Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government income levy

Options
  • 04-08-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

After checking my payslips I am paying an absurdly large amount of income levy. I have contacted the revenue who agree thet I am paying up to 10 times the amount I should be paying and told me to raise the issue with our payrole department in work. The problem is that when I started working there I agreed a salary based on take home pay therefore they pay all my tax whatever it is. I have recieved a rebate of overpaid PAYE but if I question my payrole department I wont see a penny of the overpaid income levy.
    Whats my best option for getting some sort of a rebate from revenue?
    Hope someone can help...(and ill buy you a drink from the money I get back)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭TaxingTimes

If you didn't pay the levy, why should you be able to reclaim it?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

Agree with laycolayco. You have agreed a net wage with your employer, You should let your employer know that they are paying too much tax on your wages. If you are lucky they might let you keep your rebate for bringing it to there attention, but i would not count on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 laycolayco

As the levy is being paid for me it counts as such with the revenue. As with the PAYE being overpaid I am due a rebate why shouldnt I BE ENTITLED TO A REBATE OF MY OTHER TAXES BEING PAID. Over the past 3 months my pps no has paid over 8000 so why shouldnt I be able to reclaim what I in essence have paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

If you agreed a salary based on net pay and your employer is paying your taxes, then you have to agree that any rebates are theirs. Yes, they are deducted from your gross pay but in reality the issue here is that you want to know how you can claim them yourself so you'll have extra pay without them knowing.

You can get a rebate of Income levy after 31st Dec. Your employer should make an adjustment at the end of the year if you have overpaid and you would be entitled to a refund from them if your salary wasn't based on net pay.

The other route is to contact Revenue after 31st Dec and ask about refund - this is supposed to be for people who have changed jobs during the year as they may have overpaid and not able to get refund from employer.

I know its tempting since its a huge refund but your employer might notice it when doing their annual PAYE return as your gross pay will be higher than expected. You won't get a refund until that return is filed as it will have all your pay details. Also, if found out you could lose your job and have to pay back the money as it would probably be seen as stealing from your employer.

Advertisement