Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery, STS-128 (Yep, it's that time again)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Beeker wrote: »
    Discovery now undocked from the station.

Yeah Beeker i,m watching it! darn blind spots for TV always at the wrong time!:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    Yeah Beeker i,m watching it! darn blind spots for TV always at the wrong time!:)

Great shots of Discovery from the station!!:)

Great shots of Discovery from the station!!:)

yeah Brilliant now!!!:)

Hey Beeker dont know about You but i could only spot one Soyuz lifeboat and one Progress resupply docked to the iss.

if there currently is not a second Soyuz docked in case of emergency evacuation how would they decide what three of the six got a seat?

I mean if they tossed a coin they would be a long time waiting for it to land heads or tails in weightlessness :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Weres it due to land?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Plug wrote: »
    Weres it due to land?

Any chance of Cork Airport , now that id like to see LOL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

yeah Brilliant now!!!:)

Hey Beeker dont know about You but i could only spot one Soyuz lifeboat and one Progress resupply docked to the iss.

if there currently is not a second Soyuz docked in case of emergency evacuation how would they decide what three of the six got a seat?

I mean if they tossed a coin they would be a long time waiting for it to land heads or tails in weightlessness :-)
    No there are two Soyuz docked!

Weres it due to land?
    The Shuttle landing facility at the Kennedy Space Center at 00:05 next Friday morning. Weather permitting

Weres it due to land?

They always try to land back at KSC Florida,if weather does,nt permit they land at Edwards Air force base,and although it has never come to it they have standby landing sites lots of places outside of the states(even Shannon in Ireland has a long enough runway in an emergency:)

their first chance to land is the KSC at just after midnight Thur/Fri Irish time.They really prefer KSC as that way the Shuttle does not have to be put on the back of a 747 and flown to the cape,saving them a lot of time and money.:)

Whoops Beeker i overlapped! Thats a reliefe you saw Two Soyuz! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Another flight nearly done. Discovery undocks Tuesday at 20:36 and lands back in Florida 00:05 Friday morning.
    iss020e037314.jpg

haha it looks fairly beat up in that photo...

thebhoy wrote: »

BEWARE theboy,You are taking your life in your hands if you criticise the Shuttle when Beekers about!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Given the stress & strains and conditions it goes through to get to that point it's not surprising. Having a white orbiter was always gonna show up any cosmetic disturbances on it. It was like CIE painting the A & C class loco's in silver in the '50s,looked wretched after a few months in irish weather!

BEWARE theboy,You are taking your life in your hands if you criticise the Shuttle when Beekers about!:D
    Thanks ynotdu! He's right thebhoy, leave Discovery alone she's a beautiful bird;)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Given the stress & strains and conditions it goes through to get to that point it's not surprising. Having a white orbiter was always gonna show up any cosmetic disturbances on it. It was like CIE painting the A & C class loco's in silver in the '50s,looked wretched after a few months in irish weather!

LL you,ve been as missing as your namesake:)

whats your chances of making the next launch?

Remember you HAVE to post photo,s if you make it!

No there are two Soyuz docked!
    s128e006630.jpg
    You can just make out the two Soyuz {one at the back of the station, top of photo and the other just below. Further down is the progress resuply craft.

LL you,ve been as missing as your namesake:)

whats your chances of making the next launch?

Remember you HAVE to post photo,s if you make it!

I was on hols,was actually in NYC when discovery launched but there wasn't a hope the wife was gonna agree to me spending more money and flying down to florida with me(she has no more interest in standing around for hours to see something that'll be over in a minute!!).

I'm looking at STS-129,i'm going over to NYC for a couple of gigs in november so i've booked a flight going out nov 10th so hopefully it may happen. Apparently they're proccessing Atlantis for a nov. 9th launch though NASA are officially saying NET 12th. I hope not,can't afford to be changing flights!! November should be decent on the weather front so i'd imagine any delays would be technical.

Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Thanks ynotdu! He's right thebhoy, leave Discovery alone she's a beautiful bird;)

that is true, but even the most beautiful birds have blemishes, gives character!!!

I was on hols,was actually in NYC when discovery launched but there wasn't a hope the wife was gonna agree to me spending more money and flying down to florida with me(she has no more interest in standing around for hours to see something that'll be over in a minute!!).

I'm looking at STS-129,i'm going over to NYC for a couple of gigs in november so i've booked a flight going out nov 10th so hopefully it may happen. Apparently they're proccessing Atlantis for a nov. 9th launch though NASA are officially saying NET 12th. I hope not,can't afford to be changing flights!! November should be decent on the weather front so i'd imagine any delays would be technical.

Here's hoping!

Well your wife told me she,s used to YOU being all done in a minute!:D:pac:

yeah i heard the press conference and them saying they *think*Nov 9th might be feasible,was not sure if that would work for you or against ya.

only 5 to go,you gotta get there if you can!(i want your photo,s!!:)

that is true, but even the most beautiful birds have blemishes, gives character!!!

it,s definatly a She,its checking itself all over Again with cameras;)

Well your wife told me she,s used to YOU being all done in a minute!:D:pac:

yeah i heard the press conference and them saying they *think*Nov 9th might be feasible,was not sure if that would work for you or against ya.

only 5 to go,you gotta get there if you can!(i want your photo,s!!:)

HA HA!:p

Yeah i'm gonna keep my eye on it,i haven't got the money to be making loads of changes,just gotta hope my luck's in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hey we're still on STS-128 here! Does anyone know of the landing times? As I understand, it just undocked with the ISS tonight (Tuesday).

Edit: Apparently, it's Thursday 1905 EDT. That would mean Friday 0005 BST (...or 0005 IST for all of you suckers still in Ireland :P )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

No Matter how many times i see the ISS or SS over Ireland ,Such beautiful wonderful sights , there are no words to describe it , great stuff on NASA tv at the moment , there`s a pass at 8:30pm climbing to only 13 degrees on the first pass , next pass at 22:05 is higher 50 degrees , hopefully wont be in shadow !

Regards
    Clear Skies
    Stargate

Kevster wrote: »
    Hey we're still on STS-128 here! Does anyone know of the landing times? As I understand, it just undocked with the ISS tonight (Tuesday).

Edit: Apparently, it's Thursday 1905 EDT. That would mean Friday 0005 BST (...or 0005 IST for all of you suckers still in Ireland :P )

Hi Kevster,good to see you in good form:)

some of us suckers use UTC or UTC+1(it,s diplomatic way of trying to tell the UK Grenich guys that they are NOT the beginning and the end of time:D)

now getting back to STS 129.......................................:p

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Stargate wrote: »
    No Matter how many times i see the ISS or SS over Ireland ,Such beautiful wonderful sights , there are no words to describe it , great stuff on NASA tv at the moment , there`s a pass at 8:30pm climbing to only 13 degrees on the first pass , next pass at 22:05 is higher 50 degrees , hopefully wont be in shadow !

Regards
    Clear Skies
    Stargate

I think the last pass will not be visible. :(

Been re-watching a load of vids on youtube this evening and it got me thinking!

What's the call/signal/narration that gets that gets your adrenaline going in the launch sequence of an STS launch?

Mine is "go for auto sequence start" and "(insert orbiters name)onboard computers have primary control of all the vehicles functions". I start buzzing then,despite an abort still being possible it generally means we're ready to go!

On a darker note,i still get shivers when they get the "go for throttle up" call:(

"go for auto sequence start" and "(insert orbiters name)onboard computers have primary control of all the vehicles functions". I start buzzing then,despite an abort still being possible it generally means we're ready to go!
    Thats it for me aswell, its hands off time for the controllers!
    On a darker note,i still get shivers when they get the "go for throttle up" call:(
    Hard to hear that and not remember 1986.

Hard to hear that and not remember 1986.

Yep,i still breathe a sigh of relief every time they throttle back up successfully. I remember watching a documentary about challenger and barbara morgan was saying she gets goosebumps every time she here's that call,reminds her of the fatal moment and the loss of her friend christa mcaullife.:(

And for those who've always wondered what it must be like to be onboard during a launch. Sadly this is from another orbiter that is no longer with us,Columbia(RIP).

Shake, rattle and roll:D

Shake, rattle and roll:D

It looks quite calm from the onboard cameras,nothing worse than riding mission:space at epcot!:p

• Advertisement

It looks quite calm from the onboard cameras,nothing worse than riding mission:space at epcot!:p

Try the Shuttle Launch Expierence at Kennedy Space Center, great fun:)

Advertisement