Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bmw 320d-v-mercedes 200cdi coupe-v-lexus is 220

• 04-08-2009 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭

hi all finally looks like im shifting my car and am ready to buy either a bmw 320d se a mercedes 200cdi coupe(must be the only one to like them)and a lexus is 220.
    all cars will be diesel and se models and will be either 2006 or 2007.
    i will be the first to admit my knowledge of cars is limited to say the least so was wondering what yee all think looking to buy in the next couple of weeks have about €18000 so will probably have to go to the uk.
    any advice is greatly appreciated(apart from why do you need to spend money in these times:rolleyes:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Unless you really like it, I'd drop the Merc coupe from that list. It's very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

maybe another one to consider would be the honda accord a very reliable car

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

out of those 3 I'd drop the merc straight off. the is220 would be ruled out for me straight away, as it can't be spec'd with folding rear seats. Really limits it's practicality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

copacetic wrote: »
    out of those 3 I'd drop the merc straight off. the is220 would be ruled out for me straight away, as it can't be spec'd with folding rear seats. Really limits it's practicality.
    folding rear seats would not be an issue, looks like the merc is a non runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭sk8board

I like the 220d.

did I read somewhere that the Sport spec (which is defo the one you want) has a different/better gearing ratio than the entry level?

edit: here it is:
    http://www.testdriven.co.uk/lexus-is250-and-is220d-se-l/

To compound the issue, the 220d has been saddled with the most absurd gear ratios ever devised by man. Attempting a cruise in sixth gear at 70mph will have the engine barely ticking over at 1,500rpm; in fact, the engine is revving so low at legal motorway speeds as to be labouring quite audibly, and anything other than a completely flat motorway will require a change back down into fifth. Forget about using that famed turbo-diesel overtaking surge, as you’ll have to change down one or even two gears to achieve anything other than glacial acceleration. And don’t think the problem affects just the top end of the gearbox, either, as even fourth gear is unusable at urban speeds; a 40mph limit will see you stuck in third gear for quite some time.

We’ve yet to drive the Sport model, due in the Spring, which will feature a revised final drive ratio. We hope that addresses the issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement