Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Drivers Test!

• 04-08-2009 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

It's probably been aired before but if our cars have to be tested every two years to prove their road worthiness, is it not fair to assume that the most important part of it should also be tested ... the driver?

Having read a couple of threads this morning on bank holiday driving antics, in addition to the usual habits that piss me off, such as lack of indication on roundabouts etc ... is it not time we actually regulated this too?

I mean how many truely unroadworthy cars are there VS dangerous / incompetent drivers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Fergieman

Ha, Thats all we need! More Tests, more costs, more time out of our lives more stress. Once is enough thanks. A human is not like a car. A humans antics can change in an instant resulting in dangerous driving incident whereas a cars mechanics gradually wear out over time.
    Yes I agree its the nut behind the wheel is the problem 99% of the time but hauling us all in every year for a retest is not the answer. I would rather let the tax man use my hard earned to catch more drunk drivers and dish out more stringent penalties to reckless drivers.
    I was actually very impressed at the amount of guards monitoring our roads this weekend. It made me watch my speed anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Oooh yeah ...let's all reverse round a corner every five years or so...that'll improve things no end :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Don't forget the infamous amnesty!

We've a lot of drivers on full licenses who would never, ever pass a test imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

test waiting times are long enough as it is. Can you imagine what it'd be like adding that many more tests! And plus the test doesn't even cover motorway driving, which, lets face it, us Irish are rubbish at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Might be better forcing drivers who earn say 6 penalty points to resit their test, rather than a blanket retesting of every driver.

Next you'll be asking people to resit their leaving cert :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

At the very least everyone should be made pass that theory test given for provisional drivers when they re-apply for their full license. I recently applied to renew my full, and in the 11 years since I did my test some of the rules of the road have changed slightly, as I found out myself when I browsed the new rules of the road book that apparently everyone got. I wonder how many other people looked through it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

A 30 second advert on tv telling people that the outside lane on a motorway is for overtaking only would be a better use of funds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

Might be better forcing drivers who earn say 6 penalty points to resit their test, rather than a blanket retesting of every driver.

Next you'll be asking people to resit their leaving cert :eek:

Well .... they say education is wasted on the youth ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Its perfectly reasonable to expect us to re-sit the driving test every 10 years at the point of lisence renewal.

And besides from what I read everyone here is a perfect driver so the pass rate would be 100%, what have we to worry about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Fergieman

Touché Sir!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

1. Sort out a proper driving test.
    2. Make everyone sit it at licence renewal, i.e. every 10 yrs.
    3. Watch driving standards improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Instead of retesting ever x years, why not just teach people properly in the first place? Answer: Because the attrition rate on the road is not high enough to warrant the cost of change in legislation.
    A 30 second advert on tv telling people that the outside lane on a motorway is for overtaking only would be a better use of funds

Good idea. I'd suggest making it a radio ad as well.

Advertisement