Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We've got a degree now where are the jobs??

Options
  • 04-08-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hello,

Hope all well. I'm writing an article -for You Magazine - about graduates who aren't able to get a job. Does anyone have any ideas?

Mazza x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭GwayGal

Hello,
    I graduated from NUIG in Aug 2008 with a MBS. It took me eight and a half months to get a job as a retail manager.

For the Article:.
    Maybe you should pick a class who graduated in May of last year and send them a questionnaire.

Or ask the CSO if they have figures on the number of graduates unemployed.

Or conduct a focus group with about for graduates in order to gain insight into what there experiences have been.

Best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mazzapazza

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly, and for all the good ideas. I'd be interested in hearing more about your story if you don't mind. Did you want to be a retail manager after graduating? Or were you originally applying for other kinds of jobs? How are your friends getting on?
    Thanks again for the message.
    Mazza

Did you want to be a retail manager after graduating? Or were you originally applying for other kinds of jobs?
    No way did I want to enter into retail management. I wanted to work as a HR generalist, I still do:). However, after months of searching and very few interviews, I broaden my search into different areas and different countries. In the end, it was not my education that got me my current job, but my work experience. While attending University I worked my way up in Scabbymacs to Mgt level and I also worked as a retail supervisor.

How are your friends getting on?
    I was in a class with 24 other people.
    Three are working in HR ( but two of there contracts are up very soon)
    Two are in call centres
    One is a secretary
    One is doing a PHD ( In the hope that it will be easier to find a job when she is finished)
    One works in a clothes shop
    One works in a Pub
    I have no idea what the others are up to :)

God, it's tough out there, isn't it? You will get the job you want eventually, and at least in the meantime you're getting enough money to get by. How did you do in your degree and leaving cert? Do you think if you'd got better marks it might have been easier or is it just that there is nothing out there?

Yep, it’s very hard to get a job know a days. I am very lucky to have one.

How did you do in your degree and leaving cert?

I got a first in my Masters for the degree I got a 2.1, I think it was around 450 points that I got in the leaving Cert. I would never put leaving Cert points on my CV because it was years ago.

Do you think if you'd got better marks it might have been easier or is it just that there is nothing out there?

I honestly believe that there are no jobs out there.

Any more questions before I log off :)

• Advertisement

Congrats on your masters, that's impressive. Would you consider taking part in the feature? It would involve having your picture taken in Dublin (we'd make you look beautiful, with hair and make up etc, it's usually a fun day) and chatting to me on the phone for half an hour or so. And would any of your friends consider it too?

What paper is it for ?

It's for You magazine, which is the glossy supplement inside Saturday's Irish Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Just came across this, I'm due to graduate from UCC with an MBS shortly and what I read above really makes me think if there is any chance, even now less than half my class has a part time college job never mind a career job!

When will you be publishing the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lynzul86

Hi There,

Just saw your post now. If its any help, I have an LLB from UL and a Masters from TCD, alongside about 30 rejection letters. Can't find job...it sucks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

I just graduated with a Degree in journalism. Maybe you can let me write the article and give me a job?! :o

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement