Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed Dog?

Options
  • 04-08-2009 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi, we have a little terrier at home. She is about 8 or 9. She was knocked down about 3 years ago and broke her back hips. Operation would have cost 1,500. we were advised to keep her in small box so she couldn't move and put nappies on her! It was touch and go but after 3 months in the box and constant care she started to come round to her old self. Alot of physical rehab was next and after alot of encouragement and masaging her back muscles she started to walk again. She now walks perfect, albiet a bit of a funny walk! and she cant climb steps anymore, but she made it!

She now lives in the house all the time and to be honest has become more human than dog. Her mother died at Christmas of old age and she has had no contact with other animals since, apart from a few horses but they don't entertain her much! She used to be very shy before her accident but now she relies on us all the time and waits at the front door for each of us to arrive home.
    She had to go to the vet recently to get her nails clipped. My sister took her. She said that she didnt move from her side and was very nervous of the other dogs.
    Since she has returned she seems very down. She is sleeping alot and is not her usuall welcoming self. She is eating as normal and functioning perfectly otherwise and looks fine. The only way I can describe her behaviour is depressed!
    My sisters theory is that when she saw the other dogs at the vet she got lonesome! :D.
    Is it possible for dogs to get down like this? or is it possible she might have picked up something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

I think I heard that dogs can get depressed before alright...

Have you considered getting a puppy to keep her company now that your other dog has passed on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Fergieman

We were thinking of getting a second dog allright. But are unsure how she will react to another dog around the place. She is a funny little dog because she doesn't mind adults around the place including strangers but hates small kids and prefers to hide when kids are around. We had to look after a kitten for a while and she was scared of that too:P the kitten knew this and used to taunt her the whole time and proceeded to take over her basket to add insult to injury. It was actually V.funny to watch. But seriously, our concern is that if we get another dog she will feel rejected and this could really get her down. Can dogs become suicidal! :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Rogan

Ah - the poor little thing!

Why don't you see if you can offer to mind a dog - a quiet enough dog would be best - say you got it for the weekend or a little longer and see how they get on.

She is obviously used to the company of another dog - so it could well be that.

I suppose thats not a bad idea although I don't know of anybody who would let us take their dog for a week. We will have to see how she gets on although she was never the most sociable dog when in Pooch company! She has us puzzled. Maybe she is just getting old.. Hopefully she will pick up, maybe its the bad weather. perhaps we will get one of those sun machines for her!:D
    I know you say she is used to the company of another dog but she has been alone for a long time now since her mother died and has been behaving perfectly until the visit to the vet. We need a dog phsycologist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Roo08

I would suggest the key is another animal to keep your dog company - perhaps an older dog (local animal sanctuary should have plenty) I say older as they will have a bit more sense, not be as active and will hopefully not threaten/torment to the existing dog. Essentially dogs are pack animals and at the moment the humans of the house are fulfilling the role. Having a canine pal that is there all the time may make the feel more secure and therefore happier. We used to have two dogs and when one died the remaining one became very low – and was very nervous around other dogs as clearly he did not have the back up he was used to. We got a new dog to keep him company (not a puppy) and it worked out great. He perked up and I am convinced it gave him a new lease of life! I think also if you were borrowing a dog you would want to give it two weeks before things would settle into a routine ( a local sanctuary again would be possibly open to a trial period?)

Other point (purely a guess) maybe the visit to the vet was associated with the accident? Smells etc???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

fair play to you , i'm glad your dog recovered from its accident , can i ask what you do for the dog on an every day basis ? playing , socailising , working .
    It could be your dog is bored , teaching it some new tricks , bringing it to where other dogs are (leaving her watch from a safe difference) or as written above a new pup .
    Hope it all works out for you

RooO8,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes we have been considering getting another dog from a sanctury as you suggest. We have done this before with a german shepard that we got to keep my grandmother company/protection and that dog is fantastic. She had been abused by a previous owner and was very shy but has responded fantasticly to proper care and kindness so in my opinion there is a lot to be said for some of the animals you can get from the sanctury. It just takes time for the right dog that you are looking for to come along at the sanctury's.
    Other point (purely a guess) maybe the visit to the vet was associated with the accident? Smells etc???
    I think you are right about this point. Anytime she has to go to the Vet, or travel in the car, she gets the shakes! she left a pile of hair after her at the vets which had simply fallen out with worry! Its amazing what an animal will remember.
    Shammy,
    Thanks for your comments. When she was hit by the car, we either had to put her down or give her a chance. She couldn't make the choice herself! The Vet is always amazed how she made it. She gave her no chance. But she's a good little dog and has become one of the family! To answer your question about what the dog does on an everyday basis, well there is always someone in the house and she gets lots of attention. She does her own thing during the day i.e. she has lots of space to potter around and a field to explore but as for long walks and trips to the park, we tend not to as her hips are not the best after her accident and she gets sore after too much walking plus there are greyhounds kept close by and they have been known to kill small dogs locally so we don't want to subject her to that, to be honest she would probably die at the sight of them:D.
    We notice she has improved a little today. Perhaps as RooO8 said, it may have been her trip to the vet and she is just taking longer than normal to get back to herself.

Advertisement