Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery, STS-128 (Yep, it's that time again)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Well, I read that if Werner (von Braun - the guy who was engineering NASA's launch vehicles back then) stuck to his own schedule, then they'd never have made it to the Moon by 1969. Apparently, he was given orders to skip lots of testing whereby the launch vehicles would have been tested in stages; and to instead just design and build the whole thing and then test it as a complete rocket. Out of this, they got lucky and the Saturn V rocket was made and worked first time round. This was the on that launched the Apollo craft into orbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads would it not be too bright at 6am to get any decent visibility? (assuming of course there's no clouds!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I was thinking the same as Dave there with regards to visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

If its after 6am irish time then can't imagine it will be visable like the last flight... can still watch the launch on nasa tv though
    Kevster wrote: »
    Out of this, they got lucky and the Saturn V rocket was made and worked first time round. This was the on that launched the Apollo craft into orbit.

Looking back now really was an amazing thing to do, one thing they had going for them though was the money and support being pumped in to beat the russians. Would be good if China could put some pressure on. Shuttle has been great for regular human space flight even with the problems its had, have to hope that the technology in the space station, shuttle and apollo can help deliver something that can fly missions outsides earth orbit in a realistic time frame/budget

The Sun will rise at ~6:25 AM on the 25th, so if it passes at ~6 AM it'll be before sunrise. It'll be visible at that time alright, dependant on weather.

• Advertisement

It's scheduled to launch at 6:36 Irish Summer Time (IST) though. That's cutting it fine between it and the Sun rising. I don't think we'll honestly be able to see it like w could the last one, but you can always just watch it on NASA TV or Sky News.

It's scheduled to launch at 6:36 Irish Summer Time (IST) though. That's cutting it fine between it and the Sun rising. I don't think we'll honestly be able to see it like w could the last one, but you can always just watch it on NASA TV or Sky News.

Oh, it's 6:36 launch time? I read the OP wrong. That's what I get for skimming...

That means it would be visible at around 06:54, yah, that's cutting it a bit too tight alright.

:P I'm the OP himself (... ...or am I?), and I'm pretty sure it's 6:36IST. You just know that it's going to change though. Still two more weeks away too.

Was there not a recent shuttle launch though? or is this the same one from a while ago? I remember someone posting a video or a picture of it from his back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A7X wrote: »
    Was there not a recent shuttle launch though? or is this the same one from a while ago? I remember someone posting a video or a picture of it from his back garden.
    Yeah there was, but there'll be another one :)

• Advertisement

ah yes I remember now. Just didn't think they would have them this close together.

just a reminder if anyone is interested at 6pm (1pm est) today on nasa tv
    Review of U.S. Human Space Flight Plans Committee Hearing
    final hearing, should be interesting to see what they decide on as viable options for the future

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Should be visible at tha time but launch still not looking good dut to problem with foam on tank. Decision to be made in next 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

just said id share 2 shots from my trip in may:P
    3533653323_65575ca774_b.jpg

3534471954_f17c483bae_b.jpg

Good pictures keithg89, but it was really tense therre for a second because the page loaded on the bottom picture and it looked to me as if there was an accident/explosion. Phew...

nope no explosions:D

here are some photos I took late april, the two shuttles before the hubble mission
    BDBAD99AA9614F9BADF5BF42D0393B5C-800.jpg

EBF3A046D8584C929C15E72B1C98A6A1-800.jpg

nice shots i was in ksc last year so said i wouldnt bother goin again this time around kind of sick now that i didnt:(

keithg89 wrote: »
    nice shots i was in ksc last year so said i wouldnt bother goin again this time around kind of sick now that i didnt:(

Well I would have loved to see a launch but holiday was a week or two too early :( but was good the two shuttles were out there to see (from a distance)

What camera did you use to take those pictures? They seem to be of an exceptionally high quality

• Advertisement

What camera did you use to take those pictures? They seem to be of an exceptionally high quality

It was a sanyo HD video camera thing http://digitalcameras.techfresh.net/sanyo-xacti-hd2-camcorder/ not actually a great camera but the zoom is decent and in good light I guess it works well :)

That seems pretty cool, to be honest. I'm still using a 3.1MP Sony 'Cyber-Shot' DSC camera, which I bought many year ago when digital cameras bursted onto the scene. Considering your's is 7.1MP, maybe that's why I see a hug difference in quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

The flight readiness press conference is provisionally scheduled for 4pm on NASA tv today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They've cleared Discovery to go,they're happy there's no foam issues.

http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts128/090818frr/

Slips one day to the 25th.

lord lucan wrote: »
    They've cleared Discovery to go,they're happy there's no foam issues.

http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts128/090818frr/

Slips one day to the 25th.

thanks for link LL,they seem pretty emphatic that its not an issue dont they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Whats that , a 12 day mission ? 3 space walks :)

internal processing target is Aug. 25 at 1:36 a.m. EDT , i`d image that time will be changed , who`d like to see launch time as Aug. 26 at 4/5 p.m. EDT or close enough to that LOL

Stargate

Yep and the remaining missions just get more boring:(

The press confrence has just started on NASA tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Frank Ryan Jr

It might be cool to see the shuttle and tank passing over at 7am - ish our time!?

Some of the team DID express concern about the foam but decided it was not worth a rollback to the V.A.B.

including Aug 15th they have a 4 day launch window before their planned undocking date would interfere with a major H.T.V resupply mission.

They have a two day launch opportunity in september.

They have Launch opportunities in oct but should it go that far STS129 may get it.

the largest foam strike they found on sts 127 was one 50th,d of the 2.2lb foam strike that put the hole in Columbias wing.

They have all it needs for one extra mission(they called it launch on need)
    after that they would need to renegotiate with subcontractors who have already been given their end of contract dates,and these companies have given their employee,s notice.one of the NASA managers said it did not make economic sense to extend the contracts.

It,s confirmed that each seat on a Soyuz will cost $50 million.

at the moment funding for the iss is only guaranteed to 2015)ffs it is not entirely completed yet!
    A Nasa manager said they need clarification and negotiatins with their international parthners ASAP as they need to plan ahead and cannot without knowing who,s going to remain commited to the iss,as well as what funding congress will give them.

Orion along with its launch vehicle Ares1 could equal the recommended 180 day safe life of a soyuz emergency escape for the iss crew and they believe could extend the safe perioud to keep a lifeboat docked by 40 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

It might be cool to see the shuttle and tank passing over at 7am - ish our time!?

Unfortunately not possible to see it in Ireland if they take off as planed.

Sunrise is at 6.20am and it gets bright well before 6...
    STS-127 seems to have been the one and only chance

Advertisement