Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escape Nite Club

• 04-08-2009 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I was in revolution at the weekend and I decided to be, on behalf of all us curious heads on boards, a bit nosey and ask Flash what the story was with his new place.

He gave me a tour of the place and it looks fairly impressive - not massive - but could be a really good alternative to other places in town. The Dance floor looks deadly and the ID and Cloakroom system they have is unlike anything I've ever seen in Waterford.

The Club is open on August 13th and will be a 7 nights a week venue. He said the nights will all be different, offering something different for everyone. The Comedy nights will move to Saturday nights also - direct opposition to Forum.

I told him that he should advertise on boards so he'll be able to offer promos and advertise as much as he wanted. He seemed interested in the idea.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I was in revolution at the weekend and I decided to be, on behalf of all us curious heads on boards, a bit nosey and ask Flash what the story was with his new place.

He gave me a tour of the place and it looks fairly impressive - not massive - but could be a really good alternative to other places in town. The Dance floor looks deadly and the ID and Cloakroom system they have is unlike anything I've ever seen in Waterford.

The Club is open on August 13th and will be a 7 nights a week venue. He said the nights will all be different, offering something different for everyone. The Comedy nights will move to Saturday nights also - direct opposition to Forum.

I told him that he should advertise on boards so he'll be able to offer promos and advertise as much as he wanted. He seemed interested in the idea.

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

tonc76 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

I think he means that all IDs will be checked with no favouritism shown...and that the cost of putting your coat in will not exceed the actual value of the coat.

THAT would be unlike anything seen in Waterford :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

gscully wrote: »
    I think he means that all IDs will be checked with no favouritism shown...and that the cost of putting your coat in will not exceed the actual value of the coat.

THAT would be unlike anything seen in Waterford :)

LOL

It's just a fairly high tech system, finger print software instead of having to mind a ticket for your coat. You'll have to see it for yourselves. I'd say the other venues won't be long following suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

LOL

It's just a fairly high tech system, finger print software instead of having to mind a ticket for your coat. You'll have to see it for yourselves. I'd say the other venues won't be long following suit.

Sounds very impressive. Flash must be very confident of its success to go to lengths like that...

To be honest, I don't think it's anything to do with confidence, just doing things properly at the begining and starting as you mean to go on.

What did interest me about the venue was that there's a club upstairs, a bar downstairs that will play older more chilled out music at the weekends, and another bar out the back playing live music etc. Surely something like that is what the town needs. I was never a huge fan of revolution but a support bar and a club upstairs might change that opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

well flash has never failed in any of the bars he,s owned and ran!!!! fair play to him and hope it goes well for him

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

where is escape night club i havent a thing about it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

deise48 wrote: »
    where is escape night club i havent a thing about it

Assume upstairs in Revolution :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

well dome abouttobebanned it's dectective work like that will make you a mod one day :)

It sounds very good, i'd love of Flash could come on here and open up a bit of a dialoge.

I def won't be going down opening night but I will give it a fair go even though i said i wouldn't drink in rev's again.

The harvey's entry fiasco and the opening of this may be ideal in terms of getting annoyed customers in.

Now, all i ask for is very selfishly not to let the florecent sock wearing children of ruby's in and keep drinks under a fiver and i'm laughing.

Seriously though i really admire him with the economy the way it is to make a go of this.

Wish them the best of luck.

ziedth wrote: »
    well dome abouttobebanned it's dectective work like that will make you a mod one day :)

It sounds very good, i'd love of Flash could come on here and open up a bit of a dialoge.

I def won't be going down opening night but I will give it a fair go even though i said i wouldn't drink in rev's again.

The harvey's entry fiasco and the opening of this may be ideal in terms of getting annoyed customers in.

Now, all i ask for is very selfishly not to let the florecent sock wearing children of ruby's in and keep drinks under a fiver and i'm laughing.

Seriously though i really admire him with the economy the way it is to make a go of this.

Wish them the best of luck.

I have to be honest, I really was never a revolution fan but if he does this place properly, it could make a huge difference to the town. I agree with you about the kids...that's why I think we should take it as a good sign that he's opening on August 13th. (leaving cert results out on the 12th)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Lads come on, Your not going to keep the kids out, a new night club is going to take a lot of the young crowd away from Rubys, and most of the crowd that go into Rev are a young crowd anyway:)

Lads come on, Your not going to keep the kids out, a new night club is going to take a lot of the young crowd away from Rubys, and most of the crowd that go into Rev are a young crowd anyway:)

Oh god ya i understand that, what i mean is take a look at the crowd who go's to ruby's and the crowd who go's to say harveys and i'm sure 90% of us on here will prefer the latter to be the regulars in this new gaff.

Now, i understand that its prob the reason why he has the club upstairs and seemingly chill out downstairs so i can live with perving away as they scuttle upstairs to listen to lady gaga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

ziedth wrote: »
    ... so i can live with perving away as they scuttle upstairs to listen to lady gaga.

Ha ha, great minds!!

I'd say you could get anthropologists or maybe the lads from Criminal Minds in to do studys of pub behaviour in Waterford it's that complex!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Was in there on sunday nite myself. Went into see the band on the top floor. Served within 2 moinutes even though the place was jammers. The light (which is alot like UV) was brilliant...wouldn't want to enter the hallway with invisble stains (if ya know what i mean :D)

All in all, great job on the place and a decent smoking area. Looks like flash will be getting my money every weekend....At last a decent place in between ;):)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

LOL

Finger print system eh, this raises many questions regarding data retention under the data protection act.

I'd hope those finger prints are in no way associated with a persons name and that all records are purged each night

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I look forward to seeing this place, I have always been a big fan of Revolution, great bar which is always lively..
    Best of luck to Flash with it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Was in there sunday night, avalon were playing, was brilliant in there, the place was packed! I loved flashes back in the day, was never really a fan of revolution(think its the crowd in there?!) but loved it in there sunday, going back in friday for the jam tarts :P

michellie wrote: »
    Was in there sunday night, avalon were playing, was brilliant in there, the place was packed! I loved flashes back in the day, was never really a fan of revolution(think its the crowd in there?!) but loved it in there sunday, going back in friday for the jam tarts :P

God if i knew avalon where there i would have gone on. Great band. I have a bloody wedding in dublin next week so i not gonna get a chance to give it a look till sat week i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

This is exactly what Waterford needs. Choice under the one roof. Too often I've been dragged to Rubys and had to persevere through terrible nights. At least now I have the option to sneak off to another part of the building for some respite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

AdMMM wrote: »
    This is exactly what Waterford needs. Choice under the one roof. Too often I've been dragged to Rubys and had to persevere through terrible nights. At least now I have the option to sneak off to another part of the building for some respite!

Absolutely.

I don't begrudge the crowd that are normally in Revolution a place to go but now that place can be a set of stairs away from me. :D

I think it's a really great idea and I'm sure if anyone can pull it off, it'll be Flash.

• Advertisement

Got a PM from the man himself...think he'll be talking to sully soon about how he'll go about paying boards to have an ESCAPE account or something like that. It will be cool to be able to bitch to him about stuff and him being able to reply without being called a schill...more pubs should do the same I think.

Anyway apparently the quizzes will return on Monday nights to the basement bar, live music on a friday night, Comedy will move to Escape on a saturday night. The club will be open 7 nights a week - Thursday nights is called flashback...something about a back to the future theme with 80s and 90s music....friday night is DISCO so lots of 70s....Tuesday is called POP ROCKS...lots of rock music...and he didn't say anything yet about the other nights. Definitely doesn't sound like something the 18 year olds will love...

Anyway apparently the quizzes will return on Monday nights to the basement bar, live music on a friday night, Comedy will move to Escape on a saturday night. The club will be open 7 nights a week - Thursday nights is called flashback...something about a back to the future theme with 80s and 90s music....friday night is DISCO so lots of 70s....Tuesday is called POP ROCKS...lots of rock music...and he didn't say anything yet about the other nights. Definitely doesn't sound like something the 18 year olds will love...

Sounds like the absolute business to me. Delighted for the quizzes to be back. They used to be great craic in Flash's about 6 or 7 years ago.

Hopefully those unmentioned nights aren't just a replica of Ruby's. If they're not, then I would expect loads of the Harvey's crowd to go there. I can't see what Harvey's will have over it. And if Flash keeps his prices cheaper than them, they could be in big trouble.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Got a PM from the man himself...think he'll be talking to sully soon about how he'll go about paying boards to have an ESCAPE account or something like that. It will be cool to be able to bitch to him about stuff and him being able to reply without being called a schill...more pubs should do the same I think.

Thats advertising/shilling. Just because Flash stopped posting adverts, doesnt mean others can start on his behalf :D

Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I’m sure the 18 year olds will be covered as well, You have to keep all your customers happy, I was in there Sunday night for a few, and as some other people said, It was jammers and looking around it was a very young crowd in there, Its easy to say customers from Harvey’s will come running up the road, I’m sure they will for the first while as its a brand new venue, But we know what happened in Harvey’s when they decided to screw their customers with a cover charge, I’m sure Flash will have to charge in on certain nights as an extension 7 nights a week will not be cheap, As I thought myself looking around Sunday night, Maybe your 80 and 90's in one area and your chart stuff etc in the club. And a band in another area. The nights do sound good, I just can’t see a 70's night filling a club. I just can’t see an older crowd going in there to make all the nights successful, and during the week when the college is back up, you have lots of students around. I do wish them the best of luck and it’s great to see a new venue in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

Cabaal wrote: »
    Finger print system eh, this raises many questions regarding data retention under the data protection act.

I'd hope those finger prints are in no way associated with a persons name and that all records are purged each night

re - fingerprinting ---
    biometrics is big in the uk with clubs ---
    its a membership system ---
    its the law that 18-23's always carry thier ID
    this way - they volunteer their id, pic & 16 points of their fingerprint as a membership -
    then never carry id to the club again

the benifits of membership will be discounts - privilage nights - comedy vouchers ---

16 points of a fingerprint - cannot be replicated or used elsewhere and is legal to have on file

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

foxylad wrote: »
    re - fingerprinting ---
    this way - they volunteer their id, pic & 16 points of their fingerprint as a membership -

the benifits of membership will be discounts - privilage nights - comedy vouchers ---

16 points of a fingerprint - cannot be replicated or used elsewhere and is legal to have on file
    Could mean that an underager gets a loan of an id that looks like them though, then uses that for membership so never needs an id again

Could mean that an underager gets a loan of an id that looks like them though, then uses that for membership so never needs an id again

I'm going to huess that any doubt and they'll need a second id or won't do it. Good system imo, being 25 and 6 ft 6 i don't really run into the id problems, still i'll feel all james bond if only for a moment.

foxylad wrote: »
    re - fingerprinting ---

Sounds like a good idea to me. No downside as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

This is actually a good point. The rule they're going to be using for the new club is just let in people who look over 18 - so if you're 18 but look 14 or 16, you won't be allowed in.

Your point is valid...but comes with a risk on behalf of the person who's chancing their arm...if they look like their older sister, they will get in and can continue to do so--until - their sister decides to go visit the club OR underage becomes legal and decides to use their own id - in this case both could be barred for life.

The system, which will probably be in harveys and rubys soon means that if you get kicked out one night for hitting a fella...it'll be on your "record". That can only be good for everyone.

I'm going down tonight to check out the jam tarts in the basement bar, I'll try and have another nose about the place.

It will be good though if there's a user on here called "Escape" who is paying boards for the right to advertise and also respond to people's grievances.

One thing I will say though...you can never please everyone. Some people hate chart music and rnb and oldies and cheese....but come on...in a town like waterford, how could you make money playing metal or techno or deep house night all night?

Advertisement