Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery, STS-128 (Yep, it's that time again)

Options
  • 04-08-2009 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

This is perhaps a little early to be talking about this; or maybe it only seems early because of STS-127's delays. Anyway, Discovery will [not ... ... :P] be launching at 0136 EDT on Tuesday August 25th. That's 0636 IST (Irish Summer Time). So, all you early birds should be able to watch it. I get up at 6:30 so I'm fine.

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Unless it's delayed until after the summer holidays, I'll probably get up to watch it and go back to sleep. Hopefully the clouds will be clear and the ISS will be in the correct orbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What would you need to see this?

Khannie wrote: »
    What would you need to see this?
    Patience and luck (as regards cloud cover). It's easily visible for the naked eye. If you missed it last time, this could be your chance. Hopefully the ISS will be in the correct orbit (I think it will) so that the shuttle will have to pass over Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Shuttle Discovery Pre-Flight Activities, Rarely Seen by the General Public

Some great photos here.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/03/rarely-seen-shuttle-activities.html

• Advertisement

Holy molee... ...Those are impressive pictures. I honestly had no idea that the main fuel tank was that big.

irlpic wrote: »
    Shuttle Discovery Pre-Flight Activities, Rarely Seen by the General Public

Some great photos here.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/03/rarely-seen-shuttle-activities.html
    Brilliant stuff, thanks very much.

I'll probably repeat this loads on the day (actually, dunno if much people will be watching so early in the morning) but go on www.heavens-above.org and watch the ISS pass before the shuttle passes that day. The shuttle passes in pretty much the exact same direction. You'll then be able to know the shuttles path quickly and easily. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Discovery on the way from the VAB to 39a with a meteorite streaking overhead:
    128rollout1full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

My new Wallpaper.:)

irlpic wrote: »
    My new Wallpaper.:)
    Unbelievably creepy. I was just about to type the same thing. Great pic, thanks!

Before I had Atlantis sitting on the launch pad with a sunset...and before that the earth from orbit. Was gonna try a new non-space orientated one...but what's more beautiful tbh.

• Advertisement

It's now my wallpaper too.:P

I can't wait for this launch: I've my alarm set already.

lol, I've my alarm set for that date too. I'll be in England then though (Im emigrating Sunday week).

lord lucan, that image looks too good to be true! Are you sure that you're not just pulling our legs here? (not literally, of course).

lol. No,it's a real pic,pulled it from here:http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts128/090804rollout/

I'm using this as my wallpaper right now:
    STS-121-DiscoveryEnhanced.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I am hoping for a delay because I am on holidays that week in Turkey. Will have laptop with me but may not get internet access at 08:30 in Turkey:(

Kevster wrote: »
    Holy molee... ...Those are impressive pictures. I honestly had no idea that the main fuel tank was that big.

The shuttle itself is whopping also. They have one in the Smithsonian in Washington. I took a pic while I was there (attached).

Indeed - again - bigger than I had imagined. What's even more worrying is that when I opened up that image, my brain said to me: 'God bless America...'. I think that this is a CLEAR sign that we are all becoming Americanised (or as they'd spell it: 'Americanized')
    :rolleyes:

Indeed - again - bigger than I had imagined. What's even more worrying is that when I opened up that image, my brain said to me: 'God bless America...'. I think that this is a CLEAR sign that we are all becoming Americanised (or as they'd spell it: 'Americanized')
    :rolleyes:
    And why not appreciate America for their achievements in spaceflights? They've funded most of the ISS, and are the biggest spaceflight pioneers since the fall of the Soviet Union. God bless America, fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lord lucan that photo struck me too, brilliant wallpaper :)

jumpguy wrote: »
    And why not appreciate America for their achievements in spaceflights? They've funded most of the ISS, and are the biggest spaceflight pioneers since the fall of the Soviet Union. God bless America, fair enough.
    True, I suppose. I do admire them in many ways. Without a former Nazi (Werner von Braun), however, they might not have gone to the Moon. There is no true American (except if you consider the indians), and so we must realise that America has a bit of every nation in it. It must be the most diverse nation on Earth, regarding different nationalities?

• Advertisement

Weird............
    It must be the most diverse nation on Earth, regarding different nationalities?

I was just thinking that exact thought yesterday. That's pretty messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

True, I suppose. I do admire them in many ways. Without a former Nazi (Werner von Braun), however, they might not have gone to the Moon. There is no true American (except if you consider the indians), and so we must realise that America has a bit of every nation in it. It must be the most diverse nation on Earth, regarding different nationalities?

Tis the proverbial 'Melting Pot', with a dash of legal arms and hey presto, America.

Song from Team America, "America F**k yeah, comin to save the mothafu**in day Yeah!" :D

Thanks for the Discovery launch pic. Its Awesome, . .ahem, I mean Deadly! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Here is a great shot of Discovery during roll out to the launch pad last Tuesday
    20094403.jpg

Launch date is still touch and go. New problem with some foam on the tank that may require the stack to be rolled back to the assembly building which would delay launch until October. Will know more next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

:(

...more problem with foam? Do you think they're using Tesco own-brand foam or something?

... ...:rolleyes:

Maybe it's NASAs covert way of extending the STS programme!:P

Seriously i suppose they're just unwilling to take any chances with so little time left in the STS programme,which is to be commended given some of they're **** ups before ie. Challenger & Columbia.

They've been taking plugs from the foam to test it and initialy cleared it,something else must have thrown up a red flag!

Do you mean that you think they're being extra careful for each mission? That would makr sense, because an accidnt now would spell the end for th Space Shuttle Programme, don't you think?

Do you mean that you think they're being extra careful for each mission? That would makr sense, because an accidnt now would spell the end for th Space Shuttle Programme, don't you think?

Any disaster now would end the STS programme,even a serious incident would drain resources and most likely end the programme. NASA are right to be cautious,delays are only an inconvenience.

NASA has made spaceflight look relatively easy and almost routine,most people think it's like catching a bus to space!! The level of risk,particularly with the aging Orbiters,is very high. It's easy to forget there's real people on board who risk their lives with every flight. Hopefully NASA keep a cautious approach to the last few flights and see the Orbiters finish their life with some dignity left.

In my opinion, NASA are being too tentative about it all. There's too much protocol (regarding safety), and they'll never take the risks like they did back in the 60s. They've been bitten twice (Columbia and Challenger), and now they're scared abuot messing it up again.

The Chinese are going to storm ahead in the space 'race', I believe. They seem to have the will-power that the US had all those years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

They seem to over state the safety side of things a bit, but I guess thats best and comes from what they've learned from the mistakes that were made in the past. Its so open to the public with whats going on that I'd say its all to a high standard

Don't really see any major delays in the last few missions, seem to on top of things and chances of some new problem interfering have to be low. Think with tight enough budgets that if things go as planned the shuttle will finish up as expected and hopefully the next manned space vehicle can be focused on.

Kind of amazing to think of how things were with the first space shuttle flight, flying a manned mission as the first test flight

Advertisement