Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Year Fixed

Options
  • 04-08-2009 2:55pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My two year fixed mortgage I thought was due to expire this month two years after I signed it.

Turns out it doesn’t expire till November. The bank tired to explain it to me as being the norm that a 2 year fixed doesn’t necessarily mean 2 calendar years.

I won’t be home till the weekend and wont be able to check till then but would this be right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

kearnsr wrote: »
    My two year fixed mortgage I thought was due to expire this month two years after I signed it.

Turns out it doesn’t expire till November. The bank tired to explain it to me as being the norm that a 2 year fixed doesn’t necessarily mean 2 calendar years.

I won’t be home till the weekend and wont be able to check till then but would this be right?

sounds very strange to me. 2 years is 2 years :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

D3PO wrote: »

Thats what I said but cant check until the weekend! I want to go on the the variable rate as soon as possible which I assume is what happens when the two year fixed runs out but my oprions cant be discussed till closer to the time

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would have thought it was two years after drawdown, not necessarily from the agreement date. That said, I drew mine down at the end of Jan '08 but my account says that the fixed rates expires at the end of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

D3PO wrote: »

i would take 2 years as 104 weeks from your first repayment. not from when you drawdown the mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

DYLF wrote: »
    i would take 2 years as 104 weeks from your first repayment. not from when you drawdown the mortgage

yep but Im assuming the OP made the first mortgage payment August 2 years ago ?

if not it goes without saying its 104 weeks or 24 payments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sorry thought it was clear!

It was drawndown in August 07

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭niamh.brady

Hi OP,

Don't know if this is of help to you but i just got a mortgage with ICS (BOI) and they buy their fixed terms in bundles so you don't always get 12/24 months exactly apparently. Our original offer letter was issued on April 30th but fixed term only to be up to end of Feb the following year which is not 12 months exactly - this was regardless of drawdown date. It seems that yours may have worked in reverse.

Advertisement