Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on Insurance company paying out

• 04-08-2009 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi folks I have question regarding insurance company paying out. My friend had car broke into and they tryed to steal it, they didnt manage to do so but caused a lot of damage to the ignition area, so car was taken away by an engineer for the insurance company. Because the car is 15 years now but in great condition, only just passed nct last month, we are expecting insurance company to just write it off and say it isnt worth repairing. He spend 1500 euro on it 15 months ago, what do people think that the insurance company would pay out on this from personel experience. as am sure plenty of people here have had some experience with this, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Make/model of car? All depends on that. It could be a 15 year old Ferrari, or a 15 year old Toyota Carina..... Big difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Also depends on the cost of repairing the damage. TBH it's an impossible question to answer, especially with the limited information the OP's given us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As Anan1 says, it's impossible to make a call based on so little information. If the cost of repairing the damage gets close to 50% of the car's value I'd expect them to decide to write it off as uneconomic. Also, different insurers have different assessors in particular areas - some are far less generous than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

Sorry my bad its a Micra. When speaking to insurance company they mentioned to him that because of the year of the car it may not be worth fixing it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Your friend should dig out as many adverts looking for high prices and use these to justify a high price (depending on the condition of your friends car). However a 15 year old micra is really unlikely to be worth anything at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

94 micra.
    You'd be lucky to get 6-700 quid tbh

Yikes! €1500 spent fixing a Micra that old. Some (probably most) insurance assessors will already have decided to write it off before they've even had a chance to look at it. The recent NCT should help the pay-out value slightly.

Edit: Removed an error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

It was an import and there was only 45 miles on it. He actually only paid 1k in the end and not 1500, 1500 was asking price. He actually got a 6 month warranty which I thought was quite good as most places would only give 3 month warranty on a car of that age.

Ah. I had mis-read the post. I thought that €1500 had been spent fixing it. Not enough coffee today! Seeing as the car cost €1000, I'd say that there's very little chance if it being fixed.

Advertisement