Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone service from UPC

• 04-08-2009 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else switched from eircom to upc. @15/pm with free land line calls it seems strangely good value? Is there a catch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Been with their phone service for a year now. Find it pretty good, has a few minor issues but other than that it's usable and far far cheaper than eircom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I just checked the tariffs. I have family in the Faroe Islands. UPC want 35cent/min for that call. Esat only want 12cent/min.

The Esat rental is €25/month. Thats a difference of €10/month. Id end up eating into that €10 difference pretty quickly I think.

I could go down the UPC route and plug a skype phone onto the internet I have with them..... :(

Just checked Skype prices. Its 17cent/min to call the Faroes, plus the one off fee of buying the skype phone. Thats only a 5cent/min difference to Esat, which has an extra €10/month line rental. Have to do my sums and see how many skype minutes would I need to use before it would be cheaper to use ESAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Blueface charge 19c/min to call the Faroe Islands. Not as cheap as BT Ireland but cheaper than UPCs offering. Also, with Blueface you don't need to have your PC on to use the phone, like you do with Skype.

Also, BT's rates may be subject to change. They've recently offloaded their consumer and small business customers to Vodafone.

Thanks for the headsup with ESAT.

Ive done my sums
    Eircom and UPC are way more expensive, regardless of usage
    BlueFace and skype are neck-and-neck and are cheaper than ESAT up to roughly 360mins of talktime. After that Esat become cheaper. Looks like I'm going to Esat until they change their price plan. I cant understand how they can charge so much less than skype or blueface though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement