Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by cyclist on pavement

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

ladowack wrote: »
    You should never ever move out on a narrow road especially on bends this is nonsense! Think of your own safety first! What your advocating is irresponsible.

I've been cycling on an almost daily basis for 9 years on both urban and rural roads. I have lost count how many times cars have overtaken and turned left in front of me or pulled out of/across an intersection causing me to brake hard to avoid them. I have never had an issue with cars not seeing me so your advocacy of staying in to avoid being hit is moot. The only time I have been really worried was after a bus sat on my wheel with oncoming traffic approaching. After checking behind a second time I overcorrected and drifted left and what happened - he passed me out. With myself, a bus and a car all occupying two single lanes you can imagine who had to stop and ride into the ditch :mad:

In my opinion, impatient drivers are the most dangerous - any day I go out when it's raining heavily I know there are going to be big hold-ups and I could guarantee someone will cut me off. I actually feel safer at night than I do at 8-9 am or 5-9 pm on a rainy day. The same holds with the bus incident - the road narrowed for 100 metres, there was a bus stop 300 m ahead and he still went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ladowack wrote: »
    You should never ever move out on a narrow road especially on bends this is nonsense! Think of your own safety first! What your advocating is irresponsible.
    how do you think he got the name concussion? :)

zuroph wrote: »
    how do you think he got the name concussion? :)

Less of that now, there aren't that many trees for me to hit when I'm cycling in town :D:D

And for ladowack, here are the opinions of some more cylists
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055651124

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

I wonder if the OP posted this in the cycling forum how he/she get on. I once asked a question there about why people cycling n groups hold up traffic. I just wanted to know why they cycle 3 or 4 abreast at times...I found why the hard way....... ouch ... it still hurts :D

The OP had a very valid complaint, people cycling on the footpath. It went a bit downhill from there when road positioning came up. BTW, hope the wounds inflicted in the Cycling forum have healed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Meredith

What is the story with cyclists who insist on using the road when there is a perfectly good cycle right beside them? Motorists pay tax which contribute to paying for said cycle lanes, cyclists pay NO tax....start using the lanes cyclists!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Meredith wrote: »
    What is the story with cyclists who insist on using the road when there is a perfectly good cycle right beside them? Motorists pay tax which contribute to paying for said cycle lanes, cyclists pay NO tax....start using the lanes cyclists!!

Err no?

The cycle lanes are more dangerous than the road.

This thread is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Cycle lanes are dangerous in Limerick with all those wide women not only taken over the large wide foot paths but also the cycle lanes too with either their dogs with long leads entering grass areas where children play allowing their dogs doing the business, or using child buggies with kids in them push into the road ahead of them with oncoming traffic, or with their wide waving arms look like they are doing the "Herr Hilter" thing at high speed with both of their arms slicing nearby pedestrians and cyclist alike .

And then you see the good looking ones with revealing clothing and you end up cycling into things such as lamp posts, sign posts, cars, trucks, hedges etc.

Dangerous world here in Limerick and you taught that gang land violence was bad!!:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i can think of a few places where i need to cycle on the path

sarsfield bridge for one the way at the side of the road it slopes down
    cars come so close to the side of the road that you have no choice but to go on the foot path

i really wish they would do something about this.

i just do not feel safe cycling on the road in some places so i cycle or walk my bike on the path (depending whether their are people)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Walking isnt really an option in cleats.

dunworth, don't feel you need to get off the road because the side of the road is unsuitable, just push out as far into the lane as you need to. You're perfectly entitled to do so if the edge is unsafe. Obviously ensure you're visible to other traffic behind you. In general there's a lot of traffic coming across the bridge so you don't need to worry about holding up impatient people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

All pedestrians, cyclists and motorists have a duty to prevent accidents at all times. This supersedes all other rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ninety6days

What is the best course of action if you get hit badly by cyclists.

hit them back?

seriously though, i've got this beaten. Crossing the ped zebra at the parkway roundabout. Stopped to let one of the cars pass, figured the next guy would bother to check as he was at a crawl. walked in front of him as he had stopped. He starts shouting behind me. I pointed out that maybe at a pedestrian crossing he shouldnt run people over. Off duty guard apparently, knows the law. I pissed myself laughing and carried on while he ranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

hit them back?

seriously though, i've got this beaten. Crossing the ped zebra at the parkway roundabout. Stopped to let one of the cars pass, figured the next guy would bother to check as he was at a crawl. walked in front of him as he had stopped. He starts shouting behind me. I pointed out that maybe at a pedestrian crossing he shouldnt run people over. Off duty guard apparently, knows the law. I pissed myself laughing and carried on while he ranted.

Be careful - the Gardaí are knocking down at least one pedestrian a month recently......

- Don't think even the Joyriders have that casualty rate :(

Advertisement