Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal in Ireland and Elitist cancer

• 04-08-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

What is the craic with this bull**** undercurrent at every bar and gig in the country?
    So ****ing what? there is a girl wearing a MCR T-shirt at the bar? who the **** are you to abuse her, just because your Lamb of God T-shirt is more "metal".

There is a bunch of 80s Hardrock heads in the smoking area, why go over and try take the piss? not at their appearance, but take shots at their music taste? do you think your ****ing better?

The one that has to be the dumbest ever, is going to physically hit sombody for wearing a band T-shirt that you consider to be below you, cop the **** on you insecure little prick(they are actually usually quite big).

Ive noticed that the majority of these pricks can be found wearing Motorhead, tallica, and cookie monster metal T-shirts.
    Over in the metallica thread, most people are giving A7X a bad time, Im not a fan, but I know Id enjoy them as a support band, they seemed to have put on a show for their fans. Also people bragging that they were pelting their fans with food? just because they are "Emo"?
    So what if a girl wants to ride synister gates? just because your jealous that the guy you think looks a bit gay, can get more women that you doesnt give you the right to assault her with bananas! Maybe he is not gay, maybe your just jealous because you still havnt got a bit of action because your a 25 year old insecure little virgin.

If you are one of these pricks, cop the **** on. not everybody thinks your band is the height of musical taste:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

wah wah wah people don't agree with me and everyone should have the same opinion as me and love one another~ :rolleyes:

everyone is allowed to have their own opinion and a lot of people think A7X are a joke, me included. so what if we don't all agree. if everyone agreed on everything the world would be a boring place.
    they are a joke and i'm sorry but i cannot take a band seriously when you look at them and can tell they spend more time looking in the mirror than trying to make good music.

edit: also i didn't mean that to sound as rude as it did but honestly you can't make everyone agree on everything. and you'll probably just get flamed for making this thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

wah wah wah people don't agree with me and everyone should have the same opinion as me and love one another~ :rolleyes:

everyone is allowed to have their own opinion and a lot of people think A7X are a joke, me included. so what if we don't all agree. if everyone agreed on everything the world would be a boring place.
    they are a joke and i'm sorry but i cannot take a band seriously when you look at them and can tell they spend more time looking in the mirror than trying to make good music.

edit: also i didn't mean that to sound as rude as it did but honestly you can't make everyone agree on everything. and you'll probably just get flamed for making this thread..

I ****ing hate cookie monster music...I dont feel the need to get violent with people who do.

I ****ing hate Emo music....I dont feel the need to abuse a 17 year old girl.

I dont want everybody to agree, just dont create a bad atmosphere everywhere you go with your cancer.

Id rather have a good time at a A7X gig, that stand bored off my bollix watching mastodon. Arnt mastodon considered to be good? but live they stand there like a bunch of dicks.
    Give me A7X anyday.

BTW I do not own a A7X cd, and have only heard some stuff on kerrang.
    There is nothing wrong with looking good before you go out infront of 40,000 people.

kona wrote: »
    I ****ing hate cookie monster music...I dont feel the need to get violent with people who do.

I ****ing hate Emo music....I dont feel the need to abuse a 17 year old girl.

I dont want everybody to agree, just dont create a bad atmosphere everywhere you go with your cancer.

Id rather have a good time at a A7X gig, that stand bored off my bollix watching mastodon. Arnt mastodon considered to be good? but live they stand there like a bunch of dicks.
    Give me A7X anyday.

BTW I do not own a A7X cd, and have only heard some stuff on kerrang.
    There is nothing wrong with looking good before you go out infront of 40,000 people.

well I don't agree with actually hitting someone because they are wearing a shirt of an emo band or whatever, that's pretty pathetic in itself and makes you no better than the ~emo~ but it was stupid of whoever was in charge to put A7X on that bill again.
    the same thing happened in 06 (metal vs emo fights) and i dont think there are many metallica fans who wanted to see a7x on saturday, the area around the bar was so full of people in metal shirts.

like look at the list... metallica, AIC, mastodon, glyder, and thin lizzy and LOG were supposed to play too..how the hell does A7X fit in there like.

and i never said Mastodon were good live, infact i said they were incredibly boring, A7X weren't too boring, moreso..a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't be the only one who thought Elitist cancer were an unsigned act...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah, damn those A7X fans..one 16/17 year old hit me(I be 20) for not liking them/for liking AC more, also called me gay. Had a nice rant about why A7X are ultimately ****, ending by saying she'll grow up a bit. I really wouldn't have cared until she abused me.

I love putting on certain songs in pubs, then seeing some reactions to it. Makes me laugh at people like the OP described.

EDIT: Differences exists everywhere where objectivism is a central point of thought.

• Advertisement

also fair enough wanting to look decent before going on stage, theres always going to be people who care what others think and lots who don't give a **** and just wanna do what they love on stage.. but this is taking the piss..

orig-2551981.jpg

Avenged_Sevenfold.jpg

and im keeping the best one for last..

avenge-sevenfold.jpg

lol irl

Ha, dude on left looks like Ashton Kutcher:D in last picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭smythwicks

Mushy wrote: »

I think there good, but id rather listen to em and just not see em!

Mushy wrote: »

think its just that picture, heres his serious face without all the makeup
    1175360541_sM.Shadows.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

also fair enough wanting to look decent before going on stage, theres always going to be people who care what others think and lots who don't give a **** and just wanna do what they love on stage.. but this is taking the piss..

orig-2551981.jpg

Avenged_Sevenfold.jpg

and im keeping the best one for last..

avenge-sevenfold.jpg

lol irl

who re these??

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    who re these??

Avenged Sevenfold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

In fairness they've seemed to have toned it down a bit with the makeup. I don't necesarily like A7X that much either, they're alright but they put on a better show than Mastodon as they actually interacted with the crowd.

Plus throwing food and stuff at a band is retarded. Sure you mightn't like them or have wanted to see them but I'm sure that there are some people who like both bands. And others who didn't like them but didn't feel the need to abuse them or throw stuff at them. I don't like AIC but I didn't hurl bottles and stuff at them, I went back to the back of the crowd and sat down for a while.

It's the abuse of bands and their fans that the OP is talking about, not the dislike of the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

A bit off topic but jeez, back in the 80s all metallers(hard rock,thrash, NWOBHM) hung out. It was unusual to see ANYONE with a metal t-shirt on so it was a cool little clique and everyone got on. I remember getting serious kudos for my Anthrax,"I am the law" t-shirt in 1986, probably get a fortune for it now on ebay. There was only 2 guys I knew in Connemara(including me) that had the first 3 Metallica albums on vinyl(we had to import them), ah the good 'ol days, etc....

Kinda glad I got out of the scene a long time ago(the last metal gig I saw was Metallica and Danzig on the "justice" tour in the Top Hat, Dun Laoghaire!) although I still like a lot of it, and even get to relive my youth with the metal bands I record in my studio.

Its all rock'n'roll to me..

http://www.myspace.com/thejutefactory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

What is the craic with this bull**** undercurrent at every bar and gig in the country?
    So ****ing what? there is a girl wearing a MCR T-shirt at the bar? who the **** are you to abuse her, just because your Lamb of God T-shirt is more "metal".

There is a bunch of 80s Hardrock heads in the smoking area, why go over and try take the piss? not at their appearance, but take shots at their music taste? do you think your ****ing better?

The one that has to be the dumbest ever, is going to physically hit sombody for wearing a band T-shirt that you consider to be below you, cop the **** on you insecure little prick(they are actually usually quite big).

Ive noticed that the majority of these pricks can be found wearing Motorhead, tallica, and cookie monster metal T-shirts.
    Over in the metallica thread, most people are giving A7X a bad time, Im not a fan, but I know Id enjoy them as a support band, they seemed to have put on a show for their fans. Also people bragging that they were pelting their fans with food? just because they are "Emo"?
    So what if a girl wants to ride synister gates? just because your jealous that the guy you think looks a bit gay, can get more women that you doesnt give you the right to assault her with bananas! Maybe he is not gay, maybe your just jealous because you still havnt got a bit of action because your a 25 year old insecure little virgin.

If you are one of these pricks, cop the **** on. not everybody thinks your band is the height of musical taste:rolleyes:

Ahhh... I used to be one of those ****-heads.

I don't like emo at all, really, but I can see some of the merits of it. Really people need to find some common ground as regards musical taste and then you really start to get on well. I listen to all sorts these days, but years ago I was a "strictly come moshing" evangelical, trying to convert the blind by name-dropping obscure death metal/progressive acts and hoping people of equal elitism would hear my veritable Pokedex of cookie-monster-led-blast-beaters and join in the fun. But that gets very boring, and you obviously don't make a lot of friends that way. Once I shrugged off my elitism, having made the connection between my beloved prog-rock band Camel and my most hated of enemies Opeth (whom I hadn't heard much of but decided I hated them because death metallers are "supposed" to), I decided I'd check out all other forms of music because apparently I liked things I told myself I don't like.

So now I like everything from Earth, Wind & Fire to Empire Of The Sun to King Crimson to Morbid Angel. And I'm much, much happier for it.

