Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery, STS-128 (Yep, it's that time again)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Kevster wrote: »
    Why's that? - The accent of the people here!?

I just saw the landing... ...it seemed to go without a hitch. Imagine the relief when that front wheel touches down. I mean, I feel relieved when the front feckin wheel of the Airbus toucvhes down on the tarmac at Dublin or Manchester, but these guys are going literally out of this world, not hopping between the UK and Ireland!

So very true , these people are exceptional in every sense of the word , must be such a thrill for them to be back home too , no doubt they miss their families etc , dangerous stuff ....space !! SO WELCOME HOME STS-128 , very well done !! Great mission and home safe :)

Nice to see you still here Kevster even tho your over there , hope you`ve settled in ok !! Do you live in a dark site or are you in York itself ?

Regards
    Stargate

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

A great landing. Sorry I could not interact on the Forum, I had to work late but did get to watch it on NASA TV in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Stayed up to watch the landing. A lot of people in LA reporting they heard the 2 sonic booms as the shuttle came into land. It must have been so cool to see!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Nightwish wrote: »
    Stayed up to watch the landing. A lot of people in LA reporting they heard the 2 sonic booms as the shuttle came into land. It must have been so cool to see!
    Yeah would love to catch a landing, not as exciting as a launch but worth seeing I,m sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Stargate wrote: »
    So very true , these people are exceptional in every sense of the word , must be such a thrill for them to be back home too , no doubt they miss their families etc , dangerous stuff ....space !! SO WELCOME HOME STS-128 , very well done !! Great mission and home safe :)

Nice to see you still here Kevster even tho your over there , hope you`ve settled in ok !! Do you live in a dark site or are you in York itself ?

Regards
    Stargate
    Im in a pretty nice area, and can see York Minster from my window! Everything is just cheaper over here and it's easier to get by. The Pennine mountains down the backbone of England block most of the nasty rain clouds coming over from Ireland too!; so the weather here is generally good.

When is the next mission?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I think Atlantis is going up sometime in early November. Nicole Stott will be returning to Earth on the return journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Im in a pretty nice area, and can see York Minster from my window! Everything is just cheaper over here and it's easier to get by. The Pennine mountains down the backbone of England block most of the nasty rain clouds coming over from Ireland too!; so the weather here is generally good.

When is the next mission?

Glad its working out for ya Kevster:)

November the 12th is the target date but NASA managers have said that they are also looking at Nov 9th and at the moment say it is feasible.

Lord Lucan wherever he,s lurking:) is hoping to be at the Launch.

Dont forget to start the STS129 thread!it,s your job!:)

ynotdu wrote: »
    Glad its working out for ya Kevster:)

November the 12th is the target date but NASA managers have said that they are also looking at Nov 9th and at the moment say it is feasible.

Lord Lucan wherever he,s lurking:) is hoping to be at the Launch.

Dont forget to start the STS129 thread!it,s your job!:)
    November it is for Atlantis, this is due to be the second last flight for Atlantis:(
    750pxsts129crewphoto.jpg

Well, not if they get that extra money to extend the STS programme. I doubt that they'll get it though. Space exploration just isn't the 'in' thing today. I can't imagine the US public being too happy about it either. To be honest, if I was unemployed I'd have to question an extra few buillion for the space programme too... ...unfortunately.

China and India should keep us on our toes though over the next few decades.

All good things must come to an end Beeker eh:(

be interesting to see what the full report on the future of NASA will be,due to be made public by sept 30th.

dont know if you saw the launch of the Japanese H11TV,its a really neat resupply vehicle for the iss,even so it can only carry 4 10ths of a resupply load a shuttle can(puts it in perspective:))

it will take the HTV,s,ATV,s,and progress just to equal what a shuttle could manage.

the HTV will be docked by the Astronauts unlike the ATV or progress,great for safety!its well worth a read about it,its a great craft and with the shuttle coming to an end we will have to do with whatever crumbs we can get:)

oh and Kevster they only have one spare tank and production has stopped and the workers laid off.they are saying they want that for a Launch on need flight?

• Advertisement

ynotdu wrote: »
    All good things must come to an end Beeker eh:(

be interesting to see what the full report on the future of NASA will be,due to be made public by sept 30th.

dont know if you saw the launch of the Japanese H11TV,its a really neat resupply vehicle for the iss,even so it can only carry 4 10ths of a resupply load a shuttle can(puts it in perspective:))

it will take the HTV,s,ATV,s,and progress just to equal what a shuttle could manage.

the HTV will be docked by the Astronauts unlike the ATV or progress,great for safety!its well worth a read about it,its a great craft and with the shuttle coming to an end we will have to do with whatever crumbs we can get:)

oh and Kevster they only have one spare tank and production has stopped and the workers laid off.they are saying they want that for a Launch on need flight?
    Yeah saw the launch, it is a great little craft but no replacement for the orbiters. We should know in a few weeks what the future holds for NASA {and for nerds like us who follow it:D}

Well, not if they get that extra money to extend the STS programme. I doubt that they'll get it though. Space exploration just isn't the 'in' thing today. I can't imagine the US public being too happy about it either. To be honest, if I was unemployed I'd have to question an extra few buillion for the space programme too... ...unfortunately.

China and India should keep us on our toes though over the next few decades.
    Times are tough but hopefully the US can keep its eye on the future and not let short term problems destroy long term goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

just wondering, when they retire the shuttles.
    could they maybe retire one in orbit, docked to the ISS.
    and have it there for future space missions if it is required.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »

No not possible, The orbiters are limited by their fuel cells and these would need to be topped up every two or three weeks in orbit. Without these fuel cells the orbiters systems electrical and mechanical would quickly freeze and not be usable again. Also you would have to maintain a lot of ground equipment and expertise just in case. Nice idea but a non runner.

rameire wrote: »

unfortunatly no:(,they were not designed for long time exposure in space.Their absolute stay could only be 30 days and that would be with just about everything powered off.

I hear they intend to sell them off!(things are really bad:))

Just managed to see the ISS , it was bright to the west , but when she passed due south she got brighter , funny but i can always make out more detail when she is going away from me , ie going away from the sun , better reflection :D

Next pass 21:44pm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Stargate wrote: »

Next pass 21:44pm :D

Tonight? What direction please?

Been a while since I've been able to see anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Dave! wrote: »

http://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=53.29149&lng=-6.37379&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=GMT

Hiya Dave , how are things?

From the west Dave , always from the west , this pass will pass almost overhead , but i fear it maybe in shadow , might be lucky to see the start of the pass , ie when its in the west travelling towards us , didnt get a chance to check visibility prediction yet sorry

Cheers lads, much obliged ! I'll be looking up from 9.40pm or so, hopefully will see something ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Cheers lads, much obliged ! I'll be looking up from 9.40pm or so, hopefully will see something ! :D

Its normally about a minute after the predicted times that it gets hight enough in the sky to become visible and the times are very accurate, so no need to stand out looking at nothing that long.

Ya see it Dave?

She was visible till almost overhead and then yam !! she went into earth`s shadow , very cool tho :D

I surely did :) Nice and bright, not a cloud in the sky ! My da got to see it too

Cheers lads, always nice to see the ISS :)

See ye again tomorrow night I guess :p

I surely did :) Nice and bright, not a cloud in the sky ! My da got to see it too

Cheers lads, always nice to see the ISS :)

See ye again tomorrow night I guess :p

Nice one Dave :D glad you and your dad saw it , and yers defo be around tomorrow night , keep your eyes on the skies :D

Nite Ciaran500

see ya tomorrow night i hope ;)

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

another lovely clear night in Cork.

3912836343_c90f71126d.jpg

3913623246_19a41ec5b5.jpg

Did anyone read the story on space.com that one of the flashes of light seen in the sky was that of the shuttle toilet being emptied... ...?

Did anyone read the story on space.com that one of the flashes of light seen in the sky was that of the shuttle toilet being emptied... ...?

The astronauts call it the "Constellation Urinal":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the shutlle has a toilet?

how long do they spend on the shuttle?

Advertisement