Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what was rosemary smith saying?

• 04-08-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Anyone catch her on Derek Mooney show I only caught the end of it but she seemed to be making sense?

I have to say I found it a bit odd to be agreeing with an auld bird on the Derek Mooney show but she was giving out yards about people not using the right lanes on the motorway and people giving out about overtaking.

great to hear they finally get someone who actually knows what they are on about talking on the subject, it could only have been Rosemary Smith ( A very well respected former Rally Driver ) - well done !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

We were brought to a driving school in transition year that she ran, teaching people how to drive under proper supervision and instruction, it was on private lands and roads.

God was it good! Even the young "farmer" lads who drove around the fields learnt stuff.
    The stuff we learnt is still runs around in my head while driving!

So i can only imagine the sense she was talking on the radio even though i didn't hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Anyone catch her on Derek Mooney show I only caught the end of it but she seemed to be making sense?

I have to say I found it a bit odd to be agreeing with an auld bird on the Derek Mooney show but she was giving out yards about people not using the right lanes on the motorway and people giving out about overtaking.

great to hear they finally get someone who actually knows what they are on about talking on the subject, it could only have been Rosemary Smith ( A very well respected former Rally Driver ) - well done !

amazing woman...sorry to have missed that interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I missed most of it myself but I was really taken aback when a woman of her advanced years was calling people hogging the outside lane of motorways idiots - 99% of the shows listeners must been horrified ! then pulled into the left lane :)
    I knew straight away it could only be her.

She seems to have been on advocating teaching driving in school - at last a good idea from a woman who actually has a clue - she should be the head of the RSA imo - not that Gaybo - a man who clearly uses his position to vent his own frustrations as opposed to having any real insight into the subject.

She seems to have been on advocating teaching driving in school - at last a good idea from a woman who actually has a clue - she should be the head of the RSA imo - not that Gaybo - a man who clearly uses his position to vent his own frustrations as opposed to having any real insight into the subject.

Would love to see her in a position of useful advocacy but that almost never happens in this country...much better Gaybo; the ego man who has admitted drunk driving & stopped when a chauffeur was provided, maintains the anti-motorist sentiment the government are after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rosemary Smith - legend. I remember when she did a shootout for the Irish land speed record (on the Carrigaline "straight"), she lost to bike racer Derek Keany. 178mph v 204mph.

RTE should have the show online later today or tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I missed most of it myself but I was really taken aback when a woman of her advanced years was calling people hogging the outside lane of motorways idiots - 99% of the shows listeners must been horrified ! then pulled into the left lane :).

The problem is that on 3 lane motorways that only puts them into the middle lane where they seem to think they belong anyway.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

The woman makes a lot of sense :cool:

Tis online now...
    http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/
    click 'Latest Show'

Just listening...the voice of reason for Irish Motoring has landed!

What a sanctimonious prick (Mooney that is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

mike65 wrote: »
    Rosemary Smith - legend. I remember when she did a shootout for the Irish land speed record (on the Carrigaline "straight"), she lost to bike racer Derek Keany. 178mph v 204mph..
    Her web site says she's 'Irish Land Speed Record Holder'.

• Advertisement

On four wheels....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

she should be the head of the RSA imo - not that Gaybo - a man who clearly uses his position to vent his own frustrations as opposed to having any real insight into the subject.
    If she was we might get out of the "speed kills" fallacy of pointing out problems without mentioning any solutions.

Good woman Rosemary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/3358d91.jpg[/IMG] Circuit of Ireland 1969

htb9zr.jpg Rosemary at the Wheel.

I was shocked at the number of people who were interviewed about roundabouts, most clearly shouldn't be on the roads;

...from the man who speeds on & off, to the woman who thinks they're a danger due to the likelyhood of being hit by over-eagar drivers from her right, to the woman who doesn't realise she's on a roundabout until she has physically driven over something!

If you can't drive DON'T!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

She has some weird interpretations of the Road rules. I don't agree with her on undertaking and double indicating on roundabouts to go straight on. But she is pretty much spot on on the rest of it.

DM is an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Came across this thread after searching for a thread to post this. Might give it a listen if I get a chance.

Anyway, I have just sent an e-mail to the RSA about the standard of motorway driving. I have urged them to start some sort of campaign about motorway driving. Now being the realistic young man that I am, I realise that it will be half-read by whoever gets it and then deleted, but I felt the need to send it anyway as some of the crap I see day in day out is downright dangerous. Here it is:
    FAO: Marketing/Advertising

Dear sir/madam,

I would just like to recommend to the RSA to publish a leaflet/pamphlet on motorway driving. The amount of ridiculous driving I have seen on Irish motorways is unbelievable. I am a 22 year old male and have taken it upon myself to learn, properly, how to drive on a motorway. Unfortunatley a lot of people have to be spoon-fed information for it to even have a slight effect.

I would like to highlight two particular areas of driving that a lot of people need further instruction on. I believe this lack of ability/knowledge is due to motorway driving not being taught or required for our driving test (but thats another day's argument.)

1: Merging - I have seen countless drivers try to merge at speeds much much lower than the traffic on the road. This is highly dangerous and causes traffic to slow down and back up. When this happens on free-flowing rods such as motorways, it only takes one person to not be fully concentrating to cause a serious accident.

2: Driving Lanes - Lanes 1,2,3 are rarely used correctly by Irish drivers. A motorway will (ideally) have the slowest moving traffic in the left-most lane (lane 1) (with the exception of traffic approaching an exit) with cars overtaking on the right (lane 2), then moving back in when manoeuvres are complete. Subsequent overtaking is to be done in lanes to the right (lane 3...). Logic would dictate, then, that most traffic be in lane 1, followed by lanes 2 and 3 in terms of volume. Very often it is the complete reverse of this that is evident.

Now, I know money is tight in every department at the moment, but I really think that a leaflet or even a poster ad campaign, or a series of TV ads that explain these principles simply and easily would be of great benefit to the Irish motorist. I seem to recall a series of ads instructing people how to turn right in the not too distant past. Something similar to this would be ideal. I think this is especially important with the construction and upgrading of motorways continuing all over the country, and these roads would be much safer with informed drivers using them.

Sincerely,

Now I didn't take too long writing it so I know its not perfect, but maybe a bit of pressure by people (in this forum ;)) might make them realise the need for driver training/education in regard to motorways. Maybe I missed an earlier campaign, but apparently everyone it was aimed at did too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Great letter there!
    I'm always too angry to write a coherent and reasonable letter like that though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..good letter. Would be a better spend than on that outrageous He Drives She Dies horse****.

....speaking of which, I've lodged a complaint with ASAI over that ad, btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement