Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any pharmacies open in Dublin city centre today?

Options
  • 04-08-2009 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

That are still doing prescriptions? Went to my normal one today and its closed. Mods please allow this to stay here as more people will see it and might know, I'm in absolute agony at the minute. If any knows of any please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

You might have better luck in the Dublin forums. Strange they'd be closed, hope you get what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Don't know how accurate this is but might be of some help...

http://www.hse.ie/eng/newsmedia/pharmalist1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

thanks, I'll try some of those on that list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Make sure to ring before you go to the pharmacy in question. That HSE list is hoplessly inaccurate.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

The HSE list is balls, there's7 listed in my area and 5 of them are definitely closed today, still waiting on confirmation the other 2 are closed too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

My mate Jonser down in Dolphin's Barn is open for business today.

He has what you need!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why would they be closed today?

They're only closed to medical card holders and those wishing to avail of the drug refund scheme...in many cases that may make up the majority of their day to day footfall so in some cases they may be physically closed too.

Apologies on the list, I didn't write it, but the OP asked for help and that's the only resource I know of...if the pharmacists are so concerned about their ex-customers, you'd think they'd have the decency to publish an accurate list instead of letting the HSE post it's usual PR heavy stuff with impunity...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

has something changed? has a new law come in or something?

No new law as such...a new directive from Harney/HSE to cut the payments made to pharmacists who operate the medical card and drug purchase refund scheme, by around 30%...pharmacists have said that it makes their businesses unviable and have had to opt out of the payments scheme.
    All this is supposed to save the taxpayer money, which is great...but all this leaves people like the OP in a bad place where they may not be able to access the medication they need due to a dispute which has nothing to do with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

I managed to get a script filled in my local Unicare chemist. If one of this chain is open, I'd imagine they all are. Maybe try them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ginny wrote: »
    The HSE is balls

fyp:(

ejmaztec wrote: »
    fyp:(

what you mean by fyp?

Acronym Definition
    FYP Final Year Project
    FYP Five-Year Plan
    FYP First Year Program (College of the Holy Cross)
    FYP For Your Pleasure
    FYP Fixed Your Post (newsgroups)
    FYP Foundation Year Programme (Canada)
    FYP First Year Premium (life insurance)
    FYP Foundation Year Program (University of Kings College)
    FYP First Year Players (Syracuse Univeristy musical theatre group)
    FYP Five Year Program
    FYP For Your Perusal
    FYP Freight Yard Pub (North Adams, MA)
    FYP Festival of Young Performers
    FYP Full Year Projection

Seems to be a lot of branches of Boots on that HSE list as well...might be worth ringing a few of the bigger city centre branches.

BTW just some delicious irony on this:
    link wrote:
    “It now seems that the dispensary in Donegal town is unable to cope and prescriptions and patients are being sent in taxis to Boots in Letterkenny which is a round-trip of 60 miles. All of this raises concerns about patient safety issues.”
    Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/pharmacists-warn-of-looming-chaos-420958.html#ixzz0NDVj8kdE

Patient safety issues? lol
    How about the patently obvious fact that the HSE in trying to cut spending on dispensing fees, is now bankrolling rural taxi firms to do drug runs?
    The mind f*cking boggles...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

what you mean by fyp?

Acronym Definition
    FYP Final Year Project
    FYP Five-Year Plan
    FYP First Year Program (College of the Holy Cross)
    FYP For Your Pleasure
    FYP Fixed Your Post (newsgroups)
    FYP Foundation Year Programme (Canada)
    FYP First Year Premium (life insurance)
    FYP Foundation Year Program (University of Kings College)
    FYP First Year Players (Syracuse Univeristy musical theatre group)
    FYP Five Year Program
    FYP For Your Perusal
    FYP Freight Yard Pub (North Adams, MA)
    FYP Festival of Young Performers
    FYP Full Year Projection

Whatever you feel is appropriate Mr Chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Seems the ones closed around us are all McCabes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Wertz wrote: »
    .if the pharmacists are so concerned about their ex-customers, you'd think they'd have the decency to publish an accurate list instead of letting the HSE post it's usual PR heavy stuff with impunity...

