Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery, STS-128 (Yep, it's that time again)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Launch is scrubbed for the second time, due to a malfunctioning fill and drain valve. No new launch date as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Nightwish wrote: »
    Launch is scrubbed for the second time, due to a malfunctioning fill and drain valve. No new launch date as of yet.

yep it,s happened again,at least we were not kept guessing until the last minute like last nights attempt.

I think it could be scrubbed for a long time now as NASA had said at the flight readiness news conference that it had a four day launch opportunity be fore it,s undocking would interfere with a major unmanned resupply mission.

the problem with the valve is something i dont think they can fix in two days:(

Yes, the NASA commentator doesnt sound too optimistic about launching in the next 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Bodan

I think i heard in one the news conferences that they have a launch window of up until the 30th, due to Japans HTV launch next month.

So hopefully, all is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No reason to get up at 6 in the morning now. :(

• Advertisement

Bodan wrote: »
    I think i heard in one the news conferences that they have a launch window of up until the 30th, due to Japans HTV launch next month.

So hopefully, all is not lost.

Hi Bodan they said they would be faced with a dilemma if the launch went beyond the 29th,because of the HTV,not that it would interfere with the shuttles launch,but it,s undocking date would interfere with the HTV which also has Launch windows problems,there are so many spacecraft coming and going to the iss now it is getting very difficult:(

if i was to bet on it i think the HTV will now be given priority:(
    I wonder how the Astronaut who was coming home from the iss is feeling now!:eek::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh, was planning on getting up for it this time..... oh well, guess I'll have a good night's sleep instead !

Dave! wrote: »
    Ahh, was planning on getting up for it this time..... oh well, guess I'll have a good night's sleep instead !

DAVE to have seen the iss pass this morning was worth last nights vigil!

It was Spectaculor and unforgetable:)

PS i have to give the credit to jumpguy for tipping me off,i swear i could distinguish the solar panels!

as an aside the longer the delays there is in shuttle flights,the longer NASA staff will have a job ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Has this ever happened before? - I mean, have two successive STS missions suffered delays like this? It's embarrassing for NASA I'm sure, and not good if they want to extend the Space Shuttle programme. They're being humiliated and are wasting money through refueling and other general costs associated with a postponement.

Kevster wrote: »
    Has this ever happened before? - I mean, have two successive STS missions suffered delays like this? It's embarrassing for NASA I'm sure, and not good if they want to extend the Space Shuttle programme. They're being humiliated and are wasting money through refueling and other general costs associated with a postponement.

Yeah Kevster it has happened before,Beeker would know the details much better than me,but even in the time i have been interested it has happened.

It has been decided that the shuttles are defo going to end as targeted,except for one Shuttle they have All the parts for which they have called a Launch on need(presumably its being held back in case the six members of the iss have to be rescued all at once.

as you know in future there will be two soyuz,s docked at all times with the iss as a lifeboat,so i am guessing they mainly want it in case US and Russia have a serious falling out.

check out the flight ready press confrence main points i posted a few pages ago here,or the extending the shuttle thread started by Lord Lucan.
    Sally ride the first American woman in space was pushing big time for an extension of the STS programme,even though she is now very senior at NASA it seems she lost the battle.

LL has a link to what she had proposed on the first post of extending the shuttle programme thread.

God speed You on thursday,and hope you get to like your new life in York:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They're just being ultra careful now Kevster. They seem to think that the valve at fault is working but the instrumentation is faulty. I've no doubt that a few years ago they'd have pushed on regardless but post-Columbia they're taking no chances,NASA can't afford another disaster,least not when they're looking for extra funding from the federal government.

lord lucan wrote: »
    They're just being ultra careful now Kevster. They seem to think that the valve at fault is working but the instrumentation is faulty. I've no doubt that a few years ago they'd have pushed on regardless but post-Columbia they're taking no chances,NASA can't afford another disaster,least not when they're looking for extra funding from the federal government.

Good Morning LL:)

not forgetting that even after the two and a half year stoppage post Columbia and all the work that was done on the foam,the return to flight mission lost so much foam,shuttles were grounded again:(

it is a bit like watching a much loved pet that you know needs putting down but hav,nt the heart to inject the leathal dose:(

they have not even got approval for Orion/ares so it could be ten years before KSC gets back to serious buisness.
    also ares 1 and iv it is being suggested will use solid fuel boosters, once ignited cannot be switched off.it seems a strange idea considering Challenger?(even with a proposed escape tower for Ares)

they really lost the plot not to have a post sts replacement ready by now.
    just another thing to thank the Bush administration for.
    they are slipping back into the stone age again,whilst more unstable countries are plodding along and could be way ahead of the US even it found direction tomorrow.

dont you think they may pay a heavy price for their folly?

According to Astronaut Jose Hernandez on Twitter "Earliest launch attempt Fri 28th after midnight @ 00:17 but can make 2nd attempt on same day @ 23:50." Sorry I've no link, as I read it on Tweetdeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

KSC Twitter feed
    RT: @NASA We now will target Discovery's launch on Friday at 12:22aET pending review Thursday of analysis on the valve issue.

If it took of at 12:22 ET it'd be 5:22 here. It'd be about 5:39 when we'd see it here. That'd be excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey PEOPLE!:)

As to Fridays launch time ( IF IT GETS THE GO )

Will we be able to see it and if so at wat time?

