Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal in Ireland and Elitist cancer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

malice_ wrote: »
    These people are insecure scumbags, the fact that they are metal fans is beside the point to me. Had you said teenagers I would have expressed hope that they would grow up and cop themselves on.

So basically it's Dublin-based metal fans that are arseholes to each other? Metal fans get on great with each other here in Galway :)

To be fair if I was a hot girl I might get away with it otherwise it'd be my own mates giving me slaps, never mind random strangers. I've got a Blink 182 t-shirt somewhere that I've worn out and about a few times and never had a word said to me. I must dig it out and see what happens again. After reading this thread I'm curious.

you would think hot women would get away with it:confused: nope they are fair game too, some lads just dont "get" it:cool::D:o

Well I must check out galway, if you wore a blink 182 T-shirt, spiked up your hair and wore baggy trousers, went to fibbers or a metallica concert Id have no doubt you would get a few slaps.:(

I wore an aphex twin t-shirt to Fibbers once. Unsurprisingly, nobody would have had a clue what is was.

who are they?:confused::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

kona wrote: »
    who are they?:confused::P
    I was expecting someone in the place to say '**** off with your techno music'. You know - all electronic music is techno to those folk

I wore an aphex twin t-shirt to Fibbers once. Unsurprisingly, nobody would have had a clue what is was.

**** off with your techno music:rolleyes::P:pac::D;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Aphex Twin is the alias of famed DJ Richard D. James. He did that song Windowlicker, the video that has all the hot women dancing about with horribly distorted man faces. *shudder*

And yes, metal fans in Galway tend to get on all right. Although I do get strange looks from people when I mention that I'm a metal fan. Because I really don't look like one. I usually go out in a faux-hawk, shirt and designer jeans with some rather nice shoes. I like to look good :cool:. More importantly, I like to get laid.

And to _Malice, yes, wear the Blink shirt. See what happens and report back. Especially round the Roisin, there's plenty of musical snobbery in there to agitate.

EDIT: Aphex Twin happens to be awesome too. Also check out Squarepusher for some crazy jazzy fun.

• Advertisement

More importantly, I like to get laid.

Id have to say I do too:D

Some Elitists dont for some reason:confused:, either that or they are clueless on how to approach a girl:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Especially round the Roisin, there's plenty of musical snobbery in there to agitate.

My brother used to go there a lot over the past few years. Its sad to see how much that place gone to the dogs. Full of **** dancing around to MGMT, yet thinking they are great because they listen to Elliot Smith and Animal Collective. I remember being at a breakcore gig there a few months back. The guy playing who is a pisstake act, hilarious personality to be honest, started off mashing up vengaboys and all that.

Anyways, all the snotty bitched in there were dancing away... then he broke into actualy music he plays, and ALL those girls got their jackets and left. Roughly 20 people were left dancing. Yet those are the people who fit your view of the place.... But they're not metallers, musical snobbery exists in every genre. Basically, in my view, most people arent genuine music fans.

My brother used to go there a lot over the past few years. Its sad to see how much that place gone to the dogs. Full of **** dancing around to MGMT, yet thinking they are great because they listen to Elliot Smith and Animal Collective. I remember being at a breakcore gig there a few months back. The guy playing who is a pisstake act, hilarious personality to be honest, started off mashing up vengaboys and all that.

Anyways, all the snotty bitched in there were dancing away... then he broke into actualy music he plays, and ALL those girls got their jackets and left. Roughly 20 people were left dancing. Yet those are the people who fit your view of the place.... But they're not metallers, musical snobbery exists in every genre. Basically, in my view, most people arent genuine music fans.

A Elitish snobbish cancer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

Im gunna TM that name:D

Ive only ever noticed its older fans, maybe in mid to late 20s who get violent, most just give dirty looks and abuse.
    Oh wait that young :P. well its old for me!

There is a difference between calling a band **** and abusing the person wearing it, and in some cases assaulting them.

I used to think metal heads got along......after a few tallica gigs and quite a few nites in fibbers and bruxelles, I have to say its not the way.

I dont think you would realise unless your on the other end of it. Wear a paramore T-shirt to fibbers and go to that bar and get a blue wkd and see what happens:p

yeah i do agree its the older guys who give abuse. i rarely see people my age starting fights over stuff like that.. last year at metallica i wasn't dressed like a fan really just a regular 18yr old girl, anyways this group of guys who were all i'd say 35+ started saying they were "true" fans and elbowing me and pushing me into the crowd, it was clearly on purpose.

i misread this thread i guess. i thought you meant people who dislike other people in general but i guess you were talking about people who give others abuse for liking a band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I hate what I hate and I like what I like but I would never abuse someone for their opinions or favourite music. If my opinion is asked for however, then I will give it.

