Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and telephone questions- Galway area

Options
  • 04-08-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be in Region- Galway or Broadband.

I'm living in Lacakgh, just past Claregalway. Currently we have broadband and line rental through Perlico.
    We're signed up to Freedom Talk and Freedom 1MB Broadband (€46 per month) and then NTL tv on top of that.
    I know NTL do a deal for tv, phone and broadband but we can't get that in our area.

2 questions:
    1. Anyone know of any cheaper broadband providers in my area?
    2. My wife likes to have a landline for long durations calls to home, friends etc. Is there any way that we can get rid of the landline but have a good substitute? Her contacts aren't on Skype so that wouldn't do. (I'm wondering if we can make calls to landlines etc. over the broadband somehow or if there's a product that can do that?)

Cheers,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

www.blueface.ie
    Make calls over any broadband connection. Needs a decent ping, but any proper wireless should have that, such as Metro or Breeze. Not 3G!

If you can't get a good wireless broadband service, and cable is out, then you're going to have to keep the phone line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Digiweb metro, IBB Breeze and Airwire work in parts of Lackagh because Lackagh is very high in parts .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cheers for the info.
    Perlico is with DSL so I just have to look for a new broadband provider and one that services my area.
    Then just do a quick calculation (monthly cost, Blueface costs, handset etc.) but I presume it'll work out a fair bit cheaper.

Advertisement