Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compose/Recompose

• 04-08-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Not even sure if I've titled that correctly but what with the tightness of the 5D II's AF points it is frustrating when I want to use more of the viewfinder so I've decided it's time to learn compose/recompose.
    I've read links and have learned about it works better when so much of a distance is allowed, ie very close it is not recommended.
    Can somebody help me and put it in step by step? (bulletform)
    Bringing my manual to work later tonight too, I have a terrible memory and a step by step is easier to digest/remember than a website link
    TY.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Yeah it can introduce errors. If you focus on something with (say) a central focal point (split prism or AF point or whatever) and then tilt the camera to re-compose you're tilting the focal plane. This will result in something you had previously focused on going out of focus. Correct way to do it is to focus and then move the camera in the same plane to re-compose. IE if you're taking a full length shot and focusing on the head and then re-composing, the best way to re-compose is to hunker down because this will result in the camera moving in the same plane, as opposed to tilting the camera down, as this will result in the focal plane getting tilted behind the subject, and the subjects head going out of focus.

In practice however, you can just stop down a tad and chances are you won't see the problem.

I used to do this all the time, until I got a cam with more than one AF point (my F100). Now of course I find all my shots are boringly composed with the subject always hovering around one of the points. :D

-edit- actually, if you're using the AF point closest to where you want the eventual subject position to be and then re-compose then you've probably introduced very little error at all. I'd only worry about it if you're shooting up close at 1.4 or something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Kinda like you want the camera to focus on an object in the bottom right of the frame but your auto-focus points are in the middle of the frame?
    On Nikon anway:

Put the object you want to be in focus in the centre of the frame, press the shutter button halfway down to lock the focus and exposure.
    Recompose with the object in focus where you want it in the frame and press the shutter button down the rest of the way to take the pic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I only ever use the centre focus point, and as above I focus on what I want to shoot and then compose the shot.

Unless I am completely missing what you're asking here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Focus -> Compose -> Shoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

CabanSail wrote: »
    Focus -> Compose -> Shoot

Dya reckon we could maybe dumb this down EVEN MORE for AR ?
    • Focus
    • Compose
    • Shoot

I have a powerpoint presentation on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

LOL... :D

I only ever use the central AF anyway as its stronger than the others, and in dark conditions such as gigs that can make a HUGE difference. As long as you keep the same focal plane - ie - don't move forwards or back (too much - depends on the aperture and how far away you are) then you should be fine.

Or you could use manual focus and then you don't have to worry about it at all. A bit difficult when things are moving fast though.

Advertisement