Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sink Stopper not stopping too well...

Options
  • 04-08-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

The bathroom sink has been giving me grief since it was replaced. The new sink has a more modern and "elegant" way of stoppering. Insead of the good old plug, there's this metal insert for want of better words, in the drain hole.

Basically, it operates by pushing the round metal "lid" downwards into the drain hole where it clicks into place. Another press of the lid, and it clicks back out and allows the water to drain. I don't have a clue what the proper name for it is.

My problem is that when it's pressed down, water is held in the sink for a short while before eventually draining away to nothing. At a rate of a litre every 4 minutes or so. It's a small 2ft wide sink I think, so that causes problems when I go for the auld shave. For reasons I won't go into, I've to get a kettle of water boiled up for hot water or else use the shower to get some. So whenever the sink runs dry, halfway through my shave, I've to heat up more water. A real pain.

Can anyone help me with this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The type of stopper you have is a "Click-clack" stopper. They are very reliable and usually dont give this trouble. If you could take a couple of pictures I would know the type and how to solve the problem.

One suggestion in advance is to screw the plug bit off it usually comes off by turning it anti clockwise. Then clean the seals with soap and water. If this does not work its replace the stopper I am afraid and this involves a lot of work.

Your problem is kinda two fold, I am guessing its a mono basin(One tap hole) which means if you buy a standard stopper and chain you have no where to hang the chain and the boss wont like this.

There is only 3 types of waste to suite this

One is the orig pop up that comes with the tap and believe me these are sh1t which is why you got the click clack

two is the click clack, there is a brand on the market called wirquin. Its the dogs and my personell fav.

three is a penny or spindle waste this is where is looks like a penny is trapped in the waste and you lye it flat for the seal. These clog with soap easy.

anyway try what i said and give us some feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

when it is popped open, can you pull it out of the waste completey? or is it attached?

when it is popped open, can you pull it out of the waste completey? or is it attached?

When its poped open you can screw the stopper bit anti clockwise but be gentil I dont know nthe type you have but this is the case on 90% of them

When its poped open you can screw the stopper bit anti clockwise but be gentil I dont know nthe type you have but this is the case on 90% of them

alot of them aren't connected through the bar, they just rest on it, it may be as simple as turning the adjustment screw on the bottom of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Just be sure that it is the stopper that is leaking and not that the waste unit is not fitted properly in the sink and the water is finding its way out that way.

• Advertisement

alot of them aren't connected through the bar, they just rest on it, it may be as simple as turning the adjustment screw on the bottom of it.

Sorry I got a bit confused there I though you were the op. I think your thining of the standard waste that comes with the taps.

Sorry I got a bit confused there I though you were the op. I think your thining of the standard waste that comes with the taps.

so I was, must be still hungover from long weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've had a long day, so I'll have a look into the problem again, tomorrow evening when I can have a look at it and take pictures if needed!

Thanks for the helpful information everyone.

I can say that the stopper can simply be pulled off with a tug. Turning it does nothing, and there's no threads on the white cylinder it sits on, or the body of the stopper.

There's no leak per se. The water in the sink drains away quite slowly, but noticeable over the guts of a minute. While the stopper is depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ok, I've taken the stopper "lid" and cleaned the black rubber seal and put it back on. No joy.

Would it still help if I took a photo of it? Any help or suggestions appreciated:)

Ok, I've taken the stopper "lid" and cleaned the black rubber seal and put it back on. No joy.

Would it still help if I took a photo of it? Any help or suggestions appreciated:)

Photo please. As close and as many as 2 or 3 please. Photo open and photo close. Photo the waste itself and photo the plug itself as well. Put them on a dark coloured top to improve the image. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Semperet

Hi lads and lassies. First post. I've got a different problem with my click-clack thingy. I can't, to coin a phrase, get it up out of the drain now that it's been pushed down. Can't twist it anticlockwise as I did last time and any downward pressure embeds it further. When I do, hopefully following someone's advice here, it's going inthe bin and I'm getting a rubber one with a chain. Doing my head in. Ta for any hints.

Advertisement