Zeppe: summed it up perfectly with "it's all rock & roll to me." I'm gonna go listen to some Zeppelin when I get home.

Itrs not a A7X bashing session, yes they look abit odd, but in fairness to them they are no worse than any norweigic death metal heads, or seth putnam fans tbh, or indeed lars ulrich.

Id rather go out like A7X than go out like some kiss fan club reject.

In fairness if I had a band and I wanted to appeal to audience, It would be teenage / early 20s women, because thats who spend money, and lets face it id rather sing/play to a bunch of women than to a bunch of overweight sexually frustrated hairy pricks*...IMO.

No offense to sexually frustrated hairy people, but a large element of this cancer look like you, just with motorhead and tallica shirts on.

FWIW, Id consider EMO and A7X to be metal.

Risteard wrote: »
    It's the abuse of bands and their fans that the OP is talking about, not the dislike of the band.

It is indeed, and IMO its a joke. Ive been to metal gigs and bars in other countries, its a much better atmosphere, and everybody gets along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

FWIW, Id consider EMO and A7X to be metal.

Oh you've done it now.:D

About A7X, I think they have 1 decent song(Beast and the Harlot). All others just do nothing. Then when they supporting legendary bands, they really shouldn't strut around as if they own the place. Look ridiculous and wont get any respect. Tis all image with them to become big now.

In fairness if I had a band and I wanted to appeal to audience, It would be teenage / early 20s women, because thats who spend money, and lets face it id rather sing/play to a bunch of women than to a bunch of overweight sexually frustrated hairy pricks*...IMO.

that says it all. and YOU give out about people judging A7X?? yet you call metallica fans "a bunch of overweight sexually frustrated hairy pricks"?? come on sweetie!!

real bands play music to play music and do what they love, not to appeal to women or teenagers (though i am sure there are lots of bands that consider teh groupies a great perk of the job)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Never seen this elitist cancer thing in fibbers or bruxxies. Saying that, it'd probably seem unwise for the little people to punch me for no reason :D

=-=

Also, how heavy are EMO and A7X ? Have not heard of either of them.

• Advertisement

Ahhh... I used to be one of those ****-heads.

I don't like emo at all, really, but I can see some of the merits of it. Really people need to find some common ground as regards musical taste and then you really start to get on well. I listen to all sorts these days, but years ago I was a "strictly come moshing" evangelical, trying to convert the blind by name-dropping obscure death metal/progressive acts and hoping people of equal elitism would hear my veritable Pokedex of cookie-monster-led-blast-beaters and join in the fun. But that gets very boring, and you obviously don't make a lot of friends that way. Once I shrugged off my elitism, having made the connection between my beloved prog-rock band Camel and my most hated of enemies Opeth (whom I hadn't heard much of but decided I hated them because death metallers are "supposed" to), I decided I'd check out all other forms of music because apparently I liked things I told myself I don't like.

So now I like everything from Earth, Wind & Fire to Empire Of The Sun to King Crimson to Morbid Angel. And I'm much, much happier for it.

Zeppe: summed it up perfectly with "it's all rock & roll to me." I'm gonna go listen to some Zeppelin when I get home.

Exactly, why limit yourself to a sub genre within a genre, when you can go and experience so much else.

I brought my GF to fibbers one night, the poor girl had a terrible time, the amount of dirty looks she got, and when she went to the bar she told me some prick told her to get the **** out and she wasnt wanted there:rolleyes:

I hate this kind of crap, shes the kind of girl who like all types of music,she comes to metal gigs with me, she dresses more mainstream, and ususaly goes to the likes of barcode with her friends. Im ashamed that I get less crap about my appearance in barcode which is full of spicers and knack bags, than she got in fibbers.

that says it all. and YOU give out about people judging A7X?? yet you call metallica fans "a bunch of overweight sexually frustrated hairy pricks"?? come on sweetie!!

real bands play music to play music and do what they love, not to appeal to women or teenagers (though i am sure there are lots of bands that consider teh groupies a great perk of the job)

Im a metallica fan....Im certainly not overweight, i had long hair but that got assaulted by a scissors a while ago. My observation was that alot of the elitists are hairy and overweight. obviously some are sissys too.

Bollix, bands sign to labels to make money. Its la la land crap if you think they signed purely for musical reasons. Professional musicians are paid to play music. They play certain instrument brands because they are paid to. They have a Image that they use for recognition and to sell records. Weather it be mastodon or A7X, they both decided on what image to use, in order to apeal to a certain fan.

Whats a real band and whats a fake band? :D:P

Are fake bands from china?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I always thought metal fans used to just get along. Any slagging being done over someone's band t-shirt was usually just that - slagging! It never got violent. Are younger metal fans that insecure these days that they need to get violent with someone just because they happen to prefer band x over band y?

And Elitist Cancer is a bloody great name for a band, an elabum or even just a song!

the_syco wrote: »
    Never seen this elitist cancer thing in fibbers or bruxxies. Saying that, it'd probably seem unwise for the little people to punch me for no reason :D

=-=

Also, how heavy are EMO and A7X ? Have not heard of either of them.

Oh EMO and A7X are real heavy;):pac::D

Metal is a genre with loadsa sub genres.

A7X and other EMO bands fall into a sub genre within the metal genre.

malice_ wrote: »
    I always thought metal fans used to just get along. Any slagging being done over someone's band t-shirt was usually just that - slagging! It never got violent. Are younger metal fans that insecure these days that they need to get violent with someone just because they happen to prefer band x over band y?

And Elitist Cancer is a bloody great name for a band, an elabum or even just a song!

Im gunna TM that name:D

Ive only ever noticed its older fans, maybe in mid to late 20s who get violent, most just give dirty looks and abuse.
    Oh wait that young :P. well its old for me!

There is a difference between calling a band **** and abusing the person wearing it, and in some cases assaulting them.

I used to think metal heads got along......after a few tallica gigs and quite a few nites in fibbers and bruxelles, I have to say its not the way.

I dont think you would realise unless your on the other end of it. Wear a paramore T-shirt to fibbers and go to that bar and get a blue wkd and see what happens:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Personally I think AX7 and all their variants suck donkey balls.Thats my opinion and Im entitled to it.However,people like these types of band and they are also entitled to their opinion.I certainly wouldnt berate anyone for wearing a band t-shirt or whatever.
    Besides,this emo crap is just like nu-metal,a fad.
    It will eventually die a death as fans get older and realise its actually just crap music.
    I know a few people that were rabid Sh1tknot fans a few years ago but now cannot stand them.

Metal has always been a pretty divisive genre anyway.

In the early 90s you were either a Metallica or Megadeth fan but very rarely the 2.

Live and let live,its only fcuking music.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Personally I think AX7 and all their variants suck donkey balls.Thats my opinion and Im entitled to it.However,people like these types of band and they are also entitled to their opinion.I certainly wouldnt berate anyone for wearing a band t-shirt or whatever.

Thats cool, there is nothing wrong with a bit of banter, and teasing people that their bands are ****:D
    But some people cant see where the line is, also they cant take it when abuse is thrown back at them, and then things get violent, Its a bit sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Tool fans wouldnt act like this! ;)

I never got metallica fans arrogance anyways, to me, they are absolutely ****e in my eyes. They are the U2 of heavy rock music, nothing more, the first band that someone trying to get into listening to metal will listen to, but it baffles me as to how people fail to realise they are crap once their musical knowledge is broadened.....

And to the OP, great post I must say, Id love to post something like that myself but im more of an electronic music fan, and know little about metal past bands like Mesuggah, Sepultura etc... But your dead right when you speak of those people's insecurities. Ive heard people say Metallica are the bext band in the world (this sums up what those people know about music, or what music is to them).

So all we can do is continue to pass no heed on this dominant attitude in Ireland.

Metallica are the best band in the world.
    Electronic music is just pushing buttons.
    Hip-hop is for black crack heads.
    Ambient music is for depressants.
    Indie is for gayz.....

But the music I listen to is just perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Im gunna TM that name:D

Ive only ever noticed its older fans, maybe in mid to late 20s who get violent, most just give dirty looks and abuse.
    Oh wait that young :P. well its old for me!
    These people are insecure scumbags, the fact that they are metal fans is beside the point to me. Had you said teenagers I would have expressed hope that they would grow up and cop themselves on.
    kona wrote:
    I used to think metal heads got along......after a few tallica gigs and quite a few nites in fibbers and bruxelles, I have to say its not the way.
    So basically it's Dublin-based metal fans that are arseholes to each other? Metal fans get on great with each other here in Galway :)
    kona wrote:
    I dont think you would realise unless your on the other end of it. Wear a paramore T-shirt to fibbers and go to that bar and get a blue wkd and see what happens:p
    To be fair if I was a hot girl I might get away with it otherwise it'd be my own mates giving me slaps, never mind random strangers. I've got a Blink 182 t-shirt somewhere that I've worn out and about a few times and never had a word said to me. I must dig it out and see what happens again. After reading this thread I'm curious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I wore an aphex twin t-shirt to Fibbers once. Unsurprisingly, nobody would have had a clue what is was.

Advertisement