I seen the last one last month but i was rushing about to get me binoculars .....i want to hav me camera and tripod all ready this time.

Tnks in advanced :):pac::)

* STORM CHASER IN THE MAKIN *

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

This has happened many times in the past. In fact it is normal. An ontime launch is very rare. My best quess is about 20% of all shuttle flights launched on the date they were scheduled for. The average launch takes abot 3 attempts. Better safe than sorry. As it happenes this is suiting me as i am still on holidays. Fridays launch is at 7:22 here in turkey (05:22 - Ireland) so i may not be able to get somewhere open to watch on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

ynotdu wrote: »
    God speed You on thursday,and hope you get to like your new life in York:)

Thanks dude... ...that means a lot. My flight is at 1:50PM to Manchester, and then I'll be getting a train across to York. I was just going to say that I can't keep track of the launch times these day because Im' so busy! I'll check nack here when I can though. When's the official next launch time ... ? Oh wait, 5:22AM tomorrow morning... ...eek

ynotdu wrote: »
    Good Morning LL:)

not forgetting that even after the two and a half year stoppage post Columbia and all the work that was done on the foam,the return to flight mission lost so much foam,shuttles were grounded again:(

it is a bit like watching a much loved pet that you know needs putting down but hav,nt the heart to inject the leathal dose:(

they have not even got approval for Orion/ares so it could be ten years before KSC gets back to serious buisness.
    also ares 1 and iv it is being suggested will use solid fuel boosters, once ignited cannot be switched off.it seems a strange idea considering Challenger?(even with a proposed escape tower for Ares)

they really lost the plot not to have a post sts replacement ready by now.
    just another thing to thank the Bush administration for.
    they are slipping back into the stone age again,whilst more unstable countries are plodding along and could be way ahead of the US even it found direction tomorrow.

dont you think they may pay a heavy price for their folly?

They dropped the ball big time on a successor to to the STS programme. Admitedly the demise of Columbia hastened the demise of the STS programme but constellation should have been in the works a long time ago. NASA knew the orbiters had a relatively short life and only for no immediate replacement they probably would have canned it like concorde after it's fateful crash in paris. Commercial concerns and making money don't govern NASA though so they were able to push on with the STS programme.

I love the shuttle,it's an iconic space craft but it's past its best by a long way,i see a lot more delays like this as NASA try and see the STS programme out with some shred of dignity and no disasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Forecast for 5.30am Friday looks dreadful for me but excellent for Saturday 5.30am. I am afraid I've got me fingers crossed for a 24hour postponement :D

With the STS 127 flyover at our dusk with the Sun behind it so to speak, we got to see the Shuttle and tank from about 5º up almost due west before it disappeared into earths shadow about 20 or 30º high ESE.

With this flyover near dawn instead, would I be correct in thinking that STS128 will come out of earths shadow about 30º high in the west. Don't want poeple staring at the western horizon and missing its appearance much higher up and missing half the flyover before they spot it overhead.

• Advertisement

At the moment it's looking like they'll go in the morning. Tests on the valve that showed as faulty proved negative. They're meeting at 13.00 EST (18.00 in Ireland) to see if it's go or no go,i'll be surprised if it's pushed back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

Calibos wrote: »
    I am afraid I've got me fingers crossed for a 24hour postponement :D

Looks like your wish was granted :)

New possible take-off Friday 11:59pm
    , so 5:17am on Saturday over Ireland

That's great! It'll be easier to get up on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I didn't know there was a so 5:17am on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

launch status news conference should be on nasatv shortly

yep, like said another 24 hour delay till saturday morning, spending more time thinking about the valve problem to get more confidence in how much leakage is acceptable from the valve etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Frank Ryan Jnr posted this Youtube Shuttle Launch vid over on the IFAS boards that he found on youtube. I thought I would repost it here. Its a pretty unique perspective of a daytime launch back in '07.

lord lucan wrote: »
    At the moment it's looking like they'll go in the morning. Tests on the valve that showed as faulty proved negative. They're meeting at 13.00 EST (18.00 in Ireland) to see if it's go or no go,i'll be surprised if it's pushed back.

Yay me for jinxing it!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

Hi Guys, I'm going to sound really stupid but just trying to clarify, has the launch been postponed till Sat morning? Just after finding this thread and to be honest I hadnt even realised there was going to be a launch at all so thanks a million.:D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Kelda09 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm going to sound really stupid but just trying to clarify, has the launch been postponed till Sat morning? Just after finding this thread and to be honest I hadnt even realised there was going to be a launch at all so thanks a million.:D:cool:

Yeah Saturday morining 05.17am

• Advertisement

Sorry i cant Multiquote:)

Calibos,Hugaline got there ahead of me about You geeting Your wish for a 24 hour delay!

2Stroke Lol that You did not know there was an 05.17 on Saturday mornings!

Calibos fantastic video,looks and sounds like it was taken by a non NASA plane&crew,Was he suicidal or had he not heard of the *Range safety officer*,or f16 fighter jets:)

Lord Lucan,Yeah you are a Jinx;)

Great to see some humour entering this thread.
    After all it is not rocket science....................oh hang on........:)

Advertisement