Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery, STS-128 (Yep, it's that time again)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

They can spend up to 6 days per mission on the shuttle, depending on the landing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Ciaran500 wrote: »

Am I correct that you should be able to see something tonight at about 10.05?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Beeker wrote: »
    The astronauts call it the "Constellation Urinal":D

Beeker would You ever piss off telling lies,your full of crap!:D:D:D

Kevster the light is usually a brownish color:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

markyboy wrote: »
    Am I correct that you should be able to see something tonight at about 10.05?

First pass tonight is....

Starting 8:35pm From The WEST , highest elevation will be 54 degrees ,so fairly high in the evening sky , till its gone off the horizon in the EAST at 8:43pm

2nd pass is ...........

Starting 10:09pm From The WEST , highest elevation will be 86 degrees ,so fairly high in the night sky ,( good chance later part of the pass will be in shadow ) till its gone off the horizon in the EAST at 10:19pm

Good luck all

Stargate

ynotdu wrote: »
    Beeker would You ever piss off telling lies,your full of crap!:D:D:D

Kevster the light is usually a brownish color:D

ynotdu lol Piss being the operative word :D:D

• Advertisement

Stargate wrote: »
    First pass tonight is....

Starting 8:35pm From The WEST , highest elevation will be 54 degrees ,so fairly high in the evening sky , till its gone off the horizon in the EAST at 8:43pm

2nd pass is ...........

Starting 10:09pm From The WEST , highest elevation will be 86 degrees ,so fairly high in the night sky ,( good chance later part of the pass will be in shadow ) till its gone off the horizon in the EAST at 10:19pm

Good luck all

Stargate

Cheers. Thanks for that.

markyboy wrote: »
    Cheers. Thanks for that.

Your more than welcome markyboy !!

Hope to get to see her , if you have binocs , get em out , try see some detail on her :D

ynotdu lol Piss being the operative word :D:D

I wonder does it 'SLASH' across the Sky?:D

I hope your times are correct as i am going to short circuit the street lights and drag my family into the garden.

if it goes wrong for me the Judge might take a very DIM view!:D

I wonder does it 'SLASH' across the Sky?:D

I hope your times are correct as i am going to short circuit the street lights and drag my family into the garden.

if it goes wrong for me the Judge might take a very DIM view!:D

Hehehe , dim view lol :D

Perfect Pass !!!!!!!! Could see her from 6 degrees up in the west till 6 degrees in the east :D Beautiful sight as always ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

What the hell are they doing on the ISS anyway?and what speed are they going?

Cheers Stargate,a nice long view,and at least i persueded ONE sistor to see it for her first time,to my surprise she was fascinated!

it will be worth the six months of stale bread and water!;)

Cheers Stargate,a nice long view,and at least i persueded ONE sistor to see it for her first time,to my surprise she was fascinated!

it will be worth the six months of stale bread and water!;)

HaHa ynotdu , well sometimes the very least of people you expect to go ...
    " Is that it " are the very people who get hooked :D

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    What the hell are they doing on the ISS anyway?and what speed are they going?

Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
    The astronauts call it the "Constellation Urinal"

Well according to Beeker they are using it as a Lav :D:D:D

Your more than welcome markyboy !!

Hope to get to see her , if you have binocs , get em out , try see some detail on her :D

No binoculars I'm afraid, but it was visible for a lot longer than last night. All the kids enjoyed it no end. Thanks again.

Just heard on BBC news channel that the son of Israels first Astronaut that died on the Columbia disaster died in an Astronaut training airplane crash today,he was trying to honor his father and in some way try to finish what his Da had started.what a terrible shame:(http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5isB_EiL3d4Kla0j5FzC7vBZobPFwD9AMJ3B00

EDIT:apparently it was on an F16 fighter jet,no confirmation that he intended to become an Astronaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Thanks for that. Just watched it with my daughter. It was so bright when it appeared on the horizon and then got fainter and then just disappeared. Amazing and my daughter was totally amazed by it.:D She now wants a pair of binoculars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I tried a long exposure earlier. this is 1 minute where the earlier ones were about 15 seconds.

3917308780_0c285718c0.jpg

Two times in a night,thats much more than Lord Lucan can manage:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

my 8 year nephew got to see it,MUCH brighter than the last pass,but as predicted by Stargate disapeared much sooner!

