Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl horse rider body protector

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Hi i've read about these in the local lidl brouchure.. I really don't know how comfortable they are but I didn't notice a BETA LEVEL 3 (purple tag ) on them which is the recommended safety standard in Ireland. They do have some sort of safety labelling but I'm not sure about it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I don't know about the body protector, but I am so getting theat cooler! love the blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'd say it would be fine, else they wouldn't be allowed to sell it.

I'm after the boots.!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

I remember they sold riding hats a few years ago that met European standards but not the Irish and British safety standards - my niece bought one but riding school wouldn't let her wear it for the lessons (no insurance cover)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

marlie2005 wrote: »
    but I didn't notice a BETA LEVEL 3 (purple tag ) on them which is the recommended safety standard in Ireland.

BETA is a private industry body, the British Equestrian Trade Association. If there is no BETA label on the Lidl product - its probably because Lidl dont want to add this cost to the product. A BETA label is not a legal requirement in Ireland but is a useful indication that the protector meets current standards.

http://www.beta-uk.org

The EU and Irish national standards supersede any trade indicators and these are usually listed on an inner label. According to BETA the current safety standard set by the EU is EN 13158:2000. I think this may have been updated to EN13158:2008.

All you need to check is that the protector has the 'CE' mark and EN13158:2008 listed on a label. Some equestrian associations may still list EN 13158:2000 as the minimum standard protector?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately the child did not find this comfortable at all so it's going back.

A local equestrian centre sells level 3 body protectors for €76 to €120 depending on the brand.

This seems expensive - has anyone successfully bought one online for a lower price than this?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

As a riding instructor, I don't recommend buying safety equipment from Lidl. I've found it to be of very poor quality, poorly fitting, and have often had to take off Lidl equipment from some of my students and put on some of our own.

My suggestion is to stick with name brands that have the correct tags to show they meet safety standards.

The chaps, britches, rugs, etc, no problem. Go for it. They tend to wear out quickly, but they are so inexpensive it's not much of a problem.

For safety equipment though, my opinion is, stick to the proven equipment. Your life could depend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I don't think anyone should touch them with a barge pole...
    Yorky wrote: »
    A local equestrian centre sells level 3 body protectors for €76 to €120 depending on the brand.

This seems expensive - has anyone successfully bought one online for a lower price than this?
    That's quite cheap when it comes to body protectors, Yorky. Racesafe are one of the best and most popular brands and they can cost around €180 depending on the size, although for children's sizes they'd be slightly cheaper.

I would NOT recommend buying a body protector online, nor would I buy one from a tack shop which does not have qualified staff to fit them. Find out if they're BETA approved for fitting hats and body protectors, all larger tack shops like TRI and Holmestead are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Personally, I didn't find Holmestead very good when it came to fitting riding hats. They tried to convince my mum to buy a hat that was too big for her.

However, I found Berney's in Kilcullen really good. I bought both my helmet and backprotector there and the guy spent ages fitting my helmet to get one that was just right. Same with my back protector. Instead of selling me a National Hunt one (which I need for ptps), which was a fraction big for me, he recommended a flat one instead. He got me to get into a riding position and checked the fitting so it wasn't too loose or too tight to interfere with me.

It's so important to have right fitting equipment, as something that is incorrectly fitting can actually cause more injuries. My advice would be to buy the best you can afford, ensuring that it adheres to the safety standard required by the Pony Club or AIRC.

Advertisement