Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADI Deadline

• 04-08-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭

Since last Saturday it is a criminal offence for anyone to give lessons for reward unless they are a fully qualified ADI.(Although it's possible the RSA have moved the goalposts again without telling anyone). Yet the RSA have made no announcements that I'm aware of, and I haven't heard any mention on TV or radio of this fact.

They are forever banging on about the importance of road safety, however when it comes to one of the most important aspects of driving, ie learning the fundamentals, they are strangely quiet.

Most regular contributers to this forum will be well aware of what the ADI scheme is about, however most people that I've met have never heard of it.

I spoke to a number of instructors recently, and we all have noticed that not once has anyone ever asked if we were ADI's when booking a lesson.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

I agree with everything you're saying Brian, since all this took effect we only had one person who made an enquiry asking if the instructors were ADI's! The RSA and their regulations (use that term loosely) beggar belief.
    I remember watching Ireland AM a few wks back and theres one of the presenters getting driving lessons from ISM, they had the camera all over the car and nowhere was there an ADI sticker. Its a joke, extremely frustrating for those instructors who took the time (and money) to sit these exams. But yet if you ring the RSA and ask how are they planning to implement these changes you get the same robotic drone of a reply:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

brian076 wrote: »
    Since last Saturday it is a criminal offence for anyone to give lessons for reward unless they are a fully qualified ADI.(Although it's possible the RSA have moved the goalposts again without telling anyone). Yet the RSA have made no announcements that I'm aware of, and I haven't heard any mention on TV or radio of this fact.

They are forever banging on about the importance of road safety, however when it comes to one of the most important aspects of driving, ie learning the fundamentals, they are strangely quiet.

Most regular contributers to this forum will be well aware of what the ADI scheme is about, however most people that I've met have never heard of it.

I spoke to a number of instructors recently, and we all have noticed that not once has anyone ever asked if we were ADI's when booking a lesson.

Don't be surprised if it's all hot air Brian from the authorities ;) I am in the passenger ferry business and back a few years ago we had the same, we were told we were all going to jail and or our vessels would be impounded at our cost if we didn't comply with new vessel regulations, then it was new crew training regulations they dreamed up some of which are absolute nonsense :rolleyes: We were told that the gardai would now also be spot inspecting our documentation, not one vessel has been checked in the 8 years of these new regs :mad:

They were going to spend a fortune on TV and other media campaigns to alert the public to use only those of us who have complied, it was all talk they have done absolutely nothing and there are still many unlicensed vessels operating nationwide and there are many licensed vessels whose crew have little or no training not to mention the required level :eek:

The Dept of Marine then and now the Dept of Transport list the lisenced ferries on their websites for the public to check but with every update they omit probably up to 40% of them :rolleyes::confused:

I have a feeling the ADI scheme of things is similar in that it was all just a scare tactic to make all you instructors comply with there plan :)

Human nature being what is is the non ADIs and the unlisenced ferries of this world will allways have their share of customers as their costs will be lower therefore they will undercut the legitimate operators!

Do ADI have an independant association you can all join to have one voice if not may-be it's time you all banged heads together and formed one! This could be to your advantage going as one unified body for insurance quotes also ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

Unfortunately we live in one of those countries whereby theres alot of hot air blown by the authorities and the ADI's, as far as I know, have no body they can join officially,plenty of online forums etc but thats it. Myself and my husband have maintained all along that this could come to nothing, and I have a sneaky feeling Sunjammer that you're spot on. My husband, who is an ADI car and HGV instructor was up in one of the test centres a few wks back and spoke to a chap who is a truck instructor in one of the big schools who told my husband he has no plans to sit any exam because nobody will check, and as annoying as that it is, the guy is probably right. I think its disgusting that the RSA are not properly implementing this, and I for one will probably throw something at the tele or radio when Gaybo comes on about road safety-if you're going to let non qualified instructors teach kids how to drive, well what do you expect?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

It is meant to be the gardai, and they are meant to check the instructors.
    I think if you are qualified and you see someone teaching who is not, well then report them.
    I told all of the instructors I know that I will report them if they continue to teach after the deadline.
    If we were responsible enough to do the exams, so should they!:mad:

and the public should only take lessons with the qualified instructors, because it should only be qualified instructors out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RSA ADI MARK

hi drivinginfo if i see non adis i will report them,i did not do my exams and register for nothing.ive been told the gardas will be checking instructors and asking to see their badge

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

The problem with reporting non ADIs is how do you know they are doing it for reward?? That's what you will be asked and then the non ADI will just tell the guards he was giving a free lesson to a friend or relation etc... It's the same story with the ferries.. I think you guys should start up a national assocation like "The Irish Passenger Boat assoc" or "The Irish Charter skippers assoc" or the Uk's "Professional Boatmans Assoc" then you will have a combined voice to make noise you can also then use the assocations website to advertise each and eveyone of you that's an ADI, and it's a great way to get some media attention;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Sunjammer wrote: »
    The problem with reporting non ADIs is how do you know they are doing it for reward?? That's what you will be asked and then the non ADI will just tell the guards he was giving a free lesson to a friend or relation etc... It's the same story with the ferries.. I think you guys should start up a national assocation like "The Irish Passenger Boat assoc" or "The Irish Charter skippers assoc" or the Uk's "Professional Boatmans Assoc" then you will have a combined voice to make noise you can also then use the assocations website to advertise each and eveyone of you that's an ADI, and it's a great way to get some media attention;)

It is more about letting the instructor know that people will report them if they are teaching, and if they are reported 6 time a day at different times questions will be asked.

Also good point about the advertising/media attention. On my site I will strictly only advertise ADI full permit holders (NOT even trainees). But I have been told of advertisers who will advertise driving instructors regardless of ADI Qualification. I think you should not be allowed to advertise driving instructors without proof of qualifications and if you do you should be fined.

I advertise driving instructors and would agree with that. May I point out I have lost money by only advertising qualified instructors. Am I an idiot! Sometimes I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

FYI : For the ADI instructors out there

There is a relatively new organsiation setup in Ireland called the National Association of Approved Driving Instructors N.A.A.D.I (www.naadi.ie)

I'm not recommending it as such and I dont have anything to do with the running of it although I did sign up as a member a few weeks ago. Its all very quiet on their site to be honest and I'm not sure if it will fizzle out or maybe take off, its early days. Anyway, up to each individual to decide if they want to join or not, its just one of a few driving instructors 'groups' out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Good points by everyone, I think ideally what all instructors want is the introduction of compulsory lessons. These could only be done by ADI's and this would weed out the cowboys. It may not be too popular with some learners who feel that they don't need x amount of lessons, but it would ensure that everyone starts with the same basic training.

I think whats laughable is that RSA testers will still continue to conduct tests in driving school cars belonging to non-adi's, which is more or less aiding and abetting breaking the law, and while the official line from the RSA is that they will conduct a test in any vehicle that's roadworthy and meets all legal requirements and as such can't refuse to use a non-adi's car, it would be very easy for them to insert a clause in the "driving test requirements" that if a candidate is using a driving school car, it must belong to a qualified ADI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RSA ADI MARK

hi brian076 ,on the other website they is a mention about mandatory lessonsfrom the transport minister

Advertisement