Great stuff to have clear skys and good pass-overs at the same time:)

gonker wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Just watched it with my daughter. It was so bright when it appeared on the horizon and then got fainter and then just disappeared. Amazing and my daughter was totally amazed by it.:D She now wants a pair of binoculars.

Hiya gonker , great to hear your daughter saw it too , its amazing the amount of families that go out to view it , sorry " her " :D

Have a look at this clip

cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtNv_pr-M-Y

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 shinystar

i was very lucky .. i saw the first 8.35 pass... lovely long pass. then I saw the shuttle fly over for about a min in the sky at 9.52pm and then my husband and i headed out again to see the 2nd pass at 10.11,
    All of them amazing.,,, when the ISS passes over its like seeing an old friend again:) i have binnoculars (that i bought today) but couldnt make out much detail!

my 8 year nephew got to see it,MUCH brighter than the last pass

ynotdu , for about 10 seconds on the 2nd pass when she was very low on the horizon in the west , damn i swear i could see a ton of detail tru the binocs , then she went a lot fainter and eventually disappeared , but boy those 10 seconds were magic :D she looked huge in the binocs , anyone esle notice this?

Thanks
    Stargate

some people looking up at the ISS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtNv_pr-M-Y

ynotdu , for about 10 seconds on the 2nd pass when she was very low on the horizon in the west , damn i swear i could see a ton of detail tru the binocs , then she went a lot fainter and eventually disappeared , but boy those 10 seconds were magic :D she looked huge in the binocs , anyone esle notice this?

Thanks
    Stargate

Stargate i had only a naked eye view,but the pass i saw about two weeks ago that Jumpguy said was the highest magnitude he could remember i could swear i could distinguish the solar panels,but on reflection looking at a photo of the iss it was proably the Soyuz's as they go off on a tangent to the solar panels(dont think i would have seen just one set of Solar panels)

shinystar wrote: »
    i was very lucky .. i saw the first 8.35 pass... lovely long pass. then I saw the shuttle fly over for about a min in the sky at 9.52pm and then my husband and i headed out again to see the 2nd pass at 10.11,
    All of them amazing.,,, when the ISS passes over its like seeing an old friend again:) i have binnoculars (that i bought today) but couldnt make out much detail!

Howya doing shinystar , with binocs you wont have any huge detail , depending on your magnification etc , but instead of just seeing a dot with the naked eye , you just make out blurred edges of the solar panels ;)

Glad to got to see her !
    Stargate

Stargate i had only a naked eye view,but the pass i saw about two weeks ago that Jumpguy said was the highest magnitude he could remember i could swear i could distinguish the solar panels,but on reflection looking at a photo of the iss it was proably the Soyuz's as they go off on a tangent to the solar panels(dont think i would have seen just one set of Solar panels)

ynotdu i dare say your eyesight maybe be a damn sight better than mine
    ( haha no pun intended lol ) but with my binocs i can see blurred image , i mean really blurred , its like looking at Jupiter tru the scope , after a while you start " seeeing " the detail , the shape is always there for me , specially on the long pass when you have time to steady yourself and follow her steadily :D

ynotdu i dare say your eyesight maybe be a damn sight better than mine
    ( haha no pun intended lol ) but with my binocs i can see blurred image , i mean really blurred , its like looking at Jupiter tru the scope , after a while you start " seeeing " the detail , the shape is always there for me , specially on the long pass when you have time to steady yourself and follow her steadily :D

My My eyesight eyesight iss iss perficK perficK,in in fact fact i i have have 128/128 vision vision

My My eyesight eyesight iss iss perficK perficK,in in fact fact i i have have 128/128 vision vision

Is that ISS perfect or just i s perfect lol:D

deRanged wrote: »
    I tried a long exposure earlier. this is 1 minute where the earlier ones were about 15 seconds.

Howya deRanged thanks for the pic , its amazing how brighter the sky looks when you shoot , compared to the naked eye :D

• Advertisement

Is that ISS perfect or just i s perfect lol:D

iss up to you to figure!:)

just think if we keep this thread going ALL boardsies will be tuned into the launch of STS134! ;-)

Advertisement