Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennels - aaaggghhhhh!

• 04-08-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭

Ok, so we're going to Florida for two weeks at the end of the month. Our ENTIRE family is going, so for the first time ever, our 3 Boxers are going to have to be kenneled - my sister usually stays in our house with them when we're away, but obviously she (and the other 17 members of my extended family) is going to be on the holiday with us this time.

I'm already absolutely dreading the thought of leaving them. What I'd really like is to hear recommendations for kennels in Dublin that people have used before and been happy with. The only kennel I've had a direct recommendation for is €20 per dog per day. Obviously I'm happy to pay for quality and the knowledge that my dogs are being well looked after, but €60 per day for 15 days just isn't an option for me.

Has anyone got a kennel they can sing the praises of? Particularly one that is good for bigger dogs!

Thanks a mill in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Id recommend

Hollygrove Boarding Kennels
    Lyons Road, Newcastle,

I think it was €350 for 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Depending on how far you're willing to travel, I recommend Fiona Gammell of the K9 Club in Wicklow, near Rathdrum. Nice big farm, large runs, and off lead walks through the fields. We recently left our GSD with her for 10 days for the first time and there wasn't a bother on the dog.

It was €18 a night for us, but sure with 3 dogs for 15 nights maybe you can make a deal with her, as she seems quite reasonable. Only thing is as it's a very busy place the drop off and pick up times are pretty restrictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Id highly recommend Rivendell Kennels in Meath. http://www.rivendellkennels.com

Its ten euro per night per dog and they have large kennels. they have one that was specifically built to accomodate a huge Great Dane so it would be plenty big enough for boxers! They're really nice people who run it and the dogs get walked everyday and aren't just left sitting in a kennel which I personally find reassuring!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hdal

I'd highly recommend YUPPIE PUPPIE in Bray. Barbara took very good care of my terrier for 10 days, at €21 a day. Phone number is 087 2606095, I've been telling everyone about it! :) It's completely cage-free which is very important in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Rogan

I recommend Collette O'Toole in Wicklow - she will even collect and drop your dogs from and back to the Dublin area - she is brilliant - she has great lands where the dogs are well excercised all day and she has such a way with them. Cannot recommend her enough!!

www.mysugarpups.com

She is hugely recommended also by Peter Wedderburn the vet of tv fame - see http://petethevet.blogspot.com/2009/04/life-of-animal-lover.html

Our last dog had heart problems - we were really worried about leaving him, but as Collette has veterinary experience we were comfortable leaving with her - lo and behold he had a heart attack while he was with her - she knew what to give him to stop further damage (some drug I don't know what) and immediately drove him up to our vet in Dublin where he was treated and kept in for 3 days - if she hadn't have known what to do - he would have definatley died that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Not that I want to sideline this thread ... remember to get your dogs vaccinated for kennel-cough. It is compulsory in most kennels and they have to be vaccinated a few days (1 week?) before they go.
    ValerieR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

We have our puppy booked into Happyhounds in Meath. We are in north Dublin, it took us approx 35 mins to get there when we went to visit. We visited on a recommendation from friends. And were delighted when we saw the facilities.
    Its 13 euro a night for medium dogs, 14 euro a night for large dogs.

Its the first time were leaving our dog and I have to admit I am nervous about leaving him. But I have high hopes for the above kennels so heres hoping im right.
    It is a hard decesion to make without a doubt!!

Were off to Florida too! See ya there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

I have just boarded my dog and cat in a place in Wicklow...... http://www.barndarrigkennels.com/
    I could not have been happier, it is really well designed and the lady who owns it is great. I felt completely at ease leaving them there. The rates are very good, it cost me €120 (special offer for July) for the week, for the 2 of them. I'd have no hesitation recommending these kennels. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

You'd imagine that you'd surely get a reduction for 3 dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Seems to be dearer in Dublin than down the country but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Tripp wrote: »
    Id recommend

Hollygrove Boarding Kennels
    Lyons Road, Newcastle,

I think it was €350 for 3 weeks

My dogs stay there every time we go away.Theyre absolutely brilliant.
    Before I used them I used Brentwood Boarding Kennels in Meath who were excellent aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

ValerieR wrote: »
    Not that I want to sideline this thread ... remember to get your dogs vaccinated for kennel-cough. It is compulsory in most kennels and they have to be vaccinated a few days (1 week?) before they go.
    ValerieR

We were advised by the vet and the kennels to have them vaccinated 2 weeks before they go into kennels.
    It's given by spraying up the dogs nose. One dog didn't flinch, other snorted once, but its over very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rachel 999

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Ok, so we're going to Florida for two weeks at the end of the month. Our ENTIRE family is going, so for the first time ever, our 3 Boxers are going to have to be kenneled - my sister usually stays in our house with them when we're away, but obviously she (and the other 17 members of my extended family) is going to be on the holiday with us this time.

I'm already absolutely dreading the thought of leaving them. What I'd really like is to hear recommendations for kennels in Dublin that people have used before and been happy with. The only kennel I've had a direct recommendation for is €20 per dog per day. Obviously I'm happy to pay for quality and the knowledge that my dogs are being well looked after, but €60 per day for 15 days just isn't an option for me.

Has anyone got a kennel they can sing the praises of? Particularly one that is good for bigger dogs!

Thanks a mill in advance.
    CHECK OUT IBKCA.COM , ALSO WWW.BELLEWSTOWNKENNELS.COM HAVE EXCELLENT REPUTATION FOR GOOD CARE:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I use Best Kennels in Garristown, run by Declan Dolan. I have used them twice for both my cat and dog and will be using them again next month. I think they are excellent, my dog loves going there! I can't think off the top of my head how much it costs per day. Here is their site which shows the kennels etc www.bestkennels.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Interesting. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

Glebe House Kennels just outside Kildare Town, off the old Monasterevin Road is, I think, the best you will find. I am very particular and like you, was totally pertified the first time I left our lads - 2 sheps. We have used 2 of the above mentioned places in the past and they were fine but not a patch on Doreen.
    She is totally commited to the dogs in her care and it shows.
    A definite 10/10.

045 521376
    087 2608561

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Pallas Athena

bnagrrl wrote: »
    I use Best Kennels in Garristown, run by Declan Dolan. I have used them twice for both my cat and dog and will be using them again next month. I think they are excellent, my dog loves going there! I can't think off the top of my head how much it costs per day. Here is their site which shows the kennels etc www.bestkennels.ie

I did not warm up to Declan Dolan one bit. He may be a great trainer but has no people's skills whatsoever and he is very laxy-daisy when it comes to replying to e-mails (all to do with my dog's vaccinations and so on). He was very short with me on the day I brought my dog in. When my husband and I returned two days later, we heard our dog bark while we were still in the car. It was a distressed bark and we recognised it right away, it was definitely our dog. The sound came from a white van parked in the yard. My husband went over to the van trying to suss out was it our dog inside it. At this point Declan Dolan came out of the reception area and - with his dry, smarmy attitude - asked my husband "can I help you there" to which my husband simply replied "that's my dog in there". Mr. Dolan took a quick glance around and said in a hushed tone "we'll discuss it inside" and walked back into the reception area. Once there we were told that "the guard dogs were out and, since it was close to collection time, he had put our dog in the van to avoid any fights". I had to refrain my husband from punching him. We will NOT be going back, that's for sure. How do we know the dog was only put in the van at 5.00pm (collection times are strictly between 5.00pm-5.30pm)? :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

"Home from Home kennels" in wexford are brilliant. Dogs sleep in the family home, loads of open space to run around - no pens etc. Helen will collect dogs in Dublin. If you google Home from Home Kennels Wexford you'll find their website. My dogs have stayed there a couple of times and have settled very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Locked. Please don't dig up zombie threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement