Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Rally

Options
  • 04-08-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised not to have seen a thread about the Stradbally Steam Rally on here.

It was up on numbers from last year from what I've heard around the little town.
    As I was working and wanted to watch the GAA on tv, I didnt manage to get into the event until after 4pm yesterday.
    By that stage most of the engines were backed onto trucks, and there was little or nothing happening.

It appears to be running its course imo.
    There is no atmosphere on the town, no engines around the place.
    If you were a stranger in the town you wouldnt know it was on.

Was anybody at it that enjoyed it?
    I have some pics which I may upload later.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I've never been. Passed through yesterday and got stuck in the traffic, to hungover to get out in the rain.

Would love to see a few pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

A big crowd on Sunday apparently, but not too many there yesterday when I was in. I think the forecast of bad weather put a lot of people off and probably got the engine drivers thinking they should get out early as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

The steam rally in my opinion was a waste of money and time.... It has been a good few years since I was last there but I would not go again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

I was there on Sunday and it's not the same Steam Rally it was 12 or 14 years ago when I was last there. The Wall of Death and the Bunjee lungee thing were pretty impressive.....I don't get out much ;)

A lone engine ventured down the town about 8.30pm Sunday night in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

heathcliff wrote: »
    The steam rally in my opinion was a waste of money and time.... It has been a good few years since I was last there but I would not go again...

It appears to be running it course anyways, but at the same time the large crowd there on Sunday says differently.
    Daithi BC wrote: »
    A big crowd on Sunday apparently, but not too many there yesterday when I was in. I think the forecast of bad weather put a lot of people off and probably got the engine drivers thinking they should get out early as well.

I agree that the forecast of bad weather was a factor in a smallish crowd being there. When it did start to rain on Monday evening, the engines were quickly loaded onto trucks.

Also, the GAA matches on tv probably detracted from the crowd.
    Couple that with the music festival in Portlaoise, and the numerous other events going on last weekend, including another rally in Wexford iirc, the Rally is Stradbally was fighting an uphill battle to get people to it imo.
    Scawgeen wrote: »
    I was there on Sunday and it's not the same Steam Rally it was 12 or 14 years ago when I was last there. The Wall of Death and the Bunjee lungee thing were pretty impressive.....I don't get out much ;)

A lone engine ventured down the town about 8.30pm Sunday night in the rain.

I agree that its not the same as it used to be. There is no atmosphere, and a single engine on the town is a joke. There used to be a parade of engines on both the Sunday and Monday nights up and down the town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement