a weeks later and her Laser card was declined because of insuffient funds.

Well, all I can say is God help the poor manager. She went into the bank to find out where her money was gone and he told her....... the poor lad..... She lifted him out of it. I met her a few days later and she was still fuming. God knows what she was like when he told her. Having been on the recieving end of her wrath many's a time growing up, I almost had to feel sorry for the guy. She moved her savings to the Credit Union and the farm accounts to another bank and does buggerall in that bank now.

Anyway, back to the OP, from my reading of it, your anger, although justified, is mis-directed. As much and all as you might dislike Vodafone, the bank are the major villians here.

http://www.ipso.ie/index.php?Itemid=172&id=35&option=com_content&task=view

Dear God, will one of ye read how direct debits work!

A payment to a bank loan is completley different than a direct debit to a company BnA, (and personally I think its a standing order your thinking of not a direct debit). They are two completly different things. Also curious how your mother had a laser card on her savings account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gogo wrote: »
    A payment to a bank loan is completley different than a direct debit to a company BnA, (and personally I think its a standing order your thinking of not a direct debit).

No, those can be direct debits too, and the banks seem to prefer that these days.
    Also curious how your mother had a laser card on her savings account?

That wouldn't be possible. A Laser card is only available on a current account, not savings.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

parsi wrote: »
    What did the Guards say when they were informed that Vodafone stole €1200 ?

We still haven't heard what happened when the so-called theft was reported...

Dear God, will one of ye read how direct debits work!

A payment to a bank loan is completley different than a direct debit to a company BnA, (and personally I think its a standing order your thinking of not a direct debit). They are two completly different things. Also curious how your mother had a laser card on her savings account?

Kerrist on a bike ye are a whingey crowd.

RE Direct Debits and Standing Orders..... What difference does it make to the argument which it was. A Standing Order or Direct Debit that is set up one account should not be paid out of a different account.

RE the laser Card: Again, not that it makes any difference to you but it wasn't a "Savings" account as a bank would know it. The account was a current account that my mother opened for saving a bit of money for herself.

• Advertisement

It makes a big difference, they are two completly different things. direct debit are automated payments, there is not one person sitting there deciding which account they should debit a payment from.
    But if you miss a standing order you can call to the bank and change it(account no/ammount/date) re present it any time you want, ie the bank have a means to change the details for you (or for themselves).
    The company/originator is the only one who can change the details of a direct debit.
    Thats why big companies use direct debits because they have the control over them, but a repayment to a loan is totally different thing to the op's problem and just sounds like bank bashing on your behalf.
    Again

jor el wrote: »
    No, those can be direct debits too, and the banks seem to prefer that these days.

Yea I know, I was getting at the fact that repaying a bank loan, and paying a company are two different things, ie, his parents missed a repayment to a loan and the bank decided to look for it elsewhere, fair enough, the bank dosent really care if you miss a phone bill, there not really going to look for another account to pay it from. i just dont understand the revelance of BnA point about bank loans.

Yea I know, I was getting at the fact that repaying a bank loan, and paying a company are two different things, ie, his parents missed a repayment to a loan and the bank decided to look for it elsewhere, fair enough, the bank dosent really care if you miss a phone bill, there not really going to look for another account to pay it from. i just dont understand the revelance of BnA point about bank loans.
    When a direct debit is set up to pay a bill from Account A, should the bank, without contacting the customer, accidently or on purpose, take money from any account other than Account A to pay the direct debit.

No

When a standing order is set up to pay a loan from Account A, should the bank, without contacting the customer, accidently or on purpose, take money from any account other than Account A to pay the direct debit.

No

That is the similarity between direct debits and standing orders that is relevant to the OPs issue.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

So OP - any update on the Guard's investigation of this theft ?

parsi wrote: »
    So OP - any update on the Guard's investigation of this theft ?

The cash was refunded but there is still a dispute over the e1200.

Advertisement