Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap as chips computer

• 04-08-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so my parent's computer has up and gone to computer heaven (or wherever computers go when they die) so they are now in the market for a new one...

They don't use it a whole lot, mainly for interwebs and documents and such, nothing major...

They still have a perfectly working monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. so all the need is the tower itself... The one thing is my dad wants it to come with the upgrade to windows 7 thingy that some companies are offering...

I've done some quick searches, is Dell the cheapest still? Looking at their site, it would seem that the computers in their small business section are cheapest..
    Any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

I've done some quick searches, is Dell the cheapest still? Looking at their site, it would seem that the computers in their small business section are cheapest..
    Any other recommendations?

Don't the prices in the SME section exclude VAT + Shipping? :confused: You might need to add 21.5% to prices shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

True, but even adding the VAT it still looks cheap... Are the other manufacturers any good for cheap PCs ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

dulpit wrote: »
    True, but even adding the VAT it still looks cheap... Are the other manufacturers any good for cheap PCs ??

The only other place in Ireland to get desktops that i know of would be through Retail stores like Harvey Norman, PC World etc, (and the occasional one from Aldi/Lidl). I haven't checked lately but their prices generally are from about €400 upwards. You could check these stores if you are near any, you'll probably have to ask for the price for just the tower alone as most prices displayed include the monitor as a package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Second hand? I'd ask your father if he really needs windows 7. if he didn't it'd save a lot of money. If you're up to the job you could just build the computer yourself. A lot of it's cheaper that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Win7 will only set you back ~100. Might as well. Family Pack is even better value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

wolfric wrote: »
    Second hand? I'd ask your father if he really needs windows 7. if he didn't it'd save a lot of money. If you're up to the job you could just build the computer yourself. A lot of it's cheaper that way

You'd be hard pressed to beat a cheapo dell for basic home use by building yourself TBH. You just cannot beat them on a 300ish budget. There was a super cheapo build thread recently in build + upgrading form with not much success :). To quote Mrs Doyle I know some people like the misery (I do) but the savings are minimal in fact it may even be slightly dearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

What about a net top if it's only for basic usage, like http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=184005 for €305; I'm sure you can get them cheaper, I saw a Linux version for under 200 last month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wayne__s_World_Schwing_by_baker3video.png

well not really.

Linux?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Effluo wrote: »

Hmm... An AM3 processor with DDR2 memory? Someones telling porkies methinks :).

Still Reasonable price all the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement