Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City pharmacies withdraw from community drug schemes

• 04-08-2009 3:18pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With 19 of Waterford’s 20 pharmacists set to opt out of their Community Pharmacy Contractor Agreements with the State come Saturday week, chaos looms for patients across the city and county.

This was the bleak message delivered by Ronan Mulligan of Mulligan’s Pharmacy, whose family business has operated in Waterford since 1957.

“We are desperately trying to find a resolution to this and the only way that this can be achieved is through dialogue and by sitting down around a table with the Minister,” Mr Mulligan told The Munster Express.

“But, unfortunately, she has yet to suggest that she in the slightest bit interested in doing just that, which makes absolutely no sense in my opinion.”

Last month, Minister Mary Harney announced that she would cut fees to pharmacists who issue drugs to patients through a range of State schemes. Such a move would primarily affect Medical Card holders.

Such an action, pharmacists have since claimed, would reduce their income by over a third - the Minister and the HSE have claimed the drop would be 24 per cent.

From Mr Mulligan’s perspective, the crux of the matter is as follows: “We’ve been asked to take a 34 per cent cut, all in one fell swoop. There isn’t a business model that I know of which could cope with such a cut. It’s completely unreasonable.”

Tough times

Mr Mulligan said that he and his colleagues knew only too well how tough times have become across various industrial sectors.

“There has already been a 25 per cent slide [in income] to pharmacists in metropolitan areas, which means it’s been even worse for pharmacists operating in rural areas, who simply cannot get by without the State contract,” he added.

“What I would really like to know is why our particular business has been singled out for such a catastrophic cut which will undoubtedly lead to closures all around the country.”

Mr Mulligan added: “But we also know how tough it’s going to be on patients, many of whom we have dealt with and built up strong relationships with over many years.

“We’re not saying that there shouldn’t be a cut. What we are saying is that cuts should be phased in over, for example, a three-year spell as opposed to hitting us with such a draconian measure all in one go.

“It appears that we have been excluded from the primary health care system.”

The HSE claim that a total of 867 pharmacies will be open for Medical Card and other State Drugs Schemes beyond August 1st.

However, when asked what pharmacies in this area would be among that number, a HSE spokesperson said she was not in a position to comment.

“This is due to the fact that the situation remains very fluid at the moment,” she said, despite the HSE specifically stating the figure of 867 yesterday (Thursday).

Mr Mulligan didn’t spare the rod when referring to the HSE.

“No-one was laid off when it replaced the Health Boards. Everyone working there appears to have been given jobs for life. Their middle management, in my view, is incapable of making a decision. Now that might sound harsh but that’s how I see it.”

Not scaremongering

As for the Minister? “She’s just going to let it go and see how it works out. Well I can save her the time by telling her that unless things are resolved, the situation in Waterford alone is going to be chaotic.

“I’m not a scaremonger - but that something like this is set to be implemented with the prospect of a swine flu epidemic just around the corner, is just mind-blowing. It’s a dreadful time to pick a fight.

“I’d like to know, I know my colleagues would like to know, and I’m pretty sure that patients and the general public in Waterford would like to know what the HSE and the Minister’s contingency plan is. But we remain firmly in the dark.”

The situation has left Ronan Mulligan conflicted. “I am troubled by this from a moral standpoint, which makes the Minister’s position even more difficult to comprehend,” he said.

“We’re not a check-out business, which is the model that she wants, it appears. We’re a community business. We’ve built up long-standing relationships with customers, particularly among the elderly.

“But we’re entitled to a viable contract. We employ 130 people. We’re a good employer in the city. We’ve been in business for over 50 years and you don’t stay in business that long unless people like the service you’re providing.

“Services to our patients are going to be gravely undermined and that cannot be said more loudly and clearly.

“While I have a business to try and maintain, and I’m doing all I can to do just that, patients are going to suffer as well unless there’s a change of mindset within the Department of Health and the HSE.”

Yesterday, the HSE said it greatly appreciates the support of community pharmacists.

According to Patrick Burke, who heads the body which issues payments to pharmacists through the State Drugs Scheme: “nobody should be too far from a pharmacy that will be willing to fill their State Drugs Schemes’ prescription.”

The word on the ground from Ronan Mulligan suggests that the reality in the city may be somewhat different.

Source: http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/most-waterford-pharmacists-set-to-opt-out-of-state-contract/

As you are all probably aware, Boots was the only place in Waterford taking prescriptions. They have, so I am told, stopped taking any more prescriptions as they can not cope with the demand. An article in todays Waterford News and Star suggests incorrectly that there are a good few pharmacies still serving the City for their needs. They got the list from the HSE, which is not correct and has been reported widely not to be correct. There is also a delay in Kilkenny getting prescriptions.

The latest information can be found in this thread;
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61446692

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Have the pharmacies agreed among themselves to all withdraw from the scheme?

Just wondering if some pharmacies will take a chance on issuing prescriptions in the hope that the customer might make other purchases to make up the shortfall...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gscully wrote: »
    Have the pharmacies agreed among themselves to all withdraw from the scheme?

Just wondering if some pharmacies will take a chance on issuing prescriptions in the hope that the customer might make other purchases to make up the shortfall...

Not every pharmacies in Ireland have pulled out, but the majority have. I cant recall exactly, but I would imagine a vote was taken or something similar to pull out of the scheme if you agreed.

Those not part of the HSEs scheme wont issue unless you pay (from what I gather).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well Boots better get their act together in about two weeks, cos I'll be calling.

Can't believe this will still be going in two weeks though, the mayhem will be so large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I was in there this morning, there was a 30 min wait....and they didnt have the medication that was on my prescription. but they gave me something else because i was in a lot of pain:(. The staff are really good and are doing the best with what they have got. Most of the people in there were leaving their prescriptions and calling in later or tomorrow to collect them because they are running out of the medications, deliveries coming all the time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I really think that the IPU has misjudged this entire situation. They were hoping for a public backlash on the Government which has not happened. Unfortunately, while the IPU are at loggerheads with the HSE about securing the best terms for their businesses, it's the patients that are suffering. I really think that it's against public interest for individual business owners like Mr Mulligan to have so much leverage over such a vital service when at the end of the day he only has his own interests at heart.

I think the IPU should be ashamed of themselves and especially ashamed of some of the tactics that the pharmacies have been resorting to today to try and further disrupt the service that Boots are trying to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Hopefully this is over within three weeks or Boots will be seeing me for my monthly prescription for my diabetes

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »
    I really think that the IPU has misjudged this entire situation. They were hoping for a public backlash on the Government which has not happened. Unfortunately, while the IPU are at loggerheads with the HSE about securing the best terms for their businesses, it's the patients that are suffering. I really think that it's against public interest for individual business owners like Mr Mulligan to have so much leverage over such a vital service when at the end of the day he only has his own interests at heart.

I think the IPU should be ashamed of themselves and especially ashamed of some of the tactics that the pharmacies have been resorting to today to try and further disrupt the service that Boots are trying to offer.

Actually, its the HSE that should be ashamed of themselves. Its their fault our medication is so expensive in the first place. They are now trying to screw money out of the pharmacists, which some will say is fair enough when we are in recession, but they have said it will result in job losses and will effect how their business is run. The HSE wont even bloody talk to them! Pharmacists are excellent at their job and provide an excellent service. They are nearly better then doctors and have in many personal examples, contradicted what doctors have advised. As they say - its the one service in the Health Service which bloody works and now Mary Harney and the HSE gang are targetting it.

Fully support them and hope the HSE get their act together and sort this mess out. Its a disgrace it has been let get this far with the HSE having incorrect lists of who is operating and who isnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

They are now trying to screw money out of the pharmacists

They aren't reducing the wages of pharmacists. If you mean pharmacies, then I disagree. Pharmacies have been enjoying very lucrative terms for years and in no way do I think they're being screwed out of money. If anyone, it's the tax payer whose been screwed out of money all these years.
    but they have said it will result in job losses and will effect how their business is run

Wouldn't they say this anyway? ANY cut will affect how their business is run.
    As they say - its the one service in the Health Service which bloody works and now Mary Harney and the HSE gang are targetting it.

Pharmacies, given the seal of approval by themselves?
    Pharmacists are excellent at their job and provide an excellent service.

This, I can't argue with.
    Its a disgrace it has been let get this far with the HSE having incorrect lists of who is operating and who isn't.

Both sides are at fault here. The pharmacies for dilly-dallying and the HSE for the timing of the revised scheme to come in. The day after a bank holiday weekend was terrible on their behalf and was always bound to be a nightmare to coordinate. Hopefully they'll have their affairs in order for tomorrow.

AdMMM wrote: »
    They aren't reducing the wages of pharmacists. If you mean pharmacies, then I disagree. Pharmacies have been enjoying very lucrative terms for years and in no way do I think they're being screwed out of money. If anyone, it's the tax payer whose been screwed out of money all these years.

The cuts are fairly drastic to be fair - with two sets of figures being spouted. Even some in the FF Government agree. I just think that for some, these cuts could actually signal an end or job losses for a service which has always been very good. Anything the HSE seems to handle falls apart!
    Both sides are at fault here. The pharmacies for dilly-dallying and the HSE for the timing of the revised scheme to come in. The day after a bank holiday weekend was terrible on their behalf and was always bound to be a nightmare to coordinate. Hopefully they'll have their affairs in order for tomorrow.

The HSE have refused point blank to talk with the phramcies though. Even though they said they will call of their "strike" as long as they meet, but the Minister refuses point blank.

It has gone to the stage now where Boots has reportedly had to close today. That means no pharmacy is operating in Waterford, at present, for prescriptions. The HSE has failed the people of Waterford, big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think one side is as bad as the other.

Without knowing much about the core issues in this dispute and knowing how the HSE operate I was more in favour of the pharmacists but after last night's Prime Time especially seeing the mark up and hearing the views from the Competition Authority then they've lost any support I would have felt towards them.

I also think Harney is a disgrace for having entered into contracts with the big branded drug companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Are pharmacies in Waterford County still dispensing?

segaBOY wrote: »
    Are pharmacies in Waterford County still dispensing?

In Tramore, I think its just Boots.

Advertisement