Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escape Nite Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm no mod and sully you can correct me on this put surely what abouttobebanned is saying there about a user with escape as his username addressing our questions is not against the terms of the site provided he doesn't advertise and sticks whatever band is on ot the events thread?

Kinda what stan nagle there kindly does.

Anyway, i gonna go check it out next week. Should be a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Tbh...I think it's about time he paid for some advertising anyway! It would be handy to get some feedback from the horse's mouth about certain things though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm no mod and sully you can correct me on this put surely what abouttobebanned is saying there about a user with escape as his username addressing our questions is not against the terms of the site provided he doesn't advertise and sticks whatever band is on ot the events thread?

Kinda what stan nagle there kindly does.

Anyway, i gonna go check it out next week. Should be a laugh.

To cut a long story short.. advertising/shilling/pimping is against Boards.ie rules. Not something I created or have control over. I have to enforce it, if not - I get booted off the site as a moderator. There are ways and means for a business to have a representative on Boards and talk to members answering queries etc. However, it isn't free and has nothing to do with mods. All that is handled by the Community Mods, who are paid by Boards.ie Ltd. to handle the commercial side of things. I assume most of you have seen the various commercial reps on Boards.ie at this stage - the big red username, they have their own forum and some interact in other forums answering queries etc. related to their business.

Flash is aware of this for sometime now. If he wants to advertise, he knows who to contact. That includes becoming the type of rep you suggest.

In general, any individual or business who uses Boards to advertise their product or service either directly or indirectly will be sitebanned by the admins. This includes people doing the advertising/shilling on behalf of the company. Yes, some people have been given a small amount of room and have not been banned, but this has now changed as new guidelines were drafted in by the Community Admins. There rarely has been a problem; nearly everyone who was told to stop has stopped. Those who didn't were either sitebanned or were told if they cross the line again, their is no coming back.

The election campaign was a different story. Stan is now a regular user like everyone else, contributing away to various discussion but hardly advertising or pushing his agenda to get votes if he runs for election in four years time! :)

Anyway, this discussion should not even be held here - thats what Feedback and PM is for. So, any further queries or comments on this post can be directed to one of the mods over PM or in Feedback. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

lads, i barely know flash and the likes...and for once waterford has had a gap filled, that was sitting dormant for a long, long time....If a place was sh1te, I'd tell ye! I'm not on a bonus or gain for recommending something or somewhere...I can understand where bouttobebanned is coming from...I have to say at last, theres an alternative to wat we're used to. I thought the point of boards was to emphasise and introduce a point?....

I endorse the fact the escape is good, allbeit in its early stages, but ye know wat? we have to give it a chance and not think that when someone posts something, that its propaganda straight away! or free publicity....I love harveys, masons and now it would seem escape....just once we have a good night in these places...thats what should count?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just a general FYI..

Advertising is advertising. You must pay to advertise on this website, like you must pay to advertise in a paper, on the radio, etc. Advertising includes coming on talking about how great the place is, how the food is fantastic, how the owner is sound out and all the staff are, how this is THE PLACE to be etc etc. and all coming from the bloody owner! If it was me saying it, thats different as I gain nothing for doing it but when somebody working for the business comes on and plugs it constantly to promote the business - that is advertising. They are abusing the privilage of being a member of advertising their business free - even if it does benefit the end user, its still advertising.

Thats the difference between the two. A door has always been open for businesses to communicate with the community - its not up to us to make them take it. Plenty of businesses have signed up to the scheme and become reps on Boards. They pay for the privillage and rightly so.

Just an FYI as I may have not made that clear and their seems to be an air of confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sully wrote: »
    Just a general FYI..

Advertising is advertising. You must pay to advertise on this website, like you must pay to advertise in a paper, on the radio, etc. Advertising includes coming on talking about how great the place is, how the food is fantastic, how the owner is sound out and all the staff are, how this is THE PLACE to be etc etc. and all coming from the bloody owner! If it was me saying it, thats different as I gain nothing for doing it but when somebody working for the business comes on and plugs it constantly to promote the business - that is advertising. They are abusing the privilage of being a member of advertising their business free - even if it does benefit the end user, its still advertising.

Thats the difference between the two. A door has always been open for businesses to communicate with the community - its not up to us to make them take it. Plenty of businesses have signed up to the scheme and become reps on Boards. They pay for the privillage and rightly so.

Just an FYI as I may have not made that clear and their seems to be an air of confusion.
    How much does it cost you to have all your little businesses in your signature?

