Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o'connell st.

Options
  • 04-08-2009 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

please i beg someone do to something to let this street fufill its potential...anything.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's pretty crap alright. What did you have in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Where is this O Connell St you speak of? Limerick?
    There's no O Connell St in Dublin. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

its not crap just unfufilled. i really don't know, i would prefer it to be where street performers perform rather than grafton st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Remove scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

do something about the north/north-east of the street, i.e from henry st. northwards. i know they plan to put a street between where quirkey's is and the ilac moore st mall, but theres still fook all around there.

also, remove quirkeys. replace with dept. store, coffee shop or even a theatre. now that the ambassador is going...

also run the luas up it. its going to be part of metro north anyway, why not put the luas up the middle of it and up past the rotunda?

have a better junction between parnell st and o'connell st. the pubs/shops between the moore st shopping centre and o'connell st are not that appealing.

also modernise the shopfronts a bit. that bailey's ad on the liffey side of the corner building is terribly old. same for the 'happy ring house' and a few others. get a faux-50's style theme going, back when o'connell st with cleary's, easons and co. were the big department stores.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pick your ring in comfort in the Happy Ring House.
    Heresy to suggest doing away with their lovely sign.

I agree with you on the Bailey's crap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

IMO taking buses off it altogether would make a massive difference. As it is now, it's more of a transit stop rather than a destination in its own right and it's for this reason it attracts the type of businesses it does such as convenience stores and fast food joints.
    Doctor Quirkey's could be shut down in the morning seeing as its slot machines and electronic roulette and blackjack tables are completely illegal in this country, but I'm sure there's been wink/nod/brown envelope somewhere down the line. I go in there the odd time myself to play pinball and it's one of the most depressing sights in the world to see young mothers sitting at slots with babies on their laps.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

i think its better to have dodgy parts on O'Connell St. It gives people coming from the bridge a heads up to the sh1thole that is Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

flanree wrote: »
    i think its better to have dodgy parts on O'Connell St. It gives people coming from the bridge a heads up to the sh1thole that is Parnell St.

theres nothing wrong with parnell st. apart from the flats opposite the ilac. and the dilapidated building at the west end, which is a 'car wash' and is full of rusted bikes. and the general row of shops between the parnell centre and chapters bookstore.

and the aforemetnioned area between moore st shopping centre and o'connell st.

and the end with fibbers on it.

but other than that...

sigh.

ok. so what are we going to do about parnell st., now that we're on the subject?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i like Parnell Street. it has its own style and doesnt conform to the rest of the bull that it should look like any city.

i think if they opened up Henry Street at night, a few street cafes or something similar it is so depressing walking down it at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I like Parnell Street, and I love O'Connell Street.

Yes it's a shame the north end of O'Connell Street has fallen apart, but there seems to be *some* movement towards sorting it out. My main gripe is the amount of rubbish businesses that are allowed open up. Fast food and 'convenience' stores..

Parnell Street is a lot better than it used to be. The Ilac was cleaned up, there's a lot of restaurants, there's a big cinema, there's the Academy, A Jury's Inn.. it's well lit, one end is like a mini chinatown.

Granted, that whole area still has it's problems.. litter, scumbags, junkies, but so do a lot of other areas of the City. It's got a good way to go, but it's also come a long way.

Advertisement