Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

acer laptop tesco

• 04-08-2009 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

i saw an acer in tesco at 349 euro. It is an extensia 5320 but i cannot find that exact one online. It had only 1 gig ram and windows vista homebasic. 2.2 GHZ with an intel mobile celeron processor m900
    4 usb ports. Bit on the low spec side?
    That all I can remember

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ozzieoz

anyone know of a laptop 300 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I just bought this laptop in Tesco Jervis - 299eur (though advertised as 349).

Acer Extensa 5230
    2.2Ghz Celeron M900
    Vista Sp 1
    160 GB HDD
    1GB DDR2 RAM

I think its quite the bargain, thanks op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

I just bought this laptop in Tesco Jervis - 299eur (though advertised as 349).

Acer Extensa 5230
    2.2Ghz Celeron M900
    Vista Sp 1
    160 GB HDD
    1GB DDR2 RAM

I think its quite the bargain, thanks op
    You're welcome, good luck with it
    Do you have to remove keyboard to install more RAM?
    What is the speed of the front side bus? How did you get it for 299e?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Alot of those were delivered, I'd keep an eye out for offers near the end of the month. I don't know anything further, but just seem like a lot of them to get in for €299.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

What's the story with buying a laptop with Windows Vista and upgrading to Windows 7, is there any money-off upgrade option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Dman001 wrote: »
    What's the story with buying a laptop with Windows Vista and upgrading to Windows 7, is there any money-off upgrade option?

No, if you but a windows vista basic computer, you wont get a free upgrade, dont think anyone would give money off.

No point in getting a basic OS, dead technology IMO.

Seen this laptop today. I dont think its worth the money, you can get a bit better for about the same if not less from many other computer stores.

1gb RAM
    Vista basic.

Meh.

o'rly?

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Seen this laptop today. I dont think its worth the money, you can get a bit better for about the same if not less from many other computer stores.

1gb RAM
    Vista basic.

Meh.

Ok I've waited a few days for you to back up this claim.
    I think you're talking through your ass.

I've spent the last month looking for a new laptop, and this is the best value I found.

For 300eur you will typically be able to get 1.6ghz, 1gb ram, maybe 250gb hdd.

What makes this laptop a bargain is that its 2.2Ghz processor. For 300eur you will not find that elsewhere at the mo. The processor is the most important part of the laptop because you can upgrade everything else.

Secondly the ram is 1 x 1GB. Every other cheap laptop I looked at was 2 x 512 MB. The second slot is easily accessible, so its really 2GB for another 15eur.

And a DVD burner and 6 cell battery are unexpected bonuses on a 300eur laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I've spent the last month looking for a new laptop, and this is the best value I found.

For 300eur you will typically be able to get 1.6ghz, 1gb ram, maybe 250gb hdd.

What makes this laptop a bargain is that its 2.2Ghz processor. For 300eur you will not find that elsewhere at the mo. The processor is the most important part of the laptop because you can upgrade everything else.

Secondly the ram is 1 x 1GB. Every other cheap laptop I looked at was 2 x 512 MB. The second slot is easily accessible, so its really 2GB for another 15eur.

And a DVD burner and 6 cell battery are unexpected bonuses on a 300eur laptop.
    There's a reason why Intel don't market the clock speed of their processors anymore; it's because it's redundant. Clock speed, for the last 4 years or so, has taken a back seat to the amount of cores a processor has, its L2 cache, its ability to lower the clock speed when idle, e.g. SpeedStep, and other power-saving features.

While I agree that €300 is a great price for a laptop, I wouldn't single out the speed of the celeron processor as the reason why it's a bargain.

What are you on about? I never said i was going to back up any claim.

If you want to cheap out on a laptop, deal or not, go right ahead. I personaly wouldnt buy it as it meets feck all requirments of a standard laptop.
    my laptop:
    4gb RAM
    250gb hdd
    windows vista upgraded to ultimate then win 7.
    AMD turion 64x2
    windows rating 4.3
    €699
    Thats what i consider a bargin

There is a reason the laptop is 300e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Unfortunately I think its not a bargain either. I recently bough a good price netbook for slightly more, same ram, similar processing power, same HDD but with the added benefit of being far more portable (which I wanted)

Spending a bit more would get you a far better bargain in my opinion.

Even at €249, if you had a specific use that matches those specs then fine, else is a pointless purchase.

On the win7 issue, I installed win7 on my netbook with no problems & runs fine.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    What are you on about? I never said i was going to back up any claim.

If you want to cheap out on a laptop, deal or not, go right ahead. I personaly wouldnt buy it as it meets feck all requirments of a standard laptop.
    my laptop:
    4gb RAM
    250gb hdd
    windows vista upgraded to ultimate then win 7.
    AMD turion 64x2
    windows rating 4.3
    €699
    Thats what i consider a bargin

There is a reason the laptop is 300e.
    no you just kind of threw it out there as fact didnt you.
    I figured, maybe he's gonna go off now and find a link to some bargain or maybe he passes by some shop everyday that has great deals and he'll post one tomorrow.

Usually people back up there claims, and when they dont they're considered to be talking out their ass.

Guys, I do realise that if you are willing to pay a few hundred euros more that you will get a far superior machine.

Notice that to get the specs you have Darksaga87, you had to pay more than twice the price.

I got a Sony VAIO NS series laptop at christmas for just under 500eur (great sterling ex at the time). Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 250GB Hdd, 3GB ram. That was a ****ing bargain and a half.

But there are a lot of people out there who dont want to spend 500-700eur on a laptop and this is the one Id recommend for them.

If you look around (I was glued to here, komplett, ebuyer, pixmania, even laptops direct and went into peats, pc world etc) the cheapers laptops out there are 299-350 eur. If you are looking for a laptop in this price range, then I think this deal in tesco is the best bang for your buck at the moment.

Obviously this isnt the best laptop on the market, and only a moran would try buy a gaming laptop for 300eur, but I can do all the things that I want with this laptop.

no you just kind of threw it out there as fact didnt you.
    I figured, maybe he's gonna go off now and find a link to some bargain or maybe he passes by some shop everyday that has great deals and he'll post one tomorrow.

Usually people back up there claims, and when they dont they're considered to be talking out their ass.
    I work in a computer store with pretty good deal's.

I understand you expected me to back it up (which i never did :cool:)
    I apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Saw this in Tesco today too, was surprised by the price until I saw it was a celeron cpu, vista would chugg on this and even XP, id say anyone who's gonna get one, install Win2k to get any kinda decent performance out of it.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ch750536 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think its not a bargain either. I recently bough a good price netbook for slightly more, same ram, similar processing power, same HDD but with the added benefit of being far more portable (which I wanted)

Spending a bit more would get you a far better bargain in my opinion.

Even at €249, if you had a specific use that matches those specs then fine, else is a pointless purchase.

On the win7 issue, I installed win7 on my netbook with no problems & runs fine.

In fairness you're quite a bit wrong there, a 2.2Ghz Core 2 based Celeron will absolutely trash the 1.6Ghz Atom that appears in netbooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

09082009170.jpg

They have them in Tesco Navan if anyone is looking for them :)

If they realsed them around christmas, they would make a fortune!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

My portable DVD player is on the way out after 5 years of great performance.
    Looking for something that will play the odd movie from a USB pen, play normal DVD's, surf the net a bit, watch Youtube clips, etc.
    Not much else needed. No gaming required.
    Have a Dell desktop for most other things, but looking for something portable.
    A decent portable DVD player would cost me EUR200, so how does this stack up? All opinions welcome!

Id say your priotities so are weight, size and battery life. A good netbook might be the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Topmanager

People on here are missing the point,Some people just want a cheap laptop to browse the Internet,Send emails and do a bit of typing.They dont want a laptop that will be able to control the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Specs seem ok for the money IMO. The only problem is that it's an Acer. I bought a top of the range acer about 4 years ago and after 2 years I had to chuck it in the bin due to a f**ked motherboard. My brother bought one too (albeit a cheaper model) and had to chuck his after 18 months. Wouldn't touch an acer with a bargepole ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Rashers72 wrote: »
    My portable DVD player is on the way out after 5 years of great performance.
    Looking for something that will play the odd movie from a USB pen, play normal DVD's, surf the net a bit, watch Youtube clips, etc.
    Not much else needed. No gaming required.
    Have a Dell desktop for most other things, but looking for something portable.
    A decent portable DVD player would cost me EUR200, so how does this stack up? All opinions welcome!

Your usage seems suited with the specs of this laptop, so I'd say go for it if you're interested. If you're looking for something more compact, then a netbook would probably be more ideal, I'd recommend the Samsung NC10 as I have one myself, however, you'd need an external DVD drive if you want to watch DVDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

CombatCow wrote: »
    Saw this in Tesco today too, was surprised by the price until I saw it was a celeron cpu, vista would chugg on this and even XP, id say anyone who's gonna get one, install Win2k to get any kinda decent performance out of it.

CC

I am looking at this laptop for a friend.

He just wants basic Windows / Word / Internet / Basic Photos etc.

Nothing flashy.

I was going to recommend this one in Tesco to him, but having
    read your posting, I'm having second thoughts.

Are Celeron Processor / 1GB laptops running Vista a waste
    of money?

This one caught my eye because I've read that Acer are
    a very reliable, solid, basic brand.

What laptop would you recommend for a basic user
    i.e. no games or video editing, just basic home use?

Thanks

The tesco one would do fine just for buzzing on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just in case this is a consideration for anyone the guarentee is collect and return to Acer Rep in Cork.

You will need to call them to identify the fault.

Turn around is about 2 weeks, you can leave it into the store or have it collected and returned to your home.

Just thought you should know this if you are intending to use it for college etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Just in case this is a consideration for anyone the guarentee is collect and return to Acer Rep in Cork.

You will need to call them to identify the fault.

Turn around is about 2 weeks, you can leave it into the store or have it collected and returned to your home.

Just thought you should know this if you are intending to use it for college etc.

How does that service compare with that for comparable laptops?
    On the face of it, having a rep in Cork sounds good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

Bought one in Artane Tesco yesterday. No special offer. Cost €349. Didn't have time to look around different Tesco to see if they were still doing the offer.

Does anyone know if this offer is officially over or are some Tesco stores still offering the discount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Topmanager

nantony98 wrote: »
    Bought one in Artane Tesco yesterday. No special offer. Cost €349. Didn't have time to look around different Tesco to see if they were still doing the offer.

Does anyone know if this offer is officially over or are some Tesco stores still offering the discount?

That offer ended on the 12/08/09...
    This laptop was on sale for €299

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Here's looking for 25% or 50% off or rebate in vouchers offer soon
    from Tesco :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Don't Lenovo do similar pricing in their N series? Even Tesco sell them occasionally.. They're doing an N bundle.. but it's not a good price, if you break down the probable cost of the extras.

I would recommend the Lenovo N500 over the Acer, if you can get the laptop on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Oh.. and may I ask, anyone posted so far, do you work for, or are you in Tesco marketing, there's some odd defensive posting going on.. a tad protective of opinions.. for the subject at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

• Registered Users Posts: 31 johnmike

my wife bought this acer 5230 for me and in fairness if you just want to surf the net it is ok but its not up to much else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I think its worth going the extra mile and paying about 500-600 euro for a laptop, I got a dell inspirion 17 with ATI graphics for about 550, its a brilliant machine, will play far cry 2 and hawx smoothly. 300 squid is fine for browsing, but your getting a really limited machine, and the build quality may not be up to much imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

johnmike wrote: »
    my wife bought this acer 5230 for me and in fairness if you just want to surf the net it is ok but its not up to much else

Am I right in thinking there's no current Bargain Alert here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yup just someone draggin up a zombie.

MC

Advertisement