Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops in lectures

Options
  • 04-08-2009 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi there,

Posted this in the mature students section too, but interested in "normal" student's take ...

Do people take laptops to lectures these days to take notes, or does everyone still write notes? I type faster than I write these days, but don't want to look like an arse!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A few people would have laptops alright. All depends on which is easier for yourself, dont worry what others think. In my classes, the majority "write" stuff down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

It depends on the course.
    From a computer science point of view, no. Anyone typing furiously in a lecture would be assumed to be on gtalk or something.
    It's not really a note taking kind of course though anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I had one lecturer last year who told everyone to close their laptops at the start of the lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Some people use them for notes, but the vast majority are usually doing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Hi there

I'm a mature student in UCD too, just finished my first year and going into second year. In my course last year, arts, there were often a significant amount of laptops in use, sometimes maybe 30% of the class?

We did have one lecturer who patrolled about the class a bit to make sure that people were not playing Championship Manager or the like, but he had no problem with those actually using them to take notes.

So if it works better for you, do it. Remember (and this goes for lots of other things) you can try it out, try handwritten notes, try the laptop, and see which works best for you. College is great, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you join the Mature Students society, say hello to me, I'm the treasurer of the society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Once again it depends on the course. From my time lecture addressing, I notice that the Quinn people use laptops the most, seeing as thay have to buy them in all. Arts would be high up there.

In my course, science, I see a few laptops but most people stick with pen and paper.

Personally, I like the feel of pen and paper, I can use up as much paper as needs be, draw diagrams and writing out chemical reactions.

Having said that, I think a lot of people use their laptops for more entertaining purposes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Like A Fox

I'm in Medicine and while most lecturers don't mind it, some will tell you to shut it down, especially if it's a big laptop. You shouldn't have any trouble with a notebook though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm in Engineering, and found that in most cases your notes are to supplement handouts or printed notes, and you were not just writing words but formulae and weird symbols too. That meant that the notebook wasn't really an option. Another reason is that the info sometimes comes at you thick and fast, no time to do anything more than get it down, if that.

I had this idea that I would be able to produce complete, structured notes, but that soon went out the window. Now, I'm happy if I can just read what I wrote, 12 weeks later. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Just said I'd post quickly on this

Spent 4 years in B&L so had to buy a laptop and pretty much everyone brought them to all lectures. It really does depend on what course and modules you're in. There are obviously pros and cons with regard to bringing them. Mainly that it's faster and easier to store your notes but the biggest problem is that when exam time comes around, your writing speed is terrible and that is one of biggest assets you can have for exams

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I used to write notes down but as has been said it is a pain when you go back to them as you can struggle to read what you wrote initially.

If you're doing Arts, have a laptop and feel comfortable bringing it with you then I'd recommend typing notes out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cherrypipp

Thanks for all your replies!

I'll be doing nursing, not arts though. Think I'll take a pen and paper along and just write-at least then I won't wreck peoples' heads tapping at a keyboard!

Advertisement