Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

written warnings

Options
  • 04-08-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi. Im working in the restaurant 1year and 8 months (without contract) and lately Ive got 4 written warnings - first that I was late 3 min, second - for talking with my wife during my work, third - drinking to much red bull and last one for being late 10 min.. but never before like I saw in other topic
    "informal warning>formal verbal warning>written warning>final written warning"
    is it legal to give my those warnings for being late? I know the other warnings r reasonable..
    what I should do if my manager told me that is the last one... and then I'll be dismissed...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

hi. Im working in the restaurant 1year and 8 months (without contract) and lately Ive got 4 written warnings - first that I was late 3 min, second - for talking with my wife during my work, third - drinking to much red bull and last one for being late 10 min.. but never before like I saw in other topic
    is it legal to give my those warnings for being late? I know the other warnings r reasonable..
    what I should do if my manager told me that is the last one... and then I'll be dismissed...

Enough said....:rolleyes: You should not be working in full time employment without a contract! Your employer sounds like he's making these warnings/threats because he/she knows they will get away with it. You also have either very bad grammar or your are a foreigner national, in which case you should report your employer for not giving you a contract.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Check your employee handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nody wrote: »
    Check your employee handbook.
    As he doesn't have a contract, I doubt he has an employee handbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Compare the two:

informal warning>formal verbal warning>written warning>final written warning

written warning>written warning>written warning>written warning

As you're not on your "final written warning", it sounds like you're doing better than you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 alrilad

Hi all, I have a problem. I work for a large company in ireland and have been employeed by them for 3 years. I also have my own company along with my son which provides the same service as my employeer. When I was being interveiwed for this job I was honest and told them I also had my own company which provided the same service. I was never given a contract or asked to sign one or directly given an employee handbook, although part of my job was to give out employee handbooks to new employees. Over the past three years my company has got larger but I have never crossed paths with my employeer, Untill today. A large contract came up for public tender which my company was going to price for. The problem is my employer had this contract untill now and will be pricing for it again. They phoned me today and said it had come to there attention I was pricing this job and I was to pull out of pricing for the job or be let go. I explained I had told them I had my own company to which I got a reply saying we didnt know you were that big a company. I have never went looking to take any of there work. Have I a leg to stand on?? What can I do. Going to get legal advice tomorrow but would appriceate some help..

Kind Regards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You're a direct competitor now even if you did mention it originally; I'd say you'll have litttle leg to stand on even from a legal point of view (competition should not know each other bids etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 alrilad

I dont know anything about bids or money. I am only an area manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

As an employee you owe a duty of fidelity to your employer. Engaging in competition is a breach of that duty. Your employer is perfectly correct to tell you to withdraw from the tender or it will be the end of your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jo King wrote: »
    As an employee you owe a duty of fidelity to your employer. Engaging in competition is a breach of that duty. Your employer is perfectly correct to tell you to withdraw from the tender or it will be the end of your job.

Not only that, as the bid is for business that your current company already has, your employer can take out an injunction against you preventing you from tendering or bidding against them. This is even without a non-compete clause.
    TBH I hink you are having a laugh here, competing against your own employer and I'm surprised they are this leniant!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Smcgie wrote: »
    Enough said....:rolleyes: You should not be working in full time employment without a contract! Your employer sounds like he's making these warnings/threats because he/she knows they will get away with it.

I think the OP does have a contract, just not a written one:

"Anyone who works for an employer in Ireland for a regular wage or salary automatically has a contract of employment, regardless of whether it is written or not."

This process is not legally required from what I can tell. It is up to the employer to define their disciplinary procedure, it is only recommended that they have one in place.

I don't see how they wouldn't be legally allowed warn you.
    Smcgie wrote: »
    You also have either very bad grammar or your are a foreigner national, in which case you should report your employer for not giving you a contract.

Not sure what the OP's grammar has to do with it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement