Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Djouce

Options
  • 04-08-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi All,

Wanted to do Djouce on a fine day soon, but wanted to bring my fit six year old with me. Can anyone advise on how long wlak will take if we travle along the boardwalk rather than crone wood direction. Also could someone give me directions to car park if we choose the boardwalk.

Thanks

Bibio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The carpark is above Lough Tay and is very obvious. The board walk took me 45 minutes up and 45 minutes back the last time I did which was about a month ago. Taken that I'm quite fit you'd probably be looking at a 2 hour round trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I agree with Phil on the timings.

Coming from Kilmacanogue to Roundwood, turn right for Sally Gap where signposted about 2-2.5km before Roundwood and simply follow this road all the way up. Carpark will be on your right, long and narrowish on an uphill slope. You should be able to see the wooden signposts for the woodland also.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=53.104692,-6.255169&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=14&sll=53.107114,-6.251221&sspn=0.031534,0.105743&ie=UTF8&ll=53.092065,-6.202126&spn=0.06309,0.146427&t=h&z=13 Marked as "B"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I've walked and run Djouce a few times. I've a 6 year old too, but I don't think I'd consider taking them up there. It would be very tiring for a child and the weather can change quite quickly. I'd suggest a more conservative hike first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've walked and run Djouce a few times. I've a 6 year old too, but I don't think I'd consider taking them up there. It would be very tiring for a child and the weather can change quite quickly. I'd suggest a more conservative hike first.

Its not a difficult hike and I'd doubt a 6 year old would have any difficulty. I've done the longer version (from crone) before with cubs (7&8) without issue.

It's up to you OP but if your kid is anywya fit and has been walking with you before I think it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd say you'd be fine too (not that I have much experience of kids though) as long as you choose a fine day. It's boardwalk pretty much all the way with quite a gradual ascent, and it's only the last stretch of normal path to the summit that involves much in the way of a climb. That having been said, it can get quite windy on the exposed stretches of boardwalk though, esp. the bit over White Hill, so probably best to choose your day wisely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement