Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with new site build

Options
  • 04-08-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Wonder if you can help me with a couple of things. I have just recently purchased a website template to build a site for a friend. I am using Dreamweaver to manipulate it and change it accordingly but have run into some issues when I tried to upload it to my hosting provider last night.

1) I have 4 pillars on the index page and when viewed locally on my machine all looks good but when it's uploaded to the internet, there is an issue with the last pillar which seems to spill over. I have checked and the pillar sizes are all identical - I have taken the index page down but you can get an idea of what I am talking about by going to http://www.styledepot.ie/Services.html

2) my text doesnt match what I have in DW. I have set it to Verdana and used a Class - Grey1 but this doesnt translate when uploaded - again it all looks fine locally on my machine - any ideas?

3) I am not sure how to link the form to send an email off to her address when someone clicks send. I believe it's some CGI script but not 100% sure of how to do these. Are there "canned" scripts that can be re-used and altered accordingly?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Your stylesheet http://www.styledepot.ie/style.css can't be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Ah of course! Sorry, forgot to upload it... that has fixed the text issue...

Any idea on the other issues? I can upload the index.html file if required - just didnt want to put it live in case anyone saw it as business cards etc are already in circulation...

It's hard to say off the top of my head, there seems to be a lot of tables going on, which makes it a bit trickier to wade through.

If you can, re-do the page so it uses CSS for the layout.

If you can't, then put a border on the different elements until you can see where the problem is happening. If you use different border colours it can be very handy.

For the email thing - you're on a UNIX server, so you most likely have the ability to use PHP scripts. Google php contact form, and you'll get loads of sample scripts. I'm sure CGI will work as well.

Also - remember that filenames are case sensitive, so http://www.styledepot.ie/About.html works, but http://www.styledepot.ie/about.html (in your left hand menu) won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Services page - the content seems to be wider, making the bottom shadow "break".

• Advertisement

Yes, I did see that with the uppercases ok.. .going to change all to lower...

Hmm... Not sure why the services page has jumped like that... I will review again! It only seemed to happen when the CSS was uploaded... will see what's causing that.

Will also look for PHP script also... do I just insert this cose behind the send button or something?

Hi all,

I now have all issues resolved except the email piece using PHP. I have never used PHP before - as I said, I am no expert, but I have looked for a sample piece of code and tweak it to my needs... However, when I bring it into the site, it doesn't work. I am sure I am doing something platently obvious... Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

Your email form needs to be something like this:
    [html]<form name="frmContact" method="post" action="yourphpfile.php">[/html]
    instead of just <form> on its own.

Can you post up your PHP page?

Hi Eoin,

Here is the code...as you can see, very basic, but I thought it should capture what I am looking to do -

<?php
    $to = "info@styledepot.ie";
    $subject = "Contact Us";
    $name = $_REQUEST;
    $email = $_REQUEST ;
    $message = $_REQUEST ;
    $headers = "From: $email";
    $sent = mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers) ;
    if($sent)
    {print "Your mail was sent successfully"; }
    else
    {print "We encountered an error sending your mail"; }
    ?>

You have to match this:
    [php]$name = $_REQUEST;[/php]
    with a field in your HTML form like this:
    [html]<input type="text" name="name" class="form" />[/html]

and so on.

• Advertisement

Eoin,

Ok, I may be stupid, but I thought I had checked this and matched it all together... Have you seen any obvious errors?

The 3 fields I have in the form are named -

name
    email
    I had matched these in the PHP script I thought?

Thanks for your help on this!

They are not named in the HTML though. What is the name of your PHP Script, and I'll see if I can give it a quick go.

if you are sure, that would be great... the name of the script is contact.php

I thought that I had named the fields in the HTML also...

is this not what you mean -

<input name="name" type="text" class="form" id="name" size="30">

We're talking about this page, right? http://www.styledepot.ie/ContactUs.html

Yes. When I try to fill in the form and click "send" I am currently being asked if I want to open or save the PHP file. There is clearly something wrong somewhere...

Have you uploaded the files yet? I can't see the updated form fields at all.

Eoin,

I think I have it... If you enter details it does seem to work...

Can you let me know how I can get the form to bring the person to the following URL once they fill in the form - www.styledepot.ie/feedback.html

[php]
    header("Location: www.styledepot.ie/feedback.html");
    [/php]

Should do the trick (not a PHP expert though)

Hi Eoin,

I think I have it cracked actually... all mail is now flowing into the email box... I have added the html page to go to in the PHP Script and all is working now!

Thanks again for all your help! Really saved this "amateur" a lot of time and frustration...

Great stuff, best of luck with the website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement