Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decommisioning a shotgun

Options
  • 04-08-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I have an old Fred Williams side by side hammer shotgun in poor condition and I'm just wondering how to go about decommisioning it as in the condition its in its not worth the licence fee, any ideas ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I have an old Fred Williams side by side hammer shotgun in poor condition and I'm just wondering how to go about decommisioning it as in the condition its in its not worth the licence fee, any ideas ??

just take it to a dealer and get him to scrap it for you
    you will have to fill out the new form available on www.garda.ie
    thats it unless you want to replace it for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Fill the barrel with cement. At least that's how the IRA did it if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

daveob007 wrote: »
    just take it to a dealer and get him to scrap it for you
    you will have to fill out the new form available on www.garda.ie
    thats it unless you want to replace it for something else.

Don't want to scrap it as its been in the family from new, just want to decommision it and keep it as an ornament.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Don't want to scrap it as its been in the family from new, just want to decommision it and keep it as an ornament.
    a dealer should be able to do that ok.
    you might need a collecters licence for it after that. not sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Make sure the dealer knows how to DEACT properly.Not that you end up with a heap of scrap.
    Cleanest deact is is done by;under the foregrip.,Drill six 8to10 mm holes in each barrel.Just before the chambers get another hole drilled and a 8mm pin welded into position there.Or two solid steel discs can be welded into the chamber mouths.Remove the firing pins and get the holes welded shut.Done right that is a clean deact.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Make sure the dealer knows how to DEACT properly.Not that you end up with a heap of scrap.
    Cleanest deact is is done by;under the foregrip.,Drill six 8to10 mm holes in each barrel.Just before the chambers get another hole drilled and a 8mm pin welded into position there.Or two solid steel discs can be welded into the chamber mouths.Remove the firing pins and get the holes welded shut.Done right that is a clean deact.

Can I do this myself and get it inspected/certified ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Dont honestly know on that...It is again a grey and vauge area as to who must carry out deacting here in Ireland.
    You could pop into the Gardai and ask them what they would consider as a suitable deactivation.Suggest what I mentioned,as that is pretty much an accepted EU standard for shotguns[It varies for different types of guns],and then ask if you can do this and they inspect it,and sign off on it?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They might ask you to submit it to the ballistics unit who will then take the rest of eternity to conduct what should be a 10 minute inspection. :rolleyes:

Advertisement