Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery, STS-128 (Yep, it's that time again)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Beeker wrote: »
    Try the Shuttle Launch Expierence at Kennedy Space Center, great fun:)

Will do. It wasn't around last time i was there in '05,looks deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Hairy moments for the crew,this video shows most of the last second aborts including when the main engines had already ignited.there were. six of them in total,interesting to see how quickly the escape tower swings into action.(sorry video would not embed)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aoGXb25lsU

It's always amazing to watch the orbiter swing like a pendulum on the pad!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ynotdu do watch f1 for the crashes?

And the GAA for the punch-ups!:pac:

• Advertisement

Ah another helpful one line sarky remark from lostexpectation!

Why dont you stick to Politics.ie were you are a 'Senior' member?(member of the front bench?)

It is your natural home along with all the other sarcastic members it has.

lord lucan wrote: »
    And the GAA for the punch-ups!:pac:

LL I am going to watch the maiden flight of the Japanese H11TV due for launch at 6.01
    Ya never know it might just explode,WHOOPEE!

unfortunatly the shuttle has just fired it,s engines to avoid a piece of space debris,Shucks they may have collided:(:(;);)

ynotdu wrote: »
    LL I am going to watch the maiden flight of the Japanese H11TV due for launch at 6.01
    Ya never know it might just explode,WHOOPEE!

unfortunatly the shuttle has just fired it,s engines to avoid a piece of space debris,Shucks they may have collided:(:(;);)

Seeing the loss of 2 Orbiters is more than enough tragedy for this man.:cool:

Seeing the loss of 2 Orbiters is more than enough tragedy for this man.:cool:
    Sssshhhhh dont tell lost that he,ll be disapointed!:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

It's always amazing to watch the orbiter swing like a pendulum on the pad!:)
    Known as the twang!

• Advertisement

Weather looks like it doesn't want to play ball tonight. Looking like it could be a go-around and try again tomorrow.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

What's the update guys? I don't have much time and am relying on you to keep me informed. It's 11PM and I haven't eaten dinner yet. THis living on your own lark is feckin annoying.

First landing delayed,having another go at 01.40 provided weather improves.

Kevster wrote: »
    What's the update guys? I don't have much time and am relying on you to keep me informed. It's 11PM and I haven't eaten dinner yet. THis living on your own lark is feckin annoying.

Takeaway is your only man!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads I sense excitement in this thread, is there something afoot tonight? Clear enough sky here I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

First landing delayed,having another go at 01.40 provided weather improves.
    Tonight? Cool, I should still be up. There's a chipper down the road from me called Frier Tucks (Yes, I know you're jealous), but I made my dinner earlier and will eat now. Thaks for the time update dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

looks like a delay, weather hasnt improved much

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Weather for the 2nd attempt doesn't look to great,think i'll call it a night as it's looking like tomorrow night now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

if its tomorrow, prob wont be kennedy, will prob be edwards, due to weather being bad in kennedy.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I am just catching up on this.
    I'll watch for ISS pass tonight (21:22) -2.6 mag.

What's the latest on the shuttle re-entry schedule ?
    Will I see an orbit pass of STS-128 around the same time or will they have already made their descent to Kennedy (or Edwards, by the time the sky is dark here?)

--Ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

ifconfig wrote: »
    I am just catching up on this.
    I'll watch for ISS pass tonight (21:22) -2.6 mag.

What's the latest on the shuttle re-entry schedule ?
    Will I see an orbit pass of STS-128 around the same time or will they have already made their descent to Kennedy (or Edwards, by the time the sky is dark here?)

--Ian

would say chances are with the shuttle landing maybe about 2100, depending on how things go, it won't be visible

Commander Rick Sturckow and his crew were awakened at 9:32 a.m. EDT today with the song “Big Boy Toys” by Aaron Tippin, and they should be into the deorbit preparation timeline by 12:49 p.m.

The deorbit burn for the first Kennedy Space Center, Florida landing opportunity is at 4:41 p.m., with landing at 5:48 p.m. The second Florida landing window begins with a deorbit burn at 5:17 p.m., and ends with a landing at 7:23 p.m.

The first landing opportunity for Edwards Air Force Base, California has a deorbit burn time of 7:47 p.m., with landing at 8:53 p.m. The second opportunity would start with a deorbit burn at 9:23 p.m., and end with a landing at 10:28 p.m.
    above copied from the nasa homepage,they have four opportunitie to land tonight,but i would guess if the KSC landings are impossible due to weather,they will give it one more day as they have another four chances tomorrow.
    if the weather looks bad again for tomorrow at KSC they may well decide to bring it down to Edwards tonight.

the times to listen to are at least twenty minutes before the de-orbit times quoted above,it is better to listen then as you can go to bed knowing there wont be a landing.
    dont forget to add five hours to the times above for Ireland:)

It might even go to Saturday as they have enough onboard to wait for Sundays four chances,but they never do wait for the last day.

The sighting times i cannot comment on as i am useless at that:)

To update.
    NASA has cancelled any attempt to land at KSC tonight.

They have decided on an Edwards air force base landing if there's a go.

the deorbit burn is timed for 00.47 with the Landing being at 01.57.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

can someone tell me which direction to look at for the next iss pass at 21.20+ please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

can someone tell me which direction to look at for the next iss pass at 21.20+ please?

refusetolose ISS Always comes from the west !!!

refusetolose, here is another thread about the same topic http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62055486#post62055486

thanks lads

refusetolose just saw the SS pass over cork here , the ISS is due at 9,20pm coming from the west again , hope you get to see it , it wil climb to 52 degreesw so its easily visible , good luck to anyone esle trying to see her :D

great view of it in cork city

• Advertisement

That ISS pass was one of the brightest iv seen in ages , excellent pass :pac:

Hope you got to see it refusetolose

Stargate

Advertisement