While I am not a "fan" of either band. Avenged Sevenfold put on a better "show" than Mastodon on Saturday.

I couldn't tell you which music I preferred (horrible sound on the day for everyone bar Metallica) it was all new to me but I was more entertained by Avenged Sevenfold anyway.

Anyone remember Lost Prophets and Linkin Park supporting Metallica (was it in the RDS in '06), they had it rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I remember Lostprophets being bottled at the RDS in 2004 when they were supporting Metallica, they were really and truly awful but nobody deserves to be bottled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I remember Lostprophets being bottled at the RDS in 2004 when they were supporting Metallica, they were really and truly awful but nobody deserves to be bottled.

Well there's being bottled, and there's being bottled....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hnxies4Wtk

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The Dublin Metal scene is particularly rife with elitist ****e. I definitely don't approve of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

peter1892 wrote: »
    Well there's being bottled, and there's being bottled....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hnxies4Wtk

;)

wow!

On the topic of elitist fat hairy kunts, fook'em. I went to soulfly back in Feb, I dont look metal.. at all, but Im a massive fan, more so than the pwicks there (i could sing along to umbababaraumba.. yeah noone else could). While lined up outside I got the filthiest looks ever :( so I quickly messed up my stylish hair so I could look more "greasy metal-head" if ya get me, and ditched the white t-shirt in favour of a skinny chest :P fit in fine after that though haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

I dont look any thing like a metal fan. When I tell people what music im into they are always suprised to hear. Ive never had problems though with anyone. Last years Metallica gig I went in a soccer jersey :pac: Had no problems at all.This year I bought a Metallica shirt when I got there but still wasnt in anything like what would be considered Metal clothes.
    Have to say though bottling bands is out of order. You may not like them but some do so you should leave them enjoy it.
    The daphne and celeste one though is understandable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

On the topic of clothes,I wore a completely white t-shirt to Metallica, made me real easy to find in the pit :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Like in any hobby, pursuit or activity, this competitive shyte is just insecurity and immaturity. And of course it's worse here in Ireland, where you can't squeeze out a nicely shaped turd without someone else resenting you for it.

It would be nice if everyone could just enjoy what they like and let others enjoy THEIR journey through life. Life is too short to get worked up about such things.

Sure, me and others laughed somewhat at A7X but that's about it. It's not worth getting any more worked up about what other people are into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bollix, bands sign to labels to make money. Its la la land crap if you think they signed purely for musical reasons. Professional musicians are paid to play music.
    Aye. Bands form for "purely for musical reasons" and sign to get their album out there, to get gigs organized in far off places, etc.

=-=

Flicked through some A7X videos. Their music is not heavy. Heck, Papa Roach would be heavier then them. Oh, and they dress like f**king spastic emos. Disliking how a good few emo bullsh|t bands are diluting the metal scene with their rock. I blame Kerrang & Scuzz for playing their sh|te, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Anybody else hear "video killed the radio star" playing in the background?
    Who cares what they look like. I buy CDs, loose the artwork in days and couldn't give a toss.
    And anyone who knocks A7X songwriting ability should actually listen to the songs instead of getting lost in sinister gates' eyes.

Anyway, this happen's at most metallica gigs.
    I think it is a passive aggressive swipe at those who aren't too old to discover new music, and I bet a lot of the swipers liked slayer before they were cool i.e. when they were hair metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

In fairness if I had a band and I wanted to appeal to audience, It would be teenage / early 20s women, because thats who spend money, and lets face it id rather sing/play to a bunch of women than to a bunch of overweight sexually frustrated hairy pricks*...IMO.
    Bollix, bands sign to labels to make money. Its la la land crap if you think they signed purely for musical reasons. Professional musicians are paid to play music. They play certain instrument brands because they are paid to. They have a Image that they use for recognition and to sell records. Weather it be mastodon or A7X, they both decided on what image to use, in order to apeal to a certain fan.
    Off-topic, but the above quotes piss me off. Yes, a lot of bands do play their type of music to make money but the most important bands in history did NOT do this.

Playing to make money, i.e. playing it safe doesn't involve any experimentation, never pushes musical boundaries and if every single band out there did it, music would forever be stagnant and lacking any sort of substance. Plus, would have never been given Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Pink Floyd and others meaning none of the previously mentioned bands in this thread would ever exist.

kona wrote:
    FWIW, Id consider EMO and A7X to be metal.
    Just so I can further be an elitist prick...
    Emo: Stylistic origins Hardcore punk
    Hardcore punk: Stylistic origins Punk rock
    Excuse me while I pull off my smelly Deicide t-shirt from over my beer belly and untangle it from my greasy long hair :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Shane_C wrote: »
    Anybody else hear "video killed the radio star" playing in the background?
    Who cares what they look like. I buy CDs, loose the artwork in days and couldn't give a toss.
    And anyone who knocks A7X songwriting ability should actually listen to the songs instead of getting lost in sinister gates' eyes.

Anyway, this happen's at most metallica gigs.
    I think it is a passive aggressive swipe at those who aren't too old to discover new music, and I bet a lot of the swipers liked slayer before they were cool i.e. when they were hair metal.

:eek:
    Think thats pantera youre thinking of there mate!

Slayers first original song was Aggressive Perfector, , featured on a compilation album. (metal massacre i think).. that song is hardly hair metal.

And for the record, A7X are cack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Max Power1 wrote: »
    :eek:
    Think thats pantera youre thinking of there mate!
    I thought that too but didn't want to look like a fool if I was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

To be fair, even when Pantera were glam, they rocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

What is the craic with this bull**** undercurrent at every bar and gig in the country?
    So ****ing what? there is a girl wearing a MCR T-shirt at the bar? who the **** are you to abuse her, just because your Lamb of God T-shirt is more "metal".

Ive noticed that the majority of these pricks can be found wearing Motorhead, tallica, and cookie monster metal T-shirts.

Am i the only one who sees just a hint of irony here?

xanthor wrote: »
    What is the craic with this bull**** undercurrent at every bar and gig in the country?
    So ****ing what? there is a girl wearing a MCR T-shirt at the bar? who the **** are you to abuse her, just because your Lamb of God T-shirt is more "metal".

Am i the only one who sees just a hint of irony here?

Please read the thread, Im sure there are pricks who support the type of bands that these clowns look down upon, but its by far more rife with people who follow these types of bands.

Im beginning to think that there is a scumbag element to metallica fans in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Im beginning to think that there is a scumbag element to metallica fans in particular.

There's a scumbag element in most walks of life nowadays unfortunately - unfair to target Metallica fans. Where I was at Marlay Park, just infront of the mixing desk/lights tower, there was no major hassle apart from a wee lad who though it would be great fun to crowd surf over two girls who paniced. He was soon put in his place. It was just a bit of youthful high spirits - he'll get over it.

This crap about tee shirts etc. I went to Donnington in 1988 on a bus from Glasgow. 48 thrashers (including me) and 2 glam rockers tarted up like they were in Poison. The craic was mighty. No bad vibes at all. Just plenty of slagging going both ways.

There's a scumbag element in most walks of life nowadays unfortunately - unfair to target Metallica fans. Where I was at Marlay Park, just infront of the mixing desk/lights tower, there was no major hassle apart from a wee lad who though it would be great fun to crowd surf over two girls who paniced. He was soon put in his place. It was just a bit of youthful high spirits - he'll get over it..

Im not targetting tallica fans, in fairness the ones who aint scum know who they are and the ones who are ****bags know who they are. However, its only at metallica gigs that I find this carry on, and it translates into bars and pubs, its usually the guy with a metallica T-shirt being the prick.
    This crap about tee shirts etc. I went to Donnington in 1988 on a bus from Glasgow. 48 thrashers (including me) and 2 glam rockers tarted up like they were in Poison. The craic was mighty. No bad vibes at all. Just plenty of slagging going both ways.
    Thats the way it should be, but I can guarantee you, if you get a slap from thrashers for even wearing a Poison T-shirt, If you were glammed up you would be destroyed.
    Although , 1988 in England you could get away with the poison "look", in Ireland you would be killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭fligedlyflick

all modern metal is ****e and is based on looks to entrap deluded wee ****ers to buy their albums, the abhorrent slipknot have raised a generation of faux laughable satanists, deathcore has basically kept the make-up counter in boots recession proof, and i have been asked on numerous occasions for the loan of my old suffocation shirt by retards "who never listened to them but oli sykes wears one so they must be good",

i'm proud to be an elitist metal fan, but i fall short on the actual punching aspect of these twats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

all modern metal is ****e
    Another sweeping generalisation. All modern metal is not shite. I can think of a bunch of new albums that I have gotten recently that are at least as good as older metal.
    based on looks to entrap deluded wee ****ers to buy their albums
    This is nothing new. Bands have been using their look for years.
    i have been asked on numerous occasions for the loan of my old suffocation shirt by retards "who never listened to them but oli sykes wears one so they must be good"
    Are these so-called retards supposed to be your friends? If so I'd find new ones as the current crop seem to annoy you a lot. I'm not elitist enough to know who either Oli Sykes or Suffocation are so I can't comment on the rest of that part :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

growing up in the late 80 early 90s as a metal fan the only abuse i ever got was from ravers and the like, all 'metal' fans (Skid Row, Bon Jovi, GnR to Metallica, Slayer, Morbid Angel fans) never really abused one another save in the moshing pit!

Advertisement