Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving water tank

• 04-08-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Is there any major disadvantage to moving my water tank in my attic from where it is now (perched on a custom platform in them middle of the attic) back down to being on top of the joists (spreading the load over a load-bearing wall). The height difference is about 1 metre lower. I've no idea why it was perched up where it is (this was done probably in the late 70's / early 80's, l only moved in there in 2004). Most people I know in the area have their water tank level with the joists.

I have a shower / mixer unit in the upstairs bathroom and a Triton in the downstairs bathroom.

Would there be an appreciable drop in cold water pressure in the upstairs bathroom to warrant not moving the tank (I'll be getting this done by a plumber)? Moving it would free up a fair chunk of the usable space in the attic.

Any input would be welome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

the 1m drop will be noticed big time, it about half what u have now.
    also the longer horizontal pipe runs will reduce the flow.

In passing is the tank plastic or galvo steel: if the latter and u say it is there since the 70's u need to replace it and treat it with care before u do replace it.

Dont push at any 'bubbles' on the inside or outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

It is plastic. The original tank was in the attic when I bought it, rusted away to nothing, rotting in the corner.

There wouldn't be much horizontal flow, in fact, less than there is now as the position I was thinking of is closer to the bathroom than the current one.

Thanks for your input :)

Advertisement