How much does it cost you to have all your little businesses in your signature?

Me? Nothing. Everybody can have that in their signature - good few other businesses with large images in their signatures. Big difference between that and general advertising which you have to pay for (I have done in the past and plan on doing so shortly).

Once again, the rules are not made by mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

The system, which will probably be in harveys and rubys soon means that if you get kicked out one night for hitting a fella...it'll be on your "record". That can only be good for everyone.

So let me get this straight, the new system that he will have is going to be linked to the other clubs that may end up using it like harveys or rubys? or is it just gonna be each place on a separate system?

MacGyver wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, the new system that he will have is going to be linked to the other clubs that may end up using it like harveys or rubys? or is it just gonna be each place on a separate system?

From what I gathered; a seperate system that I am sure other clubs will follow. Linking the two of them is unlikely but most bouncers seem to radio to each other about folk they refuse etc. anyway.

I think its a good idea anyway if used right. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

it,ll be big brother watchin everything then eh they may aswell link it in with the garda pulse system too

• Advertisement

i'm not gonna lie, basic principle aside i think its a great idea to have them all linked. We all see the drunken mess's or scumbags out at the weeend so if one of them decides to fight or get legless imo there should be a blanket ban for them for so long. Of course thinking about it it won't work. Think about it? I don't like sully's modding so i glass him* in reveloitions. A number of bouncers rightly throw my ass out on the street. How are they going to "update" my account? Force me to scan my hand walking out? Looking for my picture through the thousands on the database?

* only to be used as a story and not a threat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

ziedth wrote: »
    i'm not gonna lie, basic principle aside i think its a great idea to have them all linked. We all see the drunken mess's or scumbags out at the weeend so if one of them decides to fight or get legless imo there should be a blanket ban for them for so long. Of course thinking about it it won't work. Think about it? I don't like sully's modding so i glass him* in reveloitions. A number of bouncers rightly throw my ass out on the street. How are they going to "update" my account? Force me to scan my hand walking out? Looking for my picture through the thousands on the database?

* only to be used as a story and not a threat :)
    ya have a very valid point there i might add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

IF flash puts info about the new place on his sig would it be ok? :confused::confused::confused:

IF flash puts info about the new place on his sig would it be ok? :confused::confused::confused:

Yup - text links are fine according to the sigpo folk. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 a.k.a. da dogg

tis great 2 see somewhere new poppin up 2 try and topple the horible regime that is rubys i aint been in that place in 2yrs and hopefully ill never be dragged there again ill defintely go down 2 escape its somewhere new different and definitely welcome....so tell me is it actually open or wats the story im hearing its open then others are sayin its only 1 part....any 1 know 4 sure wats goin on there

tis great 2 see somewhere new poppin up 2 try and topple the horible regime that is rubys i aint been in that place in 2yrs and hopefully ill never be dragged there again ill defintely go down 2 escape its somewhere new different and definitely welcome....so tell me is it actually open or wats the story im hearing its open then others are sayin its only 1 part....any 1 know 4 sure wats goin on there

Can you drop the text speak please? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

From what a mate said its open Thursday night, the night club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'll have to find someone to go in there with tonight so. I have high hopes for this place.

The clean beer lines will be well tested by me, don't you worry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 outsidearth

Escape looks brill -- Flash made excellent work.. put every drop of sweat into it! amazing floor, cool lights, loads of gadgets. I'm impressed and hope it ll go well, or even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

foxylad wrote: »
    re - fingerprinting ---
    biometrics is big in the uk with clubs ---
    its a membership system ---
    its the law that 18-23's always carry thier ID
    this way - they volunteer their id, pic & 16 points of their fingerprint as a membership -
    then never carry id to the club again

the benifits of membership will be discounts - privilage nights - comedy vouchers ---

16 points of a fingerprint - cannot be replicated or used elsewhere and is legal to have on file

We don't use biometrics for this in Ireland and we don't have a national ID card. This is a good thing. There has been huge resistance to mandatory id cards in the UK and rightly so; it is a massive infringement of privacy and accomplishes almost nothing. It also puts more power in the hands of the government for tracking and keeping tabs on ordinary people, power that can be abused by corrupt civil servants and law enforcers.

Needless to say that giving this information to a club is a total joke. You fingerprint information and name FFS. That is not the sort of information that you want getting around. Giving up you biometric information for 'membership' into a club is a total joke and an invasion of privacy. You don't have to do it, I suppose, but it's a negative trend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante, I'm glad somebody sees this is a major concern.

Regarding foxylad's statemenmt that you have to (always) carry ID if your 18-23 in the UK as its the law, first I've heard this can you advise where your getting this info?

As far as I know, you're obliged to carry it (or any other form of official ID) if you wish to enter licensed premises between the ages of 18-21.

I don't really mind giving over my fingerprints. At the very most he can confirm that I'm an alcoholic. There's a few marketing opportunities that such a system enables as well, such as targeted promotions to customers based on their activity in the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Cabaal wrote: »
    merlante, I'm glad somebody sees this is a major concern.

Regarding foxylad's statemenmt that you have to (always) carry ID if your 18-23 in the UK as its the law, first I've heard this can you advise where your getting this info?

It's the law in Ireland. Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003 Section 15.
    34A.—(1) The holder of a licence of any
    licensed premises shall not allow a person
    who is aged at least 18 years but under the
    ge of 21 years to be in the bar of those
    premises between 9.00 p.m. and 10.30 a.m.
    n the following day (12.30 p.m. if the fol-
    wing day is a Sunday) if the person does
    not produce an age document to the holder.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Adyx wrote: »
    It's the law in Ireland. Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003 Section 15.
    34A.—(1) The holder of a licence of any
    licensed premises shall not allow a person
    who is aged at least 18 years but under the
    ge of 21 years to be in the bar of those
    premises between 9.00 p.m. and 10.30 a.m.
    n the following day (12.30 p.m. if the fol-
    wing day is a Sunday) if the person does
    not produce an age document to the holder.

This doesn't state that they MUST carry ID at all times, it merely covers that a pub can look for ID if they believe a customer is under age.

If the customer can't produce it and prove they are over age the pub can refuse service.

My point being it was employed in foxylad's post that this age group must carry ID at all times, this is incorrect both in the UK and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Cabaal wrote: »
    This doesn't state that they MUST carry ID at all times, it merely covers that a pub can look for ID if they believe a customer is under age.

If the customer can't produce it and prove they are over age the pub can refuse service.

My point being it was employed in foxylad's post that this age group must carry ID at all times, this is incorrect both in the UK and Ireland.

you must carry id if you are between 18 and 21 when in you are drinking in a pub or nireclub, if gardai enter the premises and you dont have id (if you aged between 18 and 21) you can be fined and the pub/niteclub will also be fined

Well, for the purposes of the thread, I think it was safe to assume that it was implied that it was within the context of licensed premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Not that I'm trying to de-rail this already de-railed thread :P

But has anyone been to the new club yet? And if so what did ye make of the place? I've yet to be there myself. Hopeing to head in someday next week.

I know it's still early days but first impressions are always nice to know.

i'm going out tonight so i'll give my expert if not abrupt opinion tomorrow.

Was an interesting situation in town last night. When I was walking into Geoffs, I could see Flash peering out of his office window looking towards Rubys, probably looking to see if they were busy or not. Town was quite dead, to say the least.

When Geoffs had closed, there were reps from both Rubys and Escape offering concession cards to get us to go to their clubs. It was obviously something that Rubys had planned well in advance as their cards were well produced and of a laminate material whereas Escape's were just pieces of thick paper, printed on a whim a few minutes earlier.

My first thought is that competition is good for us. The proof being that we're now having concession cards being handed out left, right and centre. However, town was dead last night and I think everyone would have had to have gone to the same place for there to be any kind of atmosphere. Now that there's competition, the pool of punters going out has been split which raises questions of sustainability.

I doubt many people who went to these clubs last night had a good time, as both would have appeared dead. If people aren't having a good time, they might stop going out as much as they currently are which would only serve to hurt the nightlife in Waterford.

Obviously this wouldn't be a problem on Saturday nights, but it's definitely going to be a problem for the clubs that are open 7 nights of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Stats are an interesting thing and I was talking to someone yesterday with a blast of them. Waterford is very ritual and last night, the friday 2 weeks after sproai, was as dead as it was last year...as dead as the friday after St. Patrick's Day.

Ruby's Friday night Flyers have been printed about 3-4 months now so they weren't any major reaction to ESCAPE. Escape is a fantastic looking Club and this weekend is definitely a soft opening to discover where the potential problems are. I think Rubys will continue to hold its own because it's very much a club in every sense of the word (people associate clubs with darkness etc.)

Advertisement