They did, it's been on the IPU site for the past month.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Whatever you feel is appropriate Mr Chip.

Oh I like that,

you are a real artist, once you compose something you wish it to be free in the public domain and only interpretable by the reader.

go you.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608548

Whole discussion about it here guys.

They did, it's been on the IPU site for the past month.

Got a link or something then?
    It certainly doesn't pop up with keyword searches on google...I've been on the IPU site for about 2 minutes and still can't find it.
    I'm no apologist for the HSE, but their list is accessible to the public which is more than I can say for the pharmacists' union site.
    Bottom line is that this is affecting a lot of poor and elderly people out there who may not even have web access or the knowledge to find what they need to know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Wertz wrote: »
    Apologies on the list, I didn't write it, but the OP asked for help and that's the only resource I know of...if the pharmacists are so concerned about their ex-customers, you'd think they'd have the decency to publish an accurate list instead of letting the HSE post it's usual PR heavy stuff with impunity...
    The pharmacists did compile an accurate list and had it on the IPU website. The HSE made them take it down (threats under competition act as far as I know).

radia wrote: »
    The pharmacists did compile an accurate list and had it on the IPU website. The HSE made them take it down (threats under competition act as far as I know).

lol but it's okay for them to put up an out of date/inaccurate/downright misleading list on their site?
    Why are we paying these people's wages again?

radia wrote: »

This is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Well I found one open eventually. Couldn't get through to any pharmacy by phone so had to walk around the city trying to find one that was open. Passed about 4 or 5 that were closed before I found one that was open. The place was packed so had to wait ages to finally get my prescription.

The whole situation is a disgrace. Pharmacists are protesting against the government by punishing sick people. The only thing this little stunt is going to do is turn the public against them. I'll never give any of those pharmacists that were closed today my business again.

The whole situation is a disgrace. Pharmacists are protesting against the government by punishing sick people. The only thing this little stunt is going to do is turn the public against them. I'll never give any of those pharmacists that were closed today my business again.

Legally it is the HSE's obligation to provide medication to he public under the Community Drug Schemes. Pharmacists were contracted out by the HSE to provide drugs to patients. The Minister changed the terms of the contract without any consultation to be effective with 12 days of notification. Many pharmacies have decided not to accept the contract and have terminated their contract according to the legislation.

Many pharmacies have terminated for different reasons. For some the cuts make them insolvent and they would have to close down anyway. For others the cuts are disproportionate (24%-34% take your pick) when compared to the cuts that other health professionals were given (8%).

It is clear that the HSE are not providing services that they are legally obliged to. The list of pharmacies that are still open for all business is clearly mistaken and completely confuses patients.

I am sorry that you will not be returning to these pharmacies but if they had taken the cuts, they probably would have been put out of business anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

For what it's worth, my doctor told me at the weekend that all branches of Unicare and Boots will not be affected and will fill prescriptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Miangel

Hi , i'm new in this forum, but the way things are going are scary.i'm working in the comunity pharmacy for four years and the on going things are absolutely terible it's so sad to see our regular customers trying to come or asking to get their tablets.it's scary for us the pharmacy workers we have families, little kids. If nothing b resolved,w'll be gone .... Sad, but hope that there are smart people, who will resolve this problem, soon. Because we do care about our patients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i don't understand why there closed, don't they sell other stuff?

my loccal one had it shutter half down wasn only letting the odd person in

Some are open and selling other items. Some prefer to stay closed to send out a stronger signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

I dont have time to check all of this thread to see if someone gave this info already but I know that Temple Bar Pharmacy is open , I was on the phone to them this morning.
    Regards
    John